Gibson mini humbucker neck screws?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Chunkocaster, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've been assembling a few partscasters with leftover parts I have accumulated and just installed a vintage Gibson or Epiphone mini humbucker in the neck position to fill the hole.
    I had a couple of screws from a cheap firebird pickup but they didn't fit so I MacGyvered it in there using the wrong screws with heat shrink over the threads and they managed to bite on the threads enough to adjust and stay put.

The holes didn't appear to be threaded, how were these pickups originally installed? Nuts on the end of a threaded screw?

20181125_170421.jpg
    20191206_223412.jpg

rangercaster and Fretting out like this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

I think if they aren’t threaded then you are probably right about the having a nut of some sort
    I think gibson humbuckers are similar and mount to a bracket with spring and don’t have threads on the pickup itself I’m not sure though as I haven’t taken one apart in a long time

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Thanks, I have forgotten too. I tried soldering around the holes with screws inserted to create a faux nut but it just kept on breaking. The heat shrink is holding but I don't think it will last for many height adjustments. I think these usually have a plastic surround that may be threaded to take the screws depending on what it came out of. I bought it used years ago and cant remember what guitar it had supposedly been taken from.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Gibson pickups all have a machine screw that goes through the ring and a spring into the tab. That holds the pickup at adjusted height

5. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

6. Chunkocaster

Thanks, That looks like it would work well. For that price plus overseas shipping and tax I think i'll make do with the hack job for now.:)

If I hadn't made a mess of the threads trying to solder I could have probably got away with a couple of small nuts and springs. I might have a go at making my own mount like in that link.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  7. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I made my own brackets. Bought a tap and die for 3-48 threads and used small aluminum flat bar sticks you can buy at a hardware store.

A hacksaw can cut them to length. Drill a slightly smaller hole. Then use the tap to hand turn threads into the hole.

Mine had soapbar style mounting rings though, and I needed to mount them to the pickguard of my SG:

CD1B22C0-CFAF-486C-8E61-6E9CB6E4F41B.jpeg

bender66, heffus, MickM and 1 other person like this.
  8. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

The LP Deluxe mini has screws that go through the ring and the pickup ear, and a nut is soldered or brazed on. The screws then go into a threaded aluminum plate that is mounted in the pickup rout, same as for a soapbar P90.

Deluxe_Mini_Humbucker_Mounting_Bracket[1].jpg

Vintage-1979-Gibson-Mini-Humbucker-Pickup-Mounting-Plate[1].jpg

bender66 and Chunkocaster like this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Nice looking SG, I think i'll just find some new threaded screws and use nuts and a couple of springs to mount it to the pickguard like a tele neck pickup.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Thanks, looks the same as the stew mac link. I considered making one but will look for screws and nuts to use with springs on the pickguard.

11. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Maybe superglue a couple of appropriate size nut onto the back side if the pickup legs.. Or solder them on..
    That StewMac kit looks like it would work nicely.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

13. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I just bought a HF tap & die kit to make some of these for a Filtertron set. Then Philadelphia Luthier had a sale so I just bought em. Once I recieved them I chuckled at how I should have made them myself. It was a push financially so I'm not out anything & I have a tap/die set.

Telenomics has the right idea.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  14. telemnemonics

6F1F77EC-1E4A-4B21-B4BD-D28C471395D8.jpeg I read this at work and found some clips in my cardware store stash but the wrong size.
    Here’s a Gibson full size with the tiny clip it came with, a Chinese mini with threaded tabs and a pat sticker mini with the same tabs as @Chunkocaster has.
    I’ve got the funny elevator rig from the old mini somewhere but it got cut off like they usually do.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  15. telemnemonics

0F43A7C7-734D-49BD-A6FA-DCEB57B8A764.jpeg
    Nothing wrong with DIY but TV Jones makes the parts you need to mount your tron in Gibson rings or Fender guards. Not sure it fits a Gretsch tron but it should.
    The ring has outside Gibson and inside tron dimensions.
    Such a simple solution but took half a century to discover!

Chunkocaster and bender66 like this.
  16. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

It's for some Fidelitrons into a Gretsch bezel.

They were pretty inexpensive at PLT so I wasn't so worried. I needed something else so wanting them came at a good time. I was just kind of excited to fab my own. There are plenty of other bits to make around my project piles.

17. telemnemonics

Yeah I like fabbing parts but was recently excited to see that TV Jones now makes it easy to drop trons in place of Gibson size HBs.
    Sadly the tabs can't be mounted on the dynasonics, but I think there are other options there too.
    I'm hoping the magnatron gets me toanz I love, basically a humbucking SC tone with extra power...maybe...

If not I may go straight to the $20 import Firebird pups I've modded and like a lot, they just look funny in a full size HB bezel.
    Thought about putting a full size HB cover on one, image is important!

18. telemnemonics

So @Chunkocaster how do you like the sound of that junk drawer pickup?
    Those are maybe the best sounding HBs Gibson ever made IMO next to the old Firebirds with correct wire and turn count.
    If one must have a neck pickup anyhow...

Durn guards all come with that durn hole that's gotta be plugged!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  19. Chunkocaster

I haven't had the time to finish it yet. That maple neck you see in the pic is a spare strat neck I had lying around, I bought bushings to fit vintage tuners in the modern holes but then went and broke a tuner on another tele the other day as I was using a power peg winder for the first time so I used a tuner that was for this guitar as a replacement. I need to order a new tuner for it but have been busy working on a couple of other partscasters.

This guitar is just getting all the leftover spares. I am looking forward to trying that pickup though. It might turn out to be a great guitar when done regardless of it being a random assortment of parts.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  20. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

BTW: It's incredibly easy to solder a nut onto those mini's. A dab of flux, flow some solder on the pickup tang. Place the nut on there with a screw and heat until it flows! Remove screw. I use the nuts with the built in star washer on them.

Volktar, heffus and Chunkocaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.