Gibson LP Junior bass guitars.

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by tonyj, Aug 14, 2019.

1. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

i own one or two Bass guitars, including a nice collection of Fender bass guitars. I also own a very pretty Pelham Blue Les Paul Junior DC EB11 which was from a 'Limited Run' issue back in 2011. This of course is a short scale bass, which received a number of excellent reviews, and deservedly so, when it first appeared.

As a short scale bass guitar, it really looks the part, sporting two chrome covered TB humbucker pickups - a TB Mini Humbucker at the neck, and a TB Plus Ceramic HB close to the impressive and heavily chromed bridge. It also sported a set of beautiful Grover Shamrock tuners, along with two volume and one tone control pots. There was no pick guard.

Overall this 2011 Bass is a very balanced guitar that is capable of providing some meaty high ends to go with the deep growls at the deep end. This a heck of a Bass, and in Pelham blue as mine is, it was a very attractive and affordable package that I had to have.

So ......how does this guitar compare in playability and quality with the recently issued LP Junior Bass guitar that I have yet to see? From photos I see a single pickup this time around; obvious of course - as this a Les Paul Junior(), and that huge pick guard! Apart from being visually different, is it as good or better than the 2011 version that some of us may still have or may fondly remember, and how do they compare in general terms. Any key issues or observations?

Anyone out there in tele land had a chance to compare these two? I am merely curious as I love my Fender bass guitars almost as much as I love my telecasters ....... Whilst my 1968 Telecaster Bass is indeed a treasure at fifty plus years of age (and still aging).

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Didn't Stu Cook play a Les Paul bass with Creedence, at least for a while? I would have thought (purely a guess) that it would be similar to a Gibson EB-series bass.
    I'm off to google this now......sounds interesting.

3. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Was eyeing that up..have the 19 LPJ & its very good,,,the bass could be very interesting. I like SG bass, you can just set a Gibson up so perfect for ones playing needs. Interested to hear some feedback on real experience

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Just a few photos that I have just taken of my 2011 Lim. Ed. LP Junior Bass guitar (posted above); uncropped and unmolested. Note; this guitar has a twenty fret neck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Zepfan, erratick and bftfender like this.
  5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Awesome..thanks for the pics !!!

6. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That is a very cool looking bass.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.