1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson les paul studio 60's tribute

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Frank B, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Frank B

Frank B Tele-Holic

Hi guys, just bought a little Fender Blues Junior for smaller gigs and to play a home, great little amp btw; to try it out at the store, I played a Les Paul Studio '60s Tribute.

I gotta say it felt pretty sweet. I like a slim neck on a LP (much like my recent Epi LP plain top std) and the slim taper felt suprisingly good. Action was a tad bit too high for my own taste but just by the way the neck felt and all, once lowered, it'd be ok. And those P90's... argh :twisted:

Now I'm not usually too fond of the of the whole worn look thing, I'm not looking to start a debate on whether or not it's cool and whatnot. It was black and it looked pretty darn good to me, that's all that matters.

I really liked the guitar and I miss the heck out of the Epi 56 goldtop I sold to my singer. Any thoughts on these ?
    http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-60s-Tribute/Specs.aspx
    [​IMG]

2. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Tele-Holic

Pretty good guitars, judging from what I've read on the MLP forums. If you're gonna get one in the Goldtop finish, you better hurry. Those tend to get sold out very quickly.

3. indiobravo

indiobravo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

i just bought one (i think it feels threatened with all the teles staring at it :p), and i gotta tell you, i love it. i was going to pick up an epi just to futz around with, but saw these and checked one out. feels fantastic. i got a black one. i liked the honey burst too.

4. Travst

Travst Tele-Holic

I have the 50s Tribute with the fatter neck profile. I've been very happy with the guitar. It plays beautifully and the pickups are pretty versatile. Most of the complaints I've read concerned multi-piece (more than 2-3) bodies, spots that weren't grainfilled (maybe Gibson was going for the sunken nitro look?) and such as that. I've owned a regular Studio since '91 when I purchased it new. I think the reason that people put down Studios is that they have to justify the extra expense for the binding on their guitars. ;)

Seriously, the Studios are great guitars. If you're willing to give up binding and inlays, you get a great guitar for a great price.

5. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I got a gold top one. I can't find anything bad to say about it at all. There's so little "relicing" that I didn't even notice it at first as the maple doesn't really show up against the gold. When I did see it I initially thought it was just a poorly applied finish instead of "relicing". It's really a "no excuses" guitar. It looks, sounds, and feels great.

6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

850 seems like a great deal.
    I wonder if they'll be around for 650 in a few months?
    Or...maybe they won't make enough to saturate the market and the prices will stay up.

7. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Tele-Meister

They are nice guitars for the money, no doubt.
    P90s rock.
    Have fun!

8. Frank B

Frank B Tele-Holic

I agree, they didn't go overboard with the "relicing" - it's 899$ cdn at that specific dealer. I can't see anything wrong with it... damn it lol - the gold top must look awesome, any pics bo ?

9. johnny-smooth

johnny-smooth TDPRI Member

bobo pics 003.jpg got mine a couple of weeks ago! Great player and a beauty!
    j

10. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wow, very nice! I've been gassing for a goldtop with a Bigsby for a long time. I assume your Bigsby is aftermarket?

11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!

12. johnny-smooth

johnny-smooth TDPRI Member

I used a vibramate mod and b7 bigsby. No holes needed, very easy install!
    j

13. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

I saw one at my local guitar store now i have to have one.Loved it.The Gold top will be mine very soon !

14. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

I got my gold top a couple weeks ago. Truly a great deal at $849. A real player with great tone. If you have any notion to get a Les Paul with P-90s, you can't go wrong.

15. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

Nice LPs. they are great sounding guitars.

16. JASS

JASS TDPRI Member

If you go to hellomusic.com before 9am tomorrow morning, you can get one for 700...

no affiliation, just coincidence

17. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

The "worn" goldtop followed me home Friday. The finish is a lot like the Fender Highway One, where if you try to buff it out all you get is shiny orange peel. I tried a small spot under the pickguard and it looks like there's not enough finish on there to try and get it level and buffed, so I'll leave it satin. It's more greenish-brown than the sparkly goldtops in the regular GibsonUSA production line, actually more like a VOS Historic goldtop finish to some degree.

With a little work deepening the nut slots, tweaking the trussrod (which is very responsive), and lowering the action, it plays just as well as my ES339 and Les Paul Standard Traditional.

In order to make a guitar that's a third the price, they give you a thin, satin off-the-gun finish, no binding on the body or neck, no pearl inlay logo on the headstock, and no hardshell case. Works for me.

18. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

I played one at GC last week.....it didn't do anything for me. Very uninspiring guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.