Gibson Les Paul Special

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by TeleBrew, Sep 29, 2013.

1. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    Nice I just need the mirror image :rolleyes:

TeleBrew likes this.
  2. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ha ha, thanks. I'm digging it, for sure.

3. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Other than original BFGs, SG Futura came with that configuration.

[​IMG]

4. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

The guitarist for Sleater-Kinney, Corin Tucker, plays a Les Paul Special DC Tribute.

5. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Kind of a cool guitar. Garbage music, though. :rolleyes:

6. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Here's one of the new 2019's. Really nice neck, fat but not too fat.

[​IMG]

7. bryan83

bryan83 Tele-Meister

I got one of the new Original collection LP Specials too. Flawless and a super cool guitar. Definitely one of my favorites :)

[​IMG]

TeleBrew, brookdalebill and stevemc like this.
  8. Torz Johnson

Mine was a little stiff to play, maybe it was the geometry of the wrap tailpiece or something. The strings weren't very easy to bend.

I put one of these Rockinger compensated wrap tailpieces on it, and somehow it also loosened up the action. Plus the Rockinger studs are german-engineered to be a perfect fit, so the tailpiece doesn't tilt forward under string tension. Not cheap, but worth its weight in gold to me.

[​IMG]

backporchmusic and brookdalebill like this.
  9. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

I very briefly played one of these today unplugged and was rather taken with it. Going to back soon for a proper go, I've always wanted at TV yellow special with a larger neck so it ticks all the boxes. It was also really light.

Are you still enjoying it? I would need to part with a couple of guitars to fund it but I've been thinking about thinning the herd anyway!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

10. Torz Johnson

I am still enjoying it for sure. Now's the time to get one because you never know what Gibson will do. Anything really cool usually doesn't last long.

kohoutec likes this.
  11. bossaddict

bossaddict Tele-Meister

I think the third time is the charm. :cool:

[​IMG]

brookdalebill likes this.
  12. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

Well I went back today and missed it by literally 30 minutes. Typical. It's been hanging on the wall for 8 weeks apparently and someone decided they needed it the same day I did
    So waiting for another to come into stock to try that

13. Torz Johnson

You can preorder at Andertons, next delivery is due Oct 4th.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-...-special-tv-yellow-nickel-wraparound-hardware

Sweetwater in the US has one in stock - it might be worth a call to see if they'll ship to the UK.

14. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

PMT in Manchester have got one in stock. Rang then today to try and get an idea of the weight but tbh they weren't very helpful.

My local store is Manson's in Exeter who are excellent.... They're going to ring me when they get one in, it's on order. I think I would rather play it before buying given Gibson's track record over the last couple of years...I know I can send it back if I order online but 1300 quid is a lot of money.... Plus I'm only half way there in terms of funds at the moment! I'm trying to be patient, want to hold out for the right one, hard as it is... But my GAS is strong and it's pretty much inevitable I'm going to end up with one of these bad boys, it's pretty much everything I want if I can find 'the one'

Just need to decide which of the herd I can part with to make up the shortfall. It's difficult

15. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Tele-Meister

My 1997 Special. Slim and narrow neck. Great guitar! Strung with 11's and tuned DADF#AD 31201882924_10479332c1_k.jpg 30539563583_a62f416c90_k.jpg

brookdalebill and TeleBrew like this.
  16. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Another 2019 Les Paul Special in TV Yellow, but it's a lefty! I just bought it from Southpaw Guitars. Arrived 9/23.

IMG_20190926_164720342.jpg IMG_20190926_164807014.jpg

bryan83 and brookdalebill like this.
  17. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

NGD...2019 LPSTV....I started drooling over these when I saw they were coming out this past year and finally made it happen. I did look at a couple used ones, as I swore I’d never buy new again, but this one (the neck especially) just checked all the boxes. The GC I went to had two in stock, and this one was quite a bit lighter than the other; I swear this one feels like it’s the same weight as my Strat. Looking forward to trying it out on a gig Saturday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

Hopefully a pointless question but how do these balance on a strap, any neck dive at all, especially those of you with light examples?

I'm still gassing badly for one of these but no stock locally (or pretty much anywhere in the uk) at the moment. Neck dive is my pet hate and if I have to end up ordering sight unseen I want to be as sure as I can it ain't gonna dive!

19. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

As I posted earlier, I tried two different guitars out in the store, but I did not try either with a strap, just sitting down. Nose dive is probably not going to be an issue ime though, as the heavier one of the two was actually pretty bottom heavy and somewhat uncomfortable to play sitting down (had to fight the bottom dive quite a bit). The lighter one balanced great sitting down.

Once I got mine home and tried it with a strap, it balanced perfectly, like a good Tele would. For the record, on my scale mine weighs 7lbs 6 ozs.

[​IMG]

kohoutec likes this.
  20. bryan83

bryan83 Tele-Meister

Still loving mine. I made a few upgrades. Faber tone-lock studs w/ compensated tail piece, mojoAxe historic wide bevel pick guard, and some knob pointers. Looking more like a real ‘56 Special now.

The Faber studs and bridge were a noticeable tone improvement. They brightened up the guitar and made it a bit more resonant.

[​IMG]

dannyh likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.