1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson Les Paul Special vs PRS S2 McCarty 594 Singlecut

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by 66Satellite, May 23, 2020.

1. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I'm not a P-90 guy. I'd buy a regular singlecut used rather than the new S2. Totally individual. All these options are good.

2. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

OP, I would probably get the Gibson, but that's because I've had lots of humbucker guitars in life already, including a few Les Pauls, and I know I like P90s for the music I play.
    For your first non-tele I suspect you'll be happier with the PRS, first of all because it's likely to be perfectly setup and the QC is likely to be flawless, which is nice. It will look and feel and play like something that is worth the money. The pickups in the S2s are good - they don't sound like a PAF but they are good, just a little hot. Good rock pickups. Another factor is the PRS 25" Scale is more familiar to a Fender guy than the Gibson scale.

The Gibson is going to be a roll of the dice, frankly, unless you can play it first. I would never, ever, ever order a Gibson over the internet unless it was an extremely good price.

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Another vote for the PRS, here. I’ve had a lot of LP specials. They’re cool, no doubt. But the PRS is in another league.

4. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Not usually a PRS fan, but I like their singlecut body a lot. It would be more versatile than the Gibson, but not as cool.

5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Just to throw one more idea out there - consider a used PRS SE Singlecut. Those can be found under $400 used in my area. Sweet guitars for not much money and you'll get a good sense of what non-tele life is like.

6. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

As always, my advice would be to play both if possible, and choose the one that feels and sounds best to you.
    But I've got to say, I've never ever picked up and played a PRS guitar that wasn't extremely well made. And given the way they've taken care of their employees during these trying times, they'd be the one getting my dime.

7. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

For me, the Les. All day, every day.

But I’ve got this anti-PRS bias. Totally ridiculous, I know. But, when I see one, I think “dentist’s guitar”. They may be superior player guitars. But, to me at least, the cool factor is zilch.

Apologies to all the PRS devotees. Just one guy’s opinion.

50ShadesofOrange likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.