Gibson Les Paul Special vs PRS S2 McCarty 594 Singlecut

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by 66Satellite, May 23, 2020.

1. 66Satellite

66Satellite Tele-Holic

2. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I have no favorites because I own both Gibson and PRS, but I would weigh the decision on what I didn't have and what I may be looking for. Personally the Gibby with P-90's appeals to me more, but where do you sit?

3. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I vote LP Special. True classic.

4. 66Satellite

66Satellite Tele-Holic

Ha ha I want both. I guess the Gibson is better at checking the "I need a Gibson" box but the PRS looks amazing. Both satisfy the "Les Paul" vibe I want (without the super bulky Les Paul).

5. 66Satellite

66Satellite Tele-Holic

Yeah probably leaning that way right now.

6. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

You have a couple of good choices.
    I made similar choices in what I own.
    PRS se singlecut standard (sorry, no pic)
    I installed Seth Lovers.
    Nice guitar.

Gibson Les Paul double cut, faded (2004)
    IMG_20190427_195305 (3).jpg

I expect my doublecut is very similar to the Special you are considering.
    I like the light weight (6.2 lbs.) and '50s style neck which is not quite as big as the PRS wide/fat. (I'm guessing on the w/f.)
    My LPDC is box stock and sounds great.
    I like the PRS but will be selling it at some point.

Mark

7. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

gimme the TV.... all day, every day. its been on my list for decades. and P90s rock

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  8. tbp0701

tbp0701 Tele-Afflicted

I've not played either of those, but I have an '08 PRS Mira (pre S2), '95 Hamer Artist (LP-ish "semi-solid" double cutaway with humbuckers) and a G&L Korina ASAT with P90s.

In short, the PRS is the easiest to play and everything about the design and construction seems well thought out. Compared to the Hamer and G&L, though, the sound is bright and thin. I usually roll off the tone control quite a bit. (It's the only PRS I've owned or even played for more than a few minutes, so I don't know if this is common).

The Hamer has a rich, deep tone but can get a bit wooly and muddy at the bottom end.

The G&L with P90s is a nice in between. It's deep and full without getting muddy and bright enough for definition. The hum/noise is a bit much, though. (It's also a bit heavier and more uncomfortable for me to play--I hit the stoptail where I have a scar).

So for now, anyway, I spend more time playing the Mira. It just does everything so well. I'll sometimes pickup the G&L and bask in the glory of P90 tone, but after a bit the whhrrzzz and comparative unwieldiness has me putting it back away. The Hamer could possibly displace the PRS if I got it refretted and the pickups better dialed in.

So based on that I'd probably pick the PRS, but I'm making an odd face as I type this as the P90 sound is groovetastic if you're okay with the noise.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Both are nice guitars that should last a lifetime and not need upgrades - but I've always wanted a TV Yellow LP Special, so that gets the nod from me.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The PRS will be a much better designed instrument.
    It will play, and stay in tune much better, too.
    The Special is cool also, but I’d go with the PRS.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    RoyBGood and Jakedog like this.
  11. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

You're throwing us a set of P90s vs a set of humbuckers??

12. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I own several Gibson and PRS guitars, including a Gibson LP Jr. and a PRS DGT.

If you want a guitars that stays in tune and offer a wider variety of tones, the PRS is the way to.

To me, for $100 more, it's a no brainer.

For looks ALONE, the Gibson Special wins hands down.

If your a home player, go for the limited tones and looks in the Gibson.

If you're a gigging musician who's planning on playing again after the C19 is over, then PRS is the answer.

Jakedog and brookdalebill like this.
  13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Man, that PRS looks SICK. Gibsons are all over the place and are solid guitars (as are PRS), but there aren't a whole lot that look like that PRS.

14. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I see them as two very different guitars. One has a maple top and humbuckers, one has a flat mahogany and p90s. Making a decision between those two concepts would be an important place to start.

Me? I'd go LP Special all day. I love p90s.

50ShadesofOrange likes this.
  15. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I would rather have a PRS than a Gibson. Both are great guitars, but the I think the PRS is a bit better.

My suggestion would be to get the Epiphone P90 Special(which is just as good as the Gibson special for a 1/3 of the price) and then get the PRS for the best of both worlds.

brookdalebill and jvin248 like this.
  16. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

The PRS. I’ve an Al diMeola PRS and a LP Special. I am not a P90 fan. They are so noisy

brookdalebill likes this.
  17. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

You're deciding between an apple and an orange. Clearly, you need both- the question is, which one do you want first? I'd go with the LP Special since I prefer P90s, and Specials pretty much peg the "Cool" meter.

18. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Get the PRS.

A while back I heard that if a session guitarist shows up without either a Tele or a PRS they are sent home and the next player is called. Studios are worried about tuning stability.

You'll have far less drama with a PRS than the LP. You'll worry about the LP headstock so it will live in its case and if you're a tough guy and don't worry about those things you could still get into drama if you ever decide to sell it they are a challenge to ship without breaking even when inside a hard case and double boxed. Then you've got a return and credit toward some glue but not the value loss.

An alternative is PRS has both an S2 and an SE model that is similar to the Core McCarty.
    And +1 the alternative of the Epiphone Junior is a great option too.
    You can get both styles of guitar if you do both the S2/SE and Epiphone.

19. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

I had the Special and loved how it sounded, but grew to dislike the neck. The fat C was too much for me, and I thought I liked fat necks. What I found that I really like is big shoulders. Also, when I bought the Special, I had demoed a Junior that turned me off because it was a total baseball bat. It's why I ended up with the Special. At the time, I demoed two Specials too, and found their necks a little different. Months later, I bought a Junior which happened to be a better fit, neckwise, and gets most of the same sounds of the Special (I never really favored the neck pickup) and was on some wild, unadvertised deal at GC. I played it WAY more than the Special.

So I would say in my limited experience to watch for a little variability between guitars and not to dismiss the lowly Junior (which is on a stand as, while not tough, I have a higher risk appetite with my guitars).

No experience with the PRS, sorry.

20. Irondog

Irondog Tele-Meister

both pretty good branches out definitely an Apple versus an orange.

I have 2 PRS core models... spectacular. I have purchased 3 different S2's models they are a solid B+ okay, but they all got shipped back within the 14 day trial periods. They are just okay not inspiring, pickups and hardware are just Korean made. they stay in tune and play fine but once you found a good core model they just come up slightly lacking, would've loved S2 when I was poor, but once you've tasted the upper echelon hard to step back.

however PRS has revived the well-deserved interest in wraparound stop tail. That gives the LP that extra special feel and flavor the string attack very awesome I strongly considered that Les Paul, I ended up with the PRS Ted stop tail wraparound.

not everybody likes it, but for me it gives a nuanced string attack, beautiful bending, and chords have a very extra special harmonic content that I can't explain why.

I would recommend you branch out, wraparound stop tail P 90s can be really nice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.