Gibson Les Paul Special Tribute HH - PCB Replacement Questions

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by teleman78, Jun 14, 2021.

1. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Afflicted

If the treble bleed is as easy as described, you should at least give it a try before replacing/rewiring everything. You could even try it without soldering anything; just alligator clip it in place and see if you like it. At best, it accomplishes what you want for less than $1. At worst, it is a failed experiment that wasted $1 and 10 minutes of your life.

teleman78 and Danb541 like this.
  2. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

"Two .22uF Orange Drop caps..."
    Umm, no. That would be two .022 mF caps.

teleman78 likes this.
  3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Another advantage of alligator clip experimentation is you could try a few different iterations of treble bleeds with different value caps and resistors (or no resistor at all) until you get the tone response that works best for you. Once you have that figured out, solder it into place. If I were doing that I would just clip long wires-- a couple of feet long each-- to the volume pot terminals so they come way out of the control cavity. Then I could use a breadboard to quickly try different configurations. Or just twist the components together the old-fashioned way.

But if you had a breadboard and an assortment of caps and resistors you could set up different configurations (both the values and series vs. parallel configurations) along different rows of the breadboard and then you could super quickly audition the various choices just by moving the leads coming out of the guitar to different rows of the breadboard.

upload_2021-6-15_15-45-45.png

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-use-a-breadboard/all

teleman78 likes this.
  4. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

Good point, definitely not $1 more like $10 because no one sells one resistor and one capacitor and there’s shipping too so $10 is more the actual number. I can spend $10 or $12 on experimenting with the treble bleed circuit. If I don’t like it now I have to spend another $35 on the electronics and go that route. It comes down to the difference of $25 and whether experiment or do it right from the get go and save time... to me is very clear what the best option is. Thanks for the suggestion though..

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  5. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

Thanks for your post, I will definitely try a 0.001uF cap on the neck volume. Regarding your comment about circuit board being there for reliability, I will have to strongly disagree...printed circuit boards are present in modern electronics for the same reason why they are on my Les Paul Special, that is to cut manufacturing costs.

6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Reliability and speed of manufacturing. That was my point. And higher reliability in manufacturing = less problems and repairs per unit sold. Plus more profit.

teleman78 likes this.
  7. Knave101

Knave101 TDPRI Member

Just finished changing out pickups on two LP Special from P-90's to Mini humbuckers. This guitar also has the circuit board. I would see little value in changing the circuit to 50's style, other than for aesthetics. The Printed board uses full size 500k pots, that work great, though I am not sure what kind of taper they have, and two .022uf caps. And I highly doubt that in this instance that there is any capacitance difference on the planar board between tracings to effect the "sound" versus point to point, especially as the tracings on the board are far from each other. The board does have the advantage of a more stable anchoring for the pots, such that they don't start to loosen and turn. I am not sure of the variety of caps they are using on the board, but one could certainly change the value, or variety, to maybe have a lighter touch on the tone knobs, or add a treble bleed as has been suggested. I have a bunch of vintage guitars, and it was refreshing to see a circuit board with full size pots....both reliable, and I'm sure cheaper to produce without any effect on the sound. I find no difference in the sound of the LP Specials, including when rolling off the tone, with the printed boards that I have, as compared to either my LP Custom shop 56' (w/p90s)...sound the same to me!.

This is much different than circuit boards in amps, vs point to point. This was pointed out to me quite clearly when I spilled a beer on a "reissue" fender amp in the early 90s....it fried out immediately...while my 58 Harvard has had 100 beers spilled on it....and it continues to work perfectly...however, I don't see a beer going into the back cavity of my guitar anytime soon.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    knavel likes this.
  8. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

This is a great suggestion, thank you! Spending $35 - $39 on pots and PIO caps then selling the board for $100 in the end making $60+ on the deal.. I'm all for that one! Thanks again!

Peegoo likes this.
  9. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

this is super interesting but seems very complicated, I wouldn’t even know where to start. Thanks for the suggestion .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.