1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson j-200 & Greg Lake

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by teleman1, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For the last 20 years I have left all my guitars out. I have a whole house humidifier plus individual humidifiers on the acoustics. An old local Martin repairman told me once that it was sudden changes that were damaging. If you were comfortable, so were the guitars. My Martin is nearly 50 years old and has some aging and minor checking. At nearly 50 years old it’s beautiful stuff. Look carefully next time you see a 50s Gibson or Martin on “GOTD”. Lots of checking going on. These are man made wooden things that will outlive most of us. I say put them on the wall so you can savor them and play the crap out of them.

2. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

If you like the J-200 sound but aren't rich, there's a J-100, which some years are identical to the J-200, w/o the fancy.

We had a guy bring his into the studio, and it was hands down the best-sounding acoustic we'd had, and there's been dozens of Martins, Taylors, Collings and Santa Cruz over the years.

The easiest ones to find are the ones with the maple back/sides and the crown inlays.

[​IMG]

I got lucky and found a sunburst with a regular bridge for $800 - everyone who hears it wants to buy it. These are not as common.

[​IMG]

nojazzhere, teleman1 and black_doug like this.
  3. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Wow, you made me realize mine is about 50 also. I have no checking. It has been kept inside in its case all of its life.

4. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I have tried a j-200 dud. And I think the only 100 was a dud. But I get it. I bet there are killer 100's. Honestly I wrote it off cause I expected to to sound similar to a J-200. I think it was an early Montana.

5. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Buying a new Gibson can be like that in my experience, too. I tried about a half dozen J-45s before I found one that sounded good.

brookdalebill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.