Gibson In Trouble?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Grabsplatter, Mar 8, 2016.

1. overlock

overlock Tele-Afflicted

Juszkeiwicz has only himself to blame. He has been spending beyond his means in an effort to turn Gibson into a "major new global entity" trading in "consumer audio products". Because being one of a handful of household names in musical instruments isn't good enough. Selling many thousands of high-end guitars all around the world may guarantee prosperity for yourself and your children. But if you want the serious money, you've got to be quoted on the stock markets and getting bigger every year. Forever.

drlucky and tealsixtysix like this.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Hm, another Gibson Doomed thread: is it Tuesday already? :lol:

Starshine and Archtop Bill like this.
  3. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

I like monty python too, but your signature pic is -very- annoying.

Skub likes this.
  4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

No it isn't.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Agree with that. Classic branding extension strategy ... that always fails because it dilutes the original. Better to start a second separate brand and run it on its own using common back office systems and distribution for the savings. They likely had consultants tell them in order to grow top sales they needed to do that, and in a couple of years the same consultants will tell them to divest of those products and get back to core to regain profitability. Meanwhile the consultants have made a tidy pile of cash for themselves on both projects.

6. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

Whenever I see a copy of Guitarist magazine with a Gibson on the cover - I never buy it.

I can appreciate them but, I like Telecasters....

Fendereedo and songtalk like this.
  7. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's

Here's a question I've wanted to ask for some time....
    How do you pronounce "Juszkiewicz"?
    JUS-ka-WITZ?
    jus-KI-which?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  8. overlock

overlock Tele-Afflicted

I'm not Polish, but I would opt for Yuss-ke-vitch. Unless the family has been in America for a couple of generations, in which case it's probably Jus-ka-witch.

9. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

I think its pronounced...

"J-E-R-K"

DW

J Hog, DRFP, JayJ and 2 others like this.
  10. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

A friend of mine was telling me that an older luthier explained to him, why its hard to find a great sounding and playing Les Paul off the rack at a retailer.

This might be old fart ranting, but, he says the guy claimed that in the old daze, the les pauls were made a lot more by hand, by real craftsmen and woodworkers with years experience blah blah blah.

I could see that, but he said things have changed completely at the factory now, machines have replaced humans and everything is now blueprinted and often spit out by machines and so now you can play 5 different les pauls now off the rack and they all sound and feel identical, but none are really special anymore.

Now I realize none of that may be true, or exaggerated, or maybe it was always like that anyway.
    Just passing it along. Gibson guitars arent selling like they used to, and there probably many reasons why. These stupid robot tuner guitars and the idiotic new tone control things arent helping them.

papaschtroumpf likes this.
  11. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe Fender will buy Gibson ? ;)

12. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I just a got a Pelham blue Midtown on a blow out deal and love it .I really dont mind robot tuners and they are not a deal breaker unless prehated on principle .Sounds great and looks even better ,no issues .Love it .Gibson cant make handmade guitars which always had issues anyway and fight imports and other competition .There are hundreds of similar guitars on the market from a few hundred to a million and Gibson has only its name ,history and quality to keep it in the frame ,and of course a secondhand market thats probably expanding as old rockers die .To many kids its an old farts guitar company anyway .Glad i got mine in while almost young enough to play it.

VWAmTele likes this.
  13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The concept of "core competency" could really help that company but there would be a number of messy years and a ton of pissed-off investors

14. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

"...we experienced a soft reception to our 2015 products" said Jerkowitz the CEO.

Yeah, almost nobody bought any because the 2015 Gibsons sucked. See how well they are hated on the MLP forum. From the robo-tuners, the death-bed signature, the hologram, the wide neck to the zero-fret nut, total crap, easily the most hated and ridiculed line of junk that Gibson ever slapped together. There, now I feel better.

15. 56strat

56strat Tele-Meister

I know there are a lot of Gibson haters out there, but I've personally bought 3 top quality Gibson guitars in the last few years and they're all great. Long live Gibson.

But I still grab my Telecaster more often than anything else.

Starshine likes this.
  16. jdto

jdto TDPRI Member

I gave the 2015s a shot because of the great prices available on the clearouts, but couldn't get past the wide fretboard. I decided to go with a 2016 LP Studio Faded that is great.

17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

+1

C'mon Jupe. Just because you can...

Big_Bend likes this.
  18. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Last new Gibson I bought was in 1981. Back then if I would've know anything I would've looked for an old Les Paul because the guys that knew anything knew the new Gibsons were junk then.
    Still got the piece of junk and don't plan to sell it.

jdto likes this.
  19. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mr. J's insistence on making products people don't want has harmed Gibson. He seems to think himself some sort of visionary on the future of the electric guitar. If you want to make an 'innovation', at least run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes. When you have such a storied history as Gibson, tread lightly on radical changes. Just my thoughts on the subject.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.