Gibson Falcon (GA-19RVT)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jack Clayton, Jul 15, 2019.

1. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

congrats on a nice amp

i really like the sound of the 60's stovetop type rvt amps

they have the real authentic old time sound that i like

FrontPU, oldgofaster and Jack Clayton like this.
  2. 68silverw/black

68silverw/black TDPRI Member

These amps have schematics very similar to a Brown 6G2 Princeton with added reverb. Your GA-19RVT is a Crestline as identified by the little red sticker right above the Gibson logo attached to the grill cloth. There are many ways to modify these, a few of those are demonstrated in this you tube video . I cannot get mine (1964 Crestline) to break up (that is why God gave us overdrive pedals!). It does have a Jensen Concert speaker (C12N) that sounds great. I agree that the tremolo and reverb might sound better than the Fender versions.

FrontPU and Jack Clayton like this.
  3. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

Yes, yours is the version one earlier than the Gibson/Epiphones I was talking about above, which are the sort in the link above to the Minuteman. I always thought the double slant were the "Crestlines" but I'm not any expert in this regard!

More importantly, it would seem that your earlier iteration than mine amplifier has the same sorts of issues I was talking about above that generally benefit from some tweaking/new speaker based on what Wally discusses.

Here is the youtube video where my brother runs through the work he did on my Crestline(?) / double slant Comet. It's fairly technical but is instructive on the sorts of work these amplifiers benefit from. Wally, he does talk about the reverb issue at 2:10. I misspoke--there is a tube, but no transformer.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    FrontPU and Wally like this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes, those circuits circled are the ones that we like to remove. I also see that there is no reverb driver transformer. It is also very much different from any Fender other than the Musicmaster in that the phase inversion is done with a transformer rather than a tube.

https://schematicheaven.net/gibsonamps/ga15rvt.pdf

I have owned a GA15RVT double slant....it was and still is a great little amp.

FrontPU and knavel like this.
  5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

That's the exact same model that I overhauled and modified for my cousin a few years ago.

Really the only modification I recalled doing was bypassing the "bridged T" component/circuitry, to get rid of the hardwired sucked mids effect. IIRC, there was only a single one in this particular GA-19RVT. It made a huge difference for the better, IMO.

I replaced every last electrolytic cap, which required a little bit of ingenuity.

Luckily for my cousin, all of the oddball tubes were in good shape. I think the 6V6s were also in good shape, which isn't entirely surprising.

The one thing he insisted on replacing was the original speaker, which looks like it's a Jensen C12R (this isn't a photo of his actual amp):
    [​IMG]
    ...And that reminds me that I still have that speaker, and it looks to be in decent shape, but I never bothered to even try it in anything else. It's still sitting in a box, and I may never get around to doing anything with it.

Anyway, I was really impressed with how the amp sounded, once it was all cleaned up. I kind of made the mistake of thinking I'd be happy with a 5E3 derivative instead, and I don't really regret going that route, but that GA-19RVT was really cool. Extra cool is the fact that it has verb and trem.

6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a near original one. I think it was a '63. I had to sell it due to some rough financial times. Just make sure everything is up to snuff and play it. They are unique amps and have their own voice. Don't try to make it something it's not. If you don't like it, sell it and get something else.

Jack Clayton likes this.
  7. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, I figured I was looking at the "single slant" you were talking about, but wasn't sure.

Fortunately, I'm actually really happy with the speaker as is. It's trebly to be sure, but it's got a fantastic clarity to it. It's a Jensen, which I imagine is the reason why. (I understand the stock Jensen speaker is part of what people love about these amps.)

Upon further demos, there are some more issues that I'm gonna need to address on this amp. The reverb cuts in and out for instance. I'm hoping that's just a dying tube, but we'll see.

8. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Could be the transducers in the Reverb tank or the rca cables? Maybe.

9. Jack Clayton

It certainly could be either of those things. But when I turn the reverb past about noon, I tend to also get an unpleasant hairy distortion that reminds me of a dying tube. Of course I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's both.

10. strat a various

My GA-17 needed a new Reverb Transformer.

11. Jack Clayton

You're not wrong. Any suggestions on balancing that out? I don't currently have an EQ pedal on my board. Should I consider one to pull in some lower end?

12. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Also known as missle series. titan,Saturn,falcon,minuteman, etc Big 60s

14. strat a various

There's a component in that amp ... Wally prolly knows what and where, that bleeds off the Mids. Got to yank it, and a couple other bits, and put in the right values. I put a better speaker in my similar amp ... your amp's little brother: GA-17. Ask Wally, there's not much he doesn't know.

15. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

Replacing the transformers in a vintage amp for no particular reason sounds like a good way to waste a bunch of money and make your amp less valuable at the same time.

16. Jack Clayton

Yeah, seems like the general consensus is that I should change as little as possible.

17. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

There is a D-Lab or Uncle Doug video where one of them talks about removing the "tone sucking" component circuit and replacing with the proper components.

You can identify the component as it looks like a small brown domino, somewhere in the tone stack.

18. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My bad, it was Guitologist. Not exactly the same amp, but has the same "tone sucking" network.

Jack Clayton likes this.
  19. cigaro

cigaro TDPRI Member

6L6s are too strong for your PT and OT. You'll damage the amp if you run them in it. I've owned a couple of these. They are a poor man's Princeton/Deluxe Reverb and are a great amp. If you have a buzz, tighten everything. Pots can be cleaned with spray contact cleaner.

JJ makes great tubes and you can get them online at eurotubes.com. I cant remember what type of tube is used for the phase inverter, but it is located next to the power tubes. You want a balanced tube in that slot.

Your buzz could also be old capacitors. New filter caps would probably be worth it.

Not sure what speaker it has but Jensens are good. A C12R would be good C12Qs are even nicer.

Good luck.

20. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

Congratulations. I have 2 GA19 RVTs that play beautifully. One is in my avatar. Both are fairly stock with the weird stock tubes and have been serviced. Both are dead silent, I keep the amp volume cranked and use the guitar volume for control. With a BadMonkey pedal you can make them scream and sustain for days. I don't get a brightness issue, try lowering the tone on your guitar.....
    The vibrato and reverb are as good as any I've heard. I love a humbucker through them, deep and rich, echoing. That crisp jazz-chord-change sound.
    About 10 years ago, 1st one for $175, beater from Columbus Guitar show, but it worked. 2nd from Toledo $400 vg condition, 3rd from Reverb, $450 vg condition.
    My $.02, have it brought to safe working condition, be it speaker, cord, caps, tubes etc. and play it. I have a '68 drip edge PR and it's great...but the GA19s make me lose track of time they are so much fun.
    ps, beater is now for parts, but it is rough.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.