Gibson es-339? how can i resist!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by thunderbyrd, Apr 18, 2019.

1. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

Agreed

2. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

You might really appreciate checking out the current production of Epiphone ES-339 Pro. You can get them with P90s or Humbuckers.

For many years I wouldn't have looked twice (nor even once) at an Epiphone guitar. Then along about two or three years ago, I picked up an Epiphone ES-339 Pro P90s at GC and that experience really turned my head around! I bought one.

Then, I decided to buy a Gibson ES-339 - and I did.

Comparing the two, I like the Epi better... and the price of the Epi ES-339 Pro is a small fraction of the price of the Gibson. I especially like the neck on the Epi much better than the Gibson. Build quality - they're on par.

Danjabellza likes this.
  3. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

I had a standard 339 and did not like it at all. Beautiful guitar but just couldn’t bond with it.

MilwMark likes this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’ve owned 3. Beautiful guitars. Great fit and finish. Played great.

For whatever reason the whole was less than the sum of the parts for me. Returned/sold them all.

5. Miguel-martinez

Miguel-martinez TDPRI Member

Amazing, buy it if you can and congratulations in advance.

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Everybody makes a turd now and then. We tend to judge a whole line of guitars by that one we picked up once, but in reality, it could be that one was a bad example. Who knows, maybe you'll come across another that'll end up as your number 1.

Danjabellza likes this.
  7. Chooglin59

Chooglin59 Tele-Meister

I ordered one online a few years ago. Tried to like it...but couldn't. Sent it back. Beautiful guitar though.

8. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

I've always loved the looks and sound of the 335 and the 339s, but I just can't seem to bond with them body-wise.
    I'm not a big guy and they just don't sit or feel right with me. Love to hear 'em in the right hands though!

Currently on the hunt for the right Gretsch for me instead, but can't handle any of the big 17" bodies either.

9. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not aware of any 339's being sold as historics or reissues since they only invented them in 2007, so there wouldn't really be any custom-shop 339's. To clarify, all the ES semi and full-hollow bodies are made in the Gibson "Memphis Custom" factory because that's where the presses are for the arched laminations. What we think of as the true "Custom Shop" has always been the Nashville Custom shop where the one-offs, historics, etc. are made (distinguished from "Gibson USA" production for the main line models also in Nashville). So if you have a Custom Shop guitar such as a Clapton ES-335 tribute, the body was made in Memphis and then everything else was made/finished in Nashville. For the rest of us who have ES's they were completely made in Memphis. My '07 ES-339 and '14 ES-390 say "Memphis Custom" on the decal and the case. But I wouldn't call them "custom shop" guitars.

I seem to recall reading there were threats/plans to close the Memphis plant as part of the reorganization.

10. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    No history about Gibson's custom shops, just addressing the OP original post mentioning 'custom shop'. Still a very fine guitar! :D

thunderbyrd likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.