Gibson ES-335 - Worth The Price?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ian_45, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

My dad has a 335 he reckons is from the early 80s (he acquired it in the late 90s) and the bridge pickup tone cannot be matched. It's got midrange throatiness, low-down pure balls but a top-end gritty snarl which I can't get enough of.

2. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

I'm thinking of getting a 335 as the main humbucker guitar for playing in my band. I will probably sell or trade in my 57RI Strat, which never gets played (I've got three other Strats, so I'll be fine for Strattage still!). Currently I use an Orville By Gibson LP for HB duties but there's something about a 335 that is calling me. I think they are beautiful guitars, whether in red or sunburst but I think what I'm most likely to go for is a Dot Reissue in red. My question is, is it going to sound good going through a Marshall DSL50 on all of the Black Crowes, Guns'n'Roses, Neil Young, Jet, Cheap Trick and Foo Fighters songs we play? I don't want to take the LP to gigs as well, so it'll need to cover all these bases.

3. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

Part of me wants to say yes, but another part of me wants to say no because I haven't purchased one yet. As far Gibsons go, I'm finding I might be more of an SG guy since I seem to be able to bond with them more than any other Gibson. That being said, if I suddenly won the lottery, it would be one of the first guitars I would buy.

4. mtown

mtown Tele-Meister

I've had my 335 plain top sunburst for about 3 weeks. Do I think it was worth the money? Well all I can say is, that it is the best playing electric guitar that I've ever owned. I went through 3 of them before I settled on this one. The 1st one had bridge issues, the 2nd one had some cosmetic problems. The 3rd was just about perfect. It has the tone I was after and GC gave me 15% off the price. I thought of cheaper alternatives but reasoned that if that's the sound I want then just buy the real thing and be done with it. I'm glad I did.

5. bangkok

bangkok TDPRI Member

Here are my two, a 1994 ES-335 for $1800 OTD and my Custom Shop ES-355 for $2000 OTD (that's my 71 Tele hiding in the back) from GC! Deals are to be had if you do the foot work. The 335 is my number one, there really isn't anything it can't do well! Nothing compares to a great Gibson once you find one!

[​IMG]

And try playing one (an ES-335) thru anyone of these, Heaven!! If you were trying to get great Fender clean tones would you buy a Line 6 modeller amp?:)

1964 Deluxe Reverb
    1965 Princeton Reverb
    1967 Super Reverb

[​IMG]

6. Les Fender

Les Fender TDPRI Member

Epiphone vs Gibson

No way ,you can't compare those 2 the price of a Gibson es 335 would be absurd if there was no difference.I have both and if you ever played a Gibson es 335 you never grab for the Epiphone again.

7. Les Fender

Les Fender TDPRI Member

Tobacco Es 335 DOT

Hey Bankok,

The Es 335 Tobacco is the same like mine (1993).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  8. jitensha

jitensha Tele-Holic

3 grand is a chunk of change, but if you find the right one its a lifetime investment. 3 grand divided by 40/50 years of playing is not so bad. Plus quality guitars tend to hold their value.

9. backsideslappy

backsideslappy Tele-Afflicted

I think it's probably an overshot to say that the Dot is "almost as good" - but there is certainly a point of diminishing returns in hollowbodies in terms of how they sound. Same applies in most fields of purchasing - if you compare a $700 guitar to a $350 guitar, there's a chance it might be twice as good if not more, but if you compare a $2000 guitar and a $4000 guitar, it might only be 20% better sounding.

A good argument made about the gibsons holding their value better though. A big plus if you are a person who buys an instrument then sells it some years later.

10. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

IMHO, Gibson hasn't been worth their salt for the past 25 years +! :cry::cry:

11. Les Fender

Les Fender TDPRI Member

Yes thats correct but not only a fraction of the price also a tiny fraction of playability,sound and feel.

12. Humbuster

Humbuster Tele-Meister

Seriously considering selling my 335 for one last "forever" Tele.

Looking at the Wildwood 52 Custom shops. Lots of coin, however it may be worth it for my last big guitar purchase.

Love the 335, however it is not as comfortable (large body) to me as a Tele.

13. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

A Dot is a nice-playing guitar. It's not a 335, though. The best guitar I ever played in a store was a 335. It sounded HUGE.

My Dot does me for now though, at least to look at :)

14. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

I had a great sounding Epiphone Sheraton II that I recently sold. Amazing sounding instrument... my only grievence was that it was VERY heavy and the weight was not evenly distributed such that the headstock would tilt below the body when I wasn't holding the neck up. I probably could have added a weight to keep the headstock from dipping but by then I'd probably have a 15lb guitar!

15. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Well I was reading this thread and saw my own post, I have since obtained an ES335 in what I consider my best ever guitar deal. My total outlay was less than one thousand dollars.

Attached Files:

16. DonMI6

DonMI6 Tele-Holic

Wow, great deal!

I just sold my 335 a few weeks ago. I absolutely agree with everyone who has posted about "finding the right one". They do seem to be more variable than typical Fenders. Must be because of the more hands on process of building them.

The good news is, It held it's value really well & I got back what I paid for it.

17. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Deleted post.

18. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

I've never seen a Gibson ES-335 without neck binding. Are you sure it's not a converted Epi?

19. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

20. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.