Gibson ES-125T

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by BigWillyInd, Mar 1, 2015.

1. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

How about this? Can't find a serial number, but my step-father seems to think it is quite old. Maybe an original. What do y'all think?

ForumRunner_20150301_153006.jpg

ForumRunner_20150301_153031.jpg

ForumRunner_20150301_153054.jpg

2. BigWillyInd

And it's got this funky old bridge too.

ForumRunner_20150301_153206.jpg

3. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Great looking guitar! These were made for a decade or so starting in 1956, so you undoubtedly have a real vintage piece there. They're at the lower end of the collectable scale as vintage Gibsons go and not the most versatile guitars in the world but they're well made with bags of character, and if it is a bit of a one trick pony a neck position P90 on an old Gibson archtop is a hell of a trick to have!

4. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Definitely original. Gibson has never done a re-issue of these. Great for classic jazz or Americana. If you use this type of bridge, you'll need to string her up with strings that come with a wound G. D'Addario EXL115W's, for example. An unwound G won't intonate properly.

I'm envious. How did you acquire it ?

Enjoy.

5. Jon C

Jon C Tele-Meister

Serial no. Was stamped into the back of the headstock (not a decal) ... My first good guitar was a new '66. I sold it in '74 to buy a Tele but found a nice '62 ES-125TC (with cutaway) in 1994 ... Brazilian rosewood board likely on that, they were on many esp. Earlier ones like the '62. Enjoy it.

6. Jamie Black

Jamie Black Friend of Leo's

Cool guitar, my brother has one just like it. I got to borrow it for a couple years as a kid to learn on.

7. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My friend has a '61 that looks exactly like that. Great guitar and he lets me borrow it : )

Amazing the tones you can get out of a single p-90 - even in the neck position.

8. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

If there is no stamp or impressed number on the back of the headstock, try looking for markings on the inside back viewed from the F holes. Might have a factory order number instead of a serial number, but they can be dated to certain years.

9. BigWillyInd

Thanks for that, makes sense why that G sounds so bad now.
    And sorry, it's not mine. Yet.
    The owner has said he doesn't want to part with it, but also that he never uses it. Sounds like bull-oney to me.

10. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Intonation with a plain G is slightly better if you flip the bridge. ;)

11. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

gibson did a reissue of the es135t which is the same guitar but with binding. i don't think it sold well and doesn't appear to be as good as the older ones.

i've used wound and plain 3rd on my es125t. each gives a completely different sound so it may be subjective. with that bridge you probably won't get perfect intonation anyway.

hope you get it as those p90s are great pickups!

play music!

12. BigWillyInd

Ya know, at first I wasn't completely in love but it's all I can think about now. If the owner don't want to sell, it ain't gonna matter.

13. BigWillyInd

And something I find myself wondering about, what does "Thinline" actually mean? Is it that the body on the 125t is thinner than the 125 archtop?

14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, the 125T is thinner like a 335 and the 125 is deep like a regular acoustic archtop. I have both, a 1953 ES-125 and a 1965 ES125T.

15. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

"Thinline" refers to the body thickness, a ES-125 is around 3-1/2 inches wide.

16. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

The ES 125T seems to be underrated. The few I've played have been excellent - beefy neck profile; comfortable to play both sitting or standing; and a P90 on top of it all. Definitely on my GAS short list.

17. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

I've got a 125-TDC (DC = 2 pickups and a cutaway). Not the easiest guitar to play, for me at least, as it's got frets that are rather wide, but not very tall. However, it's a 1967 so perhaps fret profiles changed.

D.H.

pickups.jpg

18. BigWillyInd

That model sure looks a lot like my other Gibson, the ES-137. But that's the dc model, of the 125?

19. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Here is my 1965 ES-125T

[​IMG]

20. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

This is my ES-125 TDC (also marked as TCD in some years). It is a 1966, and as you can see in comparison to Dave Hicks' guitar, mine was the last year with the floating wood-base bridge. Mine originally had the compensated wood bridge, but someone anchored it and put a Tune-o-matic on it before it came into my possession. The original plain black bell plate has been "upgraded", as well.

The red is almost completely gone from it, but you can see some of the original red left where the pickguard met the neck.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.