1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson EB-x bass pickup in guitar, Boz Scaggs

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by stale facet, Nov 21, 2020.

1. stale facet

stale facet TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Boz Scagg's guitar on the cover of Steve Miller Band's Sailor album (shown below) has been haunting me. Does anyone know how he used the pickup, or how it would work with one's sound? I noticed there are two additional knobs installed over the pickup.

Because, while it would be fun to do, if it was to achieve something that was eventually solved by newer pickups/instruments I would probably just do that. So intrigued though.

image.jpeg

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Interesting. Maybe he wanted a good clean tone.

I have a 4 string CBG that uses PBass pickups(1 in the neck, 1 in the bridge & a 4-way switch). It had a nice clean tone with 250k pots til I switched them to 500k, then they sound like mini-P90's.

3. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Appears Steve Miller’s instrument has a P-Bass set in the neck position. Both guitars could be late ‘60 Alembic mods.

Have always dug that LP.

4. stale facet

Interesting! This may explain some of why he and Steve made those mods.

Why Alembic?

That Cal Webway likes this.
  5. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Why? San Francisco. But Alembic is a guess based on SF bands playing Alembic modded amps and guitars in the late '60s.

stale facet likes this.
  6. stale facet

I didn't make the SF->Alembic connection. Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure if it was a known type of mod that Alembic used to do for people.

Any guesses, besides clarity, of what this would do for a guitar sound? Would the sidewound nature of the EB pickup provide something different than regular guitar pickups?

Don't make me have to buy one and drop it into a tele to find out...

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

At first glance I thought it was a WRHB, but you may be right because it has 4 poles on top and 4 pols on the bottom.

8. stale facet

There's another picture I found where you can see it more clearly:
    36666102_1078943432255912_7776901702388547584_n.jpg
    (from here: https://www.facebook.com/pg/Groovy-Guilds-1952-1995-274789829337947/posts/)

My feeling is that someone must have written about it somewhere. All leads/theories appreciated.

It seems like it could be sonically interesting...or just dumb.

Zepfan likes this.
  9. stale facet

For anyone interested in the concept of an EB-0 bass pickup in a guitar, a friend found the answer:

from talk bass.com (https://www.talkbass.com/threads/uncommon-pup-combos.146387/page-2):
    “2…I played with Boz afew years ago and asked him about that bass Humbucker on the "Sailor" cover photo. He told me that Steve Miller had an endorser deal with GUILD guitars and when they asked him what he would like he replied " Oh I dunno, how about puttin' a bass humbucker on one" Boz told me it had a very dark tone LOL! I told him I had wondered about that pickup choice for twenty five years!!”

Possibly true.

but the reason here may just be: young dudes messing with their corporate sponsors. I endorse that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.