Gibson destroying their own Firebird X guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fred Rogers, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Chief101

Chief101 TDPRI Member

And yet no one seems to care that Pete Townsend destroyed just as many good guitars in his career - only he did them one at a time. Pete’s antics are celebrated as “Rock&Roll” and Gibson’s acts are decried. Hypocrisy has become sport.

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

So Gibson essentially destroyed a line of guitars because they had a bad design flaw. Please somebody post the video where they destroy the robo-tuners.

Alter likes this.
  3. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

This topic is not a matter of survival or comfort either, one has to do with the other. Whatever the level, there is a need that could be satisfied but wasn’t.

4. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

That could have been anything to hand that you vented your frustration on, luckily for all concerned it wasn’t a power tool, mirror or whatever.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  5. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Don’t like the song but totally agree with the sentiment.

stevemc and Phrygian77 like this.
  6. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, right, less than hiring the plant and driver to destroy them I reckon.

7. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Not by me they’re not!

stevemc likes this.
  8. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Um, not a corporation's duty to satisfy that particular need.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

A good many people DID care about Pete Townshend, Jimi Hendrix, and others destroying guitars.....and objected to it. An argument COULD be made (though not by me) that Townshend's actions were "performance art", and thus justified for the sake of his art. Gibson's action, IMHO, were simply destruction for the sake of destroying. I see a difference in the two.....although Gibson is perfectly in their right to do what they wish with their own property. I don't buy any argument about social responsibility here, although I do wish there had been some alternative.

10. strat a various

Wow. You think Gibson would spend money and resources for the sake of destroying? Lol. When a corporation destroys old stock, it's to save money or avoid fines or lawsuits. FYI.

11. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

The other thread has an interesting and informative post by a guy who worked on these things. The claim of a dangerous defect may actually have a grain of truth in it.

Doesn’t explain why they weren’t written off at the time though.

Cheers,
    Geoff

12. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

No, they try to create needs and, when they get it wrong, write it off.

13. strat a various

How does Gibson create a need? C'mon, you're kidding, right?

14. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

After being run over, the guitars were still in better condition than half of what hangs on the wall in most Guitar Centers.

Milspec and dlew919 like this.
  15. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

That’s part of Gibson’s problem. They create a product that no one ever asked for and couldn’t get people to need it. Same thing is beginning to happen with mobile ‘phones. Apple etc. have so far been able to add features to their new releases that people just had to have. They’re now finding it’s not so easy to get someone to swap a $600 unit they bought a couple of years ago for the benefit of an extra camera and a different case.
    I bet Fender don’t put so many new models in stock up front that, if they’re Slow sellers, they have to destroy them.
    All companies sometimes get it wrong. One way supply can’t meet demand, sometimes leads to items being bought and sold on for a profit the next day. The opposite sees manufacturers, or shoos, sitting on unsold stock. That usually results in a blow out sale somewhere down the line, usually the shop’s margin is hammered but occasionally a canny store owner will grab the excess stock at a discount and sell it off for low money whilst maintaining a reasonable margin.
    Gibson seem to throw something at the market with little reliable research and wonder why it sits in the warehouse. But, to get back to the original discussion, they could still be charitable when it comes to shifting it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  16. strat a various

So, now they didn't create a need, they created a product. That's sort of their job. Are you bunched up because they predicted the product would be popular (New Coke) and it wasn't? That happens all the time. Is that bad? Should they be better at predicting what customers will buy? Should they hire a fortune teller? Will Fender be crushing the new solid state Twins and Deluxes?

17. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

That video sort of explanes the shape my last Tribute arrived in. I guess it must have gotten mixed up with thoses Firebirds, and shipped anyway.

dlew919 likes this.
  18. strat a various

OK, I got it. Charity. Gibson prolly engages in charity when the accountants say they need a write off, like every other company. What is this thing with wanting free ugly guitars for needy slackers? No one owes these delinquents an electric guitar. It's not food, it's not shelter. Do they owe them an amp, too? Cause, you know, those guitars aren't very audible without an amp.

19. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Just stating what appears to most people to be obvious, produce stuff with too little research and it probably won’t sell. You can’t predict a need without asking potential buyers, New Coke failed, it seems, because they only ‘predicted’ it would be popular. One of the reasons Leo was successful was that he asked his potential customers what they wanted and made sure he’d got it right before he started to promote them. He maybe got it wrong a couple or three times, Gibson make a habit of it. I’m not bunched up about having a discussion about product development, market research etc, why would I be. I’m not tgat bunched up about the destruction of $K’s worth of guitars that could have gone to good homes. Just giving an opinion.

20. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Sad that you have such an unsympathetic view of those that are not as comfortably off as you. They are not all useless work shy slackers. Hope you never need help of any kind.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.