1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson brought back the Deluxe.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jakedog, Mar 22, 2021.

1. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

I was in music retail when the Deluxe was introduced. Up to that point the only Les Paul you could get with humbuckers was the expensive Custom with the "Fretless Blunder" frets. When the Deluxe came out I couldn't get enough of 'em at any one point in time to actually hang one on the racks. They'd sell as fast as I could get them off the truck. Saw Trogly's video on these, really seems to be a '50s with mini hummers. No three peice neck, volutes or pancake bodies....which may be blessings.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    Jakedog likes this.
  2. Yuro

Yuro Tele-Meister

Jakedog likes this.
  3. Yuro

Yuro Tele-Meister

They split the difference...and in a good way.

I bought an Electra LP lawsuit copy from the 80's. People actually collect that stuff now. It was all birds eye maple with abalone fretboard markers and a very nice headstock inlay. Pick guard is clear plexi. It looks elegant! I put the pick guard in storage...also the cheezy case that was showing a little wear just storing the guitar in it. I had an old LP case that I'm using for it. It's a real player and I like it a lot!

Electra also made guitars with a plug-in system so you could easily change pickups etc. I think those are rubbish, but this sounds and looks pretty great.

Friend has a LP Deluxe gold top from the early days. It also sounds very nice...but it's a brick! Most were really heavy for some reason. That and the prices they get for them are why I never bought one.

This looks kinda cool though...if they make one that's a reasonable weight. I don't do 10 lb guitars...except the electra...which was cheap.

4. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Nice!

5. KBarW

KBarW Tele-Meister

Bought my '73 Sunburst Deluxe brand new in January of 1974. It's been my go-to guitar for 47 years for playing rock. Not as dirty as standard humbuckers.

I still use the original leather strap that came with that guitar.....

Attached Files:

6. Chevalier

Chevalier TDPRI Member

Thanks to Scott and Brian of Thin Lizzy, Pete Townshend of the Who, and Johnny Fean of Horslips I had to have one of these... great to see them back.

P1090948.jpg

7. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Tele-Meister

Perhaps the Cherry Sunbursts had the maple necks and a maple back sandwich, and the others had the the mahogany necks and backs because the tops were either wine red or gold. Also, around 1980, the Japanese discovered bowling and built something like 50,000 bowling alleys in a single year, driving the price of maple up from $2.20/bf to $4.40/bf. I could buy Koa for less back then.

50ShadesofOrange and Jakedog like this.
  8. mike stanger

mike stanger TDPRI Member

I have an old friend who owns a '73 Deluxe. He let me have it for several years in the 90s, and I do love those mini-humbuckers! As noted, they're brighter than the others, and they sustain like crazy- the note will hang and hang for what seems to be minutes. Les Paul loved that sustain.

Coincidentally, my old pal just called Monday, the first time I've heard from him in 10 years.
    After he got the Paul back from me, he gave it to another friend of his. Then 30 years later, discovered his friend didn't like the guitar and never played it, so he took it back.
    ...and now wants me to take it for a while again, partly to inspect, as his buddy said the neck was warped, and partly just to have someone play it again.
    I doubt there's anything wrong with the new that a tweak of the truss rod can't fix, and I can't remember anything being wrong with it for the couple of years I had it back then.

In my experience, it takes something pretty severe to warp a guitar neck that's over 30 years old. Warpage always seems to happen from when the neck is new to about 20 years of age, the time it takes for a warp to become severe enough to be easily noticed when the instrument is played. Past 20, a warped neck only gets worse, but older necks just don't begin warping unless there's some other crazy changes going on with the instrument.

I'll be very happy to see it again, for sure. It's a guitar I really enjoyed, even though the Les Paul has always been too small in the body to really suit me. I'm a tall guy and the Paul has never been as comfortable while sitting as a Tele to me. I always end up feeling too hunched over while playing one after some time spent playing.

They're fine when I stand up and play, though, and their weight hasn't ever bothered me very much.
    regards,
    stanger

kookaburra and Jakedog like this.
  9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Same here. I was jonesing for a Thinline but FMC doesn't offer any I like right now so my next purchase will be a Gibson or Epiphone SG with P90s.

Jakedog likes this.
  10. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I’m a Deluxe fan. My first Deluxe and first guitar with mini humbuckers.

37C4CCB5-3B29-4DA9-86AC-98F1B84F18A1.jpeg

11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I suppose another very viable option is buying any of the P90 equipped Les Pauls and putting mini-humbuckers in their place.
    P90 lovers will consider it blasphemy but hey, it's your guitar so put whatever pickups in there you want! Just don't route it out
    and put Dimarzio Super Distortion full size HBs in there. That's already been done plenty of times.

Jakedog likes this.
  12. eean

eean TDPRI Member

13. fredwrites

fredwrites TDPRI Member

Thanks for the heads-up — just pre-ordered one! Probably won’t get it until May, earliest. I always loved these guitars. And just when I thought my collection was complete!

14. freddyking

freddyking TDPRI Member

;
    I bought my Sunburst Deluxe in May of 1972 from Sam Pugh at Hewgleys; traded in a 1971 Telecaster I had bought from Cotten Music down in the Village. I had a letter from Gibson that dated it to November of 1970 but it was later specs(pancake,volute,etc.) I had Bill Lawrence put in his early L90's with Q and L filters.Sold it to a guy in Jacksonville;been looking for it ever since just for the electronics. Serial number 627472 if anyone sees it.

Jakedog and Censport like this.
  15. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange Tele-Meister

That might be the most amazing fun fact I’ve heard in months.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. Captdan61

Captdan61 TDPRI Member

That was a pretty darn common thing to do to them back then probably DiMarzio super Distortion double creams without the covers maybe with a coil tap switch and all I don't know maybe up her brass nut? Sounds like the 70s to me. I had a wine red one in the 90s that was from the seventies it had two mini humbuckers it was routed for a normal sized humbucker in between the two like Pete Townsend it had a coil tap switch. And it was wine red and probably weighed about 10 lb kind of a fun guitar.

17. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

I remember Sam fondly. Maybe 8-10 years ago, I was in a local car club with a guy that was friends with Jim Broadus. So one club meeting, he brought Jim with him. It was great to see him and reminisce about old times. I can still remember Jim smoking a cigarette and drinking coffee at 3 in the afternoon... in the middle of summer! At that time, his wife Judy had been gone for several years, and we talked about how she was one-in-a-million. Those people were fun to work with and for. They've all passed since then. I miss them.

kookaburra and NoTeleBob like this.
  18. hegn

hegn Tele-Meister

The DeLuxe is a great Les Paul! I have two Goldtops from ‘71 (and no trgular Les Paul). I don`t use them everyday,but when I do they bring a smile to my face ...

Jakedog and Censport like this.
  19. mojodelic

mojodelic TDPRI Member

My first real guitar was a '77 goldtop deluxe, I think I paid $500 for it. Lessons bought.

Attached Files:

Jakedog likes this.
  20. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Wouldn't be right.

I'm thinking an SG too with P90s. I have to be other bases covered. Nice upper feet access on a full double cut.

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.