Gibson BR3: Anybody into vintage lapsteels?

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I had a couple back when they were dirt cheap on Ebay. A Supro and a National. I think I paid less than $75-100 for either shipped. That was probably 12 years ago or more. Not sure today. They seem very durable, and probably rust, tuners or pots that are frozen are mainly what to look for.

jayyj

Tele-Afflicted
I have a BR-4 which is basically the same guitar with body binding. They're good steels, very well made, the pickups can be a bit noisy but they sound good. The fingerboard is very hard to see on a dark stage, as I once found out to my cost!

The nice thing with vintage lap steels is there not much to go wrong with them - as long as the electrics work they should be good to go.

Paulie13

Tele-Holic
I have a BR-4 which is basically the same guitar with body binding. They're good steels, very well made, the pickups can be a bit noisy but they sound good. The fingerboard is very hard to see on a dark stage, as I once found out to my cost!

The nice thing with vintage lap steels is there not much to go wrong with them - as long as the electrics work they should be good to go.

Wow that’s gorgeous! Would $600 be a fair price for one? I can’t find much online to reference sold prices.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
I would be into vintage lap steels if I could afford them anymore! In my part of the world the asking prices have gotten out of hand, so I ended up with three contemporary models.

I kick myself because back in the 90's, Wedgle's Pawn in Denver had a basement full of them, I mean hundreds of vintage lap steels, that they couldn't give away. They were mostly like $75. But I filed it away for "someday" and now all those beautiful guitars are going for crazy money.

The nice thing is there's not much to go wrong or screw up with a lap steel, so the old ones are great if you can get your hands on one, and the new ones are just as nice. The new Gretsch models are particularly gorgeous, IMO.

Good luck!

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I only buy vintage LSGs.

I would say a $1,000.00 plus, depending on condition, for a BR3.

19DC3461-1F0F-4207-8F24-CC9B7EF7364E.jpeg

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Holic
I own a lap steel, but mine was a Sears Silvertone lapsteel.

Joe Perry used the lap steel on Home Tonight by Aerosmith, but his I think may have been a Rickenbacker bakelite and not a Gibson.

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Is that a Magnatone on the far right? I have a 1951 Magnatone Amerloha that has the same shape, but has the "mother of toilet seat" finish. Plus, since it was a student model, each fret is numbered.

As far as I know, yes. From my limited research, the fingerboard design (diamonds and F-holes) is Magnatone through and through.

Last edited:

John Owen

Friend of Leo's

Looks just like mine! I love the pickups on these and I love the way they look. To the OP - I paid about $750 for one of these about 10 years ago. You can get an old Oahu or Supro for less but I think you are on the right track with a BR-3 or BR-4. They are the coolest.