1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson Asking Players to Report Counterfeit Guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jun 25, 2019.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I think Gibson should adopt that label's slogan as their own......"QUALRRY INSTRUMENTS SINCE 1873".

Chunkocaster and WetBandit like this.
  2. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

in other news, Dunlop asked people to report counterfeit picks, and ASCAP asked listeners to report counterfeit notes.
    I think I heard a bootleg triplet on the radio this morning....

god asked all players to report any countefeit realitys they may encounter, virtual or otherwise...

WetBandit likes this.
  3. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

That looks roughly to be about 1/8 scale...so if my calculations are correct that little jewel should set you back about $312.50 of course that's a small price to pay for "Authenticity"...

Buy from an authorized "authentic" dealer only...

Could you perhaps put a peice of tape over that logo though? You wouldn't want your little production getting sued for trademark infringement...

You need to email Gibson, before you post a picture of one of their "ICONIC" trademarks so you can cut them a check.... so that you will be granted the privilege of showing such an unmistakable work of art without the risk of retaliation.

I mean, showing someone else's product on such a large platform is damaging to the brand... and in no way could be considered free advertisement.

Or they could go the other direction and send the "adjuster" out and rearrange your knee caps and outfit you with their latest innovation in footwear.... the Lego pale filled with Quikrete.

I guess now we know what really happened to Jimmy Hoffa...he didn't "play authentic" and he had to be dealt with.

Now before anyone says, "they cant use the names "Lego" or "Quikrete".... not so fast.

Orville Gibson trademarked/copyrighted both those terms in 1325 B.C.

And the Lego Corporation and Quikrete have already got their letters and court dates...

Make no mistake, Gibson is here to protect their "Iconic legacy" by any means unnecessary.

Disclaimer: I, Wetbandit, have requested permission to use all the above trademarks and copyrights.... it only cost me $34,376.88 and my first born child (if and when they arrive).

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Funny how we expect Gibson to be okay with other companies stealing their designs. Sort of how we expect artists to be okay with us taking pirated copies of their songs

Wallo Tweed, MilwMark and MattyK-USA like this.
  5. 3-Chord-Genius

Mine was not like that.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

WetBandit likes this.
  7. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Holic

Here's a local CL listing. (At least the seller is honest). If someone were to report this, just what could Gibson do about it? Maybe this type of thing isn't their target.

Gibson Custom Les Paul Supreme Tiger Flame Made in China - $550 (Louisville)

image 1 of 5
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Please read details in full:

This is a Chinese version of a Gibson Custom Les Paul Supreme Tiger Flame made in China, regardless it states U.S.A. on the back of the head stock. Reason guitar is listed at such a low price. What's very impressive is the fact it sounds and plays like the "real deal" Gibson Les Paul guitars made here in the U.S.A. I've owned a couple USA made Gibson Les Paul guitars. It does play and sound very identical. The action is low, upgraded ebony fret board, gold hardware.

Was planning on upgrading pickups, real USA made Gibson hardware, keeping guitar. Unfortunately had an unexpected financial situation arise which is the only reason why I'm selling my guitar. Has been carefully handled and barely played (8 to 10 hours total). Guitar is still in "new condition." You won't find a copy of a Gibson Les Paul version in general for this price range and quality standard, regardless this guitar was made in "high end" custom guitar factory in China.

The real deal USA made Gibson Les Paul Supreme guitars sell for way more.
    Anyone can view a used one on this Reverb link currently listed for sale:
    https://reverb.com/item/ show contact info -gibson-les-paul-supreme-root-beer

Please note: Guitar case not included.

$500.00 Firm (cash only). Will meet at safe local place.

8. 3-Chord-Genius

I sold my Chinese "Gibson" on craigsllist just like this, being upfront and honest about what it was, and had a buyer almost immediately. I also had a few other guys, the "craigslist police squad", or whatever, telling me that I cannot sell it. I wrote back to them and told them that not only could I sell it, but that I had done so. In fact, I sold it for about $50 more than I paid for it, which I think is fair since buying it from me was low-risk (no threat of customs getting involved, etc.).

9. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Technically, they were correct. It's illegal in the US to sell something, even second-hand, that you know is counterfeit. It's also illegal, I believe, to transport it across state lines for the purpose of selling. Oddly, it's not illegal to buy something that you know is counterfeit. Still, I can't imagine any law enforcement agency in the country devoting even three seconds of attention to a transaction like that when people are openly selling these things by the trunkful.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. WetBandit

I think the point Gibson should be taking from this is, if they could put out a guitar that was made in a more affordable labor/material situation that actually said Gibson and had their "Iconic" shapes there wouldn't even be a Chinese counterfeit market...

If anything the Chinese have only proven that it can be made affordably and sold affordably.

If Gibson actually made it themselves, the problem wouldn't exist at least not at the scale that it does.

Owenmoney likes this.
  11. 3-Chord-Genius

In all fairness, the reason China can make them affordably to us is because of the wage differences between the U.S. and China, and the fact that those clones, as cool as they are, are not on the same level as Gibsons with regard to quality. They are good guitars, though. I actually think Gibson is more focused on other legit companies manufacturing guitars based on Gibson designs. If they push hard enough, and get into the right courts, there could be TONS of "lawsuit guitars" on the market 20 years from now.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. WetBandit

Heck, all the Chinese have really done is show Gibson the answer... by consuming the market share that they refuse to.

Obviously there's a HUGE market for a low cost Gibson...

For some reason Gibson doesn't realize it or they just do not care... one is ignorant the other stupid.

Either way, the market share isn't going to them, and they lose money. And more and more fakes are made everyday, because people BUY them.

Owenmoney and Vespa_One like this.
  13. WetBandit

They have made certain they are in the right courts...

Eastern district of Texas. Known for their expedient verdicts.

There are strict time limits and eevidence limits imposed by the court to make for speedy rulings.

This system is strongly in favor of the plaintiffs, in this case Gibson.

They have tried really hard to have loaded dice in this situation...

But I still think they will lose and deserve to.

Owenmoney likes this.
  14. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

How much are they paying? I'll do it for $50 a snitch.

15. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I was wondering how this was going to affect Norm's, for example, a retailer who sells counterfeit (according to Gibson) products & even records video demos of said products as proof.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  16. nojazzhere

You probably didn't read it before making this post, but 3-Chord's post above answers your issues. All jokes on Gibson's quality aside, they DO have a reputation for their name and brand, and every fake that comes on the market affects that reputation. Every poor quality guitar from China affects the public's perception of Gibson, and Gibson has the right.....even the responsibility.....to address those perceptions.
    Personally, I'm less concerned about guitars that LOOK like a given brand, but I DEFINITELY draw the line at using that brand's logo and name. (and I know that's just splitting hairs)
    When you say there's a HUGE market for a low cost Gibson, how low is low enough? Since Gibson's reputation belongs SOLELY to them, they are the only one permitted to determine the balance of cost to quality. If I choose NOT to buy a Gibson, that is my prerogative, but buying an exact copy is not a valid alternative. If Gibson doesn't survive, that's their loss. If they choose to go to Asia (like Fender or PRS) that's their right......but again, THEY have to make that decision, not Alibaba.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  17. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Why on earth would Gibson take that point. They already sell a cheaper imported line under Epiphone. But beyond that true counterfeits trade on Gibson's goodwill and history without having to provide any warranty, marketing or customer service.
    Do you think Rolex, Louis Vuitton and Chateau Petrus should make cheap versions just because you can buy counterfeit versions? Do you think in the boardroom at Chateau Petrus when they discover a counterfeit version of the wine they sit around and say well you know we should just make our wine and price it like two buck chuck?

Counterfeiting items is outright theft and those who support it in any way are condoning theft. At least the counterfeits of guitars and watches don't rise to the dangers to life that counterfeits of prescription drugs do.

Wallo Tweed and nojazzhere like this.
  18. WetBandit

We are in agreement... I think you misunderstood or perhaps I worded it poorly.

Gibson certainly does have the right and the responsibility to protect their property.

I'm not defending Chinese counterfeiters either, they should be prosecuted.

My point was and is, Gibson aren't really going after the Chinese guys because it would be nearly impossible since they just liquidate and rename rinse and repeat... and they are the ones making direct counterfeits not something that's kinda like a Gibson... its fully intended to be perceived as one.

So, my point was. Gibson could actually win the fight against the Chinese counterfeiters that are using their trademarks to consume market share.

So, if Gibson were to actually produce a Gibson branded version of say an Epiphone (would kill epiphone) it would certainly vanquish all but the tiniest amount of actual counterfeiting... because there would be no reason to buy an unauthorized Chinese copy when you could just buy from Gibson.

Its kind of like prohibition... make the booze legal again and that part of the criminal underworld goes belly up and has to find a new enterprise.

But you are right, the decision is up to Gibson alone... the Chinese merely present the problem and solution, simultaneously.

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. WetBandit

Yea I'm not supporting/advocating or endorsing counterfeiting of any kind...

I'm saying that it's a viable solution for Gibson to make a line of models similar to those of the Chibson, to cut the throat of the counterfeiters.

Because ultimately thats the only way they are going to stop them.

Ford makes a 15k fiesta.... and a 200k GT ..

Its certainly doable and does not hurt a damn thing.

20. nojazzhere

You're right....I misunderstood your position. My apologies. ;)
    And BTW....I think Fender and PRS and other companies made wise decisions to license their names and designs overseas......some might even attribute some of that to saving Fender in the past.

Owenmoney and WetBandit like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.