1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson Asking Players to Report Counterfeit Guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jun 25, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Plenty o' Murican buyers on hereb, guaranteed.

They's easy to please...

Chunkocaster likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ll get right on that, boss, right after this nap!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

did they resurrect a guy with a fantastic hairline and a huge mustache that was the leader of a Eastern European country to run the company hope that isn't political wouldn't want to get reported again

Electric Warrior likes this.
  4. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

One of the obvious differences is that the pirated PDF copy of the book was produced by the publisher, was shared on the internet, and is digitally the exact same artifact as the one for sale from the publisher. A copyrighted book being illegally shared via bittorrent isn't counterfeit—both PDFs are exactly the same. A counterfeit is a fraudulent imitation or forgery of something similar.

Not so with a Chinese Les Paul copy. Now that's a counterfeit, regardless of how much better it is than some real Les Pauls!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    WetBandit likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, yawn...

6. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Not necessarily. Many of the pirated PDFs we ran into were compiled from low-grade, hard-to-read scans of printed books. Lousy pirated copies of 50 Shades of Gray are one thing. Illegible copies of technical or medical manuals can lead to costly mistakes or even injury. We weren't responsible for the pirated books, but we saw the risk as a real problem, and many publishers feel the same way.

7. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I've seen those in the wild too, especially in the technical books market. Those are another thing altogether. Someone scans a clean PDF of an O'Reilly animal cover book, and strips out the formatting, graphics, table of contents, front and back matter (and of course, copyright warnings), then uses some ugly font and bumps up the size to make it more readable. Some of them have enormous amounts of whitespace, so they really aren't better or usable. Some of the pirates are bold–they'll put the URL (www address) of their site right in the margin every few pages, so people who steal the books know where to go to get more.

8. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Whatever Gibson builds and calls a Les Paul is a real Les Paul. ANYTHING else is a copy.

But I know what you mean. And anyone willing to ignore trademarks, patents, copyrights, or any other intellectual property rights is not going to comply with CITES rules. So, yes, they may get away with using RW and ebony. It’s still just a copy/knockoff/counterfeit.

Not really fair to blame Gibson for CITES, though. They’ve already been the victim of a ham handed phony CITES charge complete with SWAT teams just for buying RW from India without the Indian exporter following India’s rules on raw vs processed woods.

telemnemonics likes this.
  9. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Don't let facts get in the way of a good Gibson bashing thread !

10. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think Gibson Brands can take care of itself just fine.

Rev Rhythm and Wyzsard like this.
  11. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

To all the defending Gibson types that keep harping on the "counterfeiting". I understand their legal right to defend (should have defended long long ago). It's the pursuit of the grey area builders as their foe that irks me. Gibson has the nuts when history has shown their involvement in this (no denying the Hendrix strat. The APP single cut, if true)? Its pretty shortsighted.

The video was Gibsons attempt the define what counterfeitting is to them. Can't say I agree but I'm not a legal expert. They'll all get together & let the lawyers lawyer.

It's simple. Going after real counterfeiters is too big a task so they're laying all the blame at fringe builders so that they can stop the hemorrhaging. It was a calculated move put in place under Henry that is just seeing the light of day. It just keeps getting worse with them.

Also... no one that I read within has said the url narc form was anything new. No one. The defenders turned it into an issue. I'm sure people within the forum have used it. I cant be assed to do their work, nor would I. They got people on it. Ever try to sell something on ebay resembling a G shape? After they'd lost the suit against PRS, they were still exercising that "right", getting auctions pulled.

I have no beef with Gibson. If I saw one I liked that I could afford I'd buy. Used. They're making it tough tho.

Rev Rhythm and WetBandit like this.
  12. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I dunno about this. It looks like it could be a real Gibson, but there’s something not quite right…

D5268317-B2BF-42AA-A86A-00C77DEE6280.jpeg

13. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Afflicted

I just turned my self in. And to be sure, called also the cops.

This criminal will be going to the locker for a long time:

5A722703-DD11-40DE-8976-C0D5C7BDF310.jpeg

(sarcasm included)

nojazzhere and RiverDog like this.
  14. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Does Slash have to report the Appetite guitar?

Also, I'd love to hear what Gibson has to say about this:

http://www.owappleton.com/

ClashCityTele, Fuelish and claes like this.
  15. claes

claes Tele-Afflicted

It sure looks like the investmentcompany that presently controls Gibson is focusing on fakes and clones. Hope that's not all they are doing.

I'm not sure they have the power to do so. Yes, they sure can squeeze small shop's but there's been a "Wallmartisation" in the industry and we got guitarcenter, Anderton's and Thomann. And at least Andertons and Thomann has succesfull inhouse brands (same development as in all retail).

General concensus in retail (not just instruments) is that the big chains have gained power over manufactors in this development. So Gibson my succeed in this but it can also go the other way.

I have a tip for Gibson. In Sovjet they awarded children with medals for giving up there parents. Something to copy?

savofenno likes this.
  16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

The broken headstock indicates that it is authentic.

17. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

I'm sure* that must be a miniature model of a Gibson and they nailed pretty good.

*because I haven't seen a human giant that big. :lol:

18. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted

Sure - that's the Paul Bunyan signature model, right there. :eek:

19. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

So they have gone from threatening similar style guitars manufactured of better quality, to now asking the general public for support to call them "counterfeit".
    Has anyone seen a Les Paul or SG made in Japan, Korea or China with a unauthorised Gibson Logo or Serial Number?
    Pathetic response Gibson....actually sad.

WetBandit likes this.
  20. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

:lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.