1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson Asking Players to Report Counterfeit Guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Sadly, only 2,743 of the original 1,406 Bursts still survive to this day.

Ronzo, John Nicholas, DaveGo and 11 others like this.
  2. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Guess I must be an exception also...

I do not hate Gibson... in fact I deeply care about the brand, that's why it pisses me off when they do things that damage it.

I have no problem paying a premium price for premium quality either... but when the quality is on par or below that of much lower priced instruments that bothers me as well, and illustrates a company that isn't living up to expectations all the while telling me I'm getting a top quality instrument.

If someone paid $100 for a Snap-on ratchet and found it on par with a $10 Craftsman then I can imagine a little irritation... now when the Snap-on comes out of the box with slipping gears I can see someone being pissed off!

I can't even say I'm extremely mad or surprised about the litigation against other companies for alleged trademark infringement.

What does piss me off is the poor and frankly arrogant delivery in the video, that eschews so much elitism and smug douchebaggery that its impossible to look at positively.

Not to mention they didn't even have the balls to stand behind it after releasing it to the world.

I understand that mistakes happen, but their is no way they uploaded that without watching it back and seeing that it was screwed up... and if they didnt notice that then it just furthers that they are in fact under the influence of a very elitist/smuggy/ arrogant group of people.

Either way, they aren't doing and haven't been doing themselves any favors.

What did Tennessee Earnie Ford say?

"16 tons and waddaya get" ?

That's Gibson right now.

John Nicholas likes this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The Chinese could do a convincing fake if they wanted to but they concentrate on cheap mass production. Small scale copies of high end vintage and special editions don't really affect Gibson so much as they are usually purchased used or privately and the buyers may be getting a great quality guitar anyway. Not great if you think its a vintage or limited run original though.

4. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Go to AliBaba and search for "LP guitar." You'll get over a thousand listings, many of them for lots with minimum quantities of 16, 30, 100, or 500 units. This is not a small issue, it's trademark theft on an industrial scale. Gibson probably doesn't have a big market share in Asia to begin with, but I think it's safe to say fake Gibsons must outnumber real ones in the eastern hemisphere by 1,000 to 1 or more. And thanks to the www, someone in the USA can order from AliBaba as easily as from Amazon, which is also on record as not giving a damn about counterfeit goods on its site.

I expect most of the people buying Chibsons have never held, and possibly never seen, a real Gibson. Makes no difference whether or not they could spot the difference.

5. Chunkocaster

This is true but there is nothing Gibson can do about that in court unless they want to try taking on Alibaba for enabling the sales of fakes. They are also probably run from offshore?
    Seems Globalisation is only good when the large corporations profit from it. It's bad when it comes back to bite them in the azz.

If a Chinese guitar maker can supply me with a perfect fake of a 59 les paul that plays and sounds great, is period and material, construction correct but has larger frets I will happily pay them up to $1500 bucks for it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Tomm Williams likes this.
  6. Bones

I would guess that Gibson will be petitioning US Customs to step up inspections of the ubiquitous guitar size Styrofoam boxes wrapped in yellow packing tape that these things ship in to the US.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

Whispering caller: "hello, is this Gibson? I'd like to report...a counterfeit guitar

Gibson: What's your name sir

Caller: It's right here! At the club, the guy is playing it right now! I think it's a fake because the sunburst looks like a 72 but the neck shape looks like it's from the 80s and also there's no evidence of a neck repair

Gibson: Ok sir, we're tracking your phone's location and our agents are on the way. We'll soon arrive and stand around glowering.

Caller: ok, I just wanted to do what's right. My mom says I need to move out of the basement but I'm helping gibson

Gibson: we appreciate that sir the AAA flamemobile is on its way.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Bruxist, Alamo, Bones and 1 other person like this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Mark and the leather jacket gang will be on the scene to sort it out.

Alamo, stnmtthw and Bones like this.
  9. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

Quite true. The ONLY thing they seem to get right is the scarf joint. Superior to that of the Gibson neck design. But No one ever did trademark that. Dumbsh*ts.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  10. Chunkocaster

I've always wanted a nice Goldtop. Maybe i'll refinish my favorite player Greco les paul that has a bunch of chips missing and buckle rash. I could trick it out with a vintage Gibson logo and report it to Gibson myself with pics so I can brag about how good it plays and sounds yet cost me peanuts.:)

Mark and the leather jacket gang are welcome to jump in the delorian and go back to 1980 to pursue the original maker in Japan.

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have set up a couple of ‘Gypsome’ Chinese Les Pauls. There was no way that one could be fooled that they were Gibson’s, but the players wanted the ‘look’ so that the little girls could ooh and aah thinking that the local player had a guitar like Slash. Hey, according to the experts, even Gibson can’t build a credible copy of the real ‘bursts.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

When your country has 57% of the world’s lawyers (but only 6% of the world’s population) stuff like this happens.

Gibson, stupidly, is being had by their lawyers, who will happily rack up thousands of dollars per hour in fees and expenses, not caring if Gibson has the money to pay them or not. If Gibson goes broke and ends up in bankruptcy again, the law firm owns Gibson for a bargain price.

I remember a friend who inherited a home. The other family members thought it wasn’t fair that only one of them got the home, so they contacted lawyers who advised them to sue to contest the will.

The home was eventually sold to pay the legal fees, the lawyers made a lot of money, the plaintiffs actually ended up owing more in legal fees than the house was sold for. The lawyers got everything and then some, my friend and her cousins ended up with less than nothing.

Gibson is not helping themselves in this matter, they and those they are suing will all be losers, the law firms on all sides will be the winners. And we the guitar buyers are harmed as well, because the cost of these lawsuits and any awards or settlements is added to the cost of guitars.

savofenno and Chunkocaster like this.
  13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Easy to tell the difference, but I was responding to a comment that inferred Epiphones are better guitars than the Chinese "Gibsons". Dollar for dollar, they are not.

DonM likes this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I better not.....I wouldn't feel right taking your money. I don't have that faux alligator case anymore, I put Grover Rotomatic tuners on it (poorly), a horrible job routing for a neck pickup, and a Leo Quan "Badass" bridge in place of the original. The only good points are the AMAZING P-90 pickup, an incredible lightweight, relatively un-blemished body and neck, and a NEVER broken headstock. I feel I'd be cheating you......:)

W.L.Weller likes this.
  15. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Snapping their fingers in unison like West Side Story...:lol:

Honestly, I would be behind Gibson 100% if they were focusing their attention on Chibson imports. But with the Dean lawsuit, it really robs a lot of my goodwill towards them.

Bruxist and Chunkocaster like this.
  16. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have set up high dollar ‘Tele clones’ that use the trademark protected headstock shape and which are no better than a MIM tele. We live in a fake world to a very large extent...some of the fakes are inexpensive like a Chibson while some are expensive like some ‘boutique’ builder products.

17. Chunkocaster

I think epiphones are a better guitar than the knockoffs. I have seen and played a knockoff, pulled the pups out and checked it out. It looked like a Epi that had failed quality control to me. I think the makers of the fakes source rejected raw wood epiphones prior to the finishing stage and mod the headstocks, drill the holes for the pots etc and finish them as fakes. The guitar I looked at was a fake pearly gates. Nice looking flame veneer but bad pale looking dye job. Overly soft mystery wood on the headstock. Epi pickups, cheap plastic, bad nut slot with cheap fake cover. Ugly greenish tulip tipped tuners. Wonky knobs. Metric posts, multi (4 or 5?) piece body with mahogany style veneer hiding it on the rear. Wouldn't intonate properly, twist in the neck and was basically just junk all around. My epis are much nicer than that guitar was.

18. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Can we have a dedicated Gibson forum? There is just too much to share about how evil Gibson and their consumers are. Its vital to mankind that it all be heard, till the scourge of the guitar world is eliminated.

MilwMark and Chunkocaster like this.
  19. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Yeah, that move is hard to fathom. It has the hallmarks of management blaming all the company's problems on trademark infringement and refusing to accept responsibility for their own bad plays.

Rev Rhythm, Skydog1010 and stnmtthw like this.
  20. Bones

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.