1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson Asking Players to Report Counterfeit Guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Emoticons often confuse me.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

They want to use your input in court, proving "our customers confuse similar guitars with ours", see look at all these guitars people sent us info on....

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic

If you're selling copies of someone else's product - I hope you're worried.

Counterfeit goods have gotten completely out of hand in a number of industries and I'm very surprised (Even though it's really just a little corner of the internet) how many people are effectively rooting for the counterfeiters.

CFFF and audiopablo like this.
  4. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Not in Japan, only in the States. The Japanese have half a brain enough to understand a company shouldn't own something it didn't invent and that term limits on design exclusivity encourage competition thus are better for everyone.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Reported.

[​IMG]

Nubs, Rev Rhythm, thunderbyrd and 2 others like this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Those Chinese fakes aren't taking any business away from Gibson. They can't even compete against Epiphones on average. They look like Epiphones that failed quality control and had a different headstock grafted on and hand carved by a semi blind person with the shakes and a blunt blade.

Most people in the market for a 2k plus guitar would check a few out before purchasing and there is no mistaking a Chinese chibson for a Gibson when you have it in your hands.
    That just makes this crackdown on fakes even more ridiculous. There is nothing they can do about it anyway as they are being sold directly out of China.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I can't believe Gibson doesn't have someone sitting at a computer all day just to click and report all the fake Gibson guitar kits and decals.

Maybe I should hurry up and buy a couple I've been looking at.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I'm actually okay with this.

Tom60 and Electric Warrior like this.
  9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know about that - I had a $260 Chibson that had an actual ebony fretboard and a real (not photo) flame maple top. Average pickups and hardware, but the guitar body itself was pretty awesome, actually.

DonM likes this.
  10. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I didn't see one freakin' word about what Gibson is going to do for me if I report a fake. give me a new les paul special or something, i'll eat cheese all over the place. I've actually seen a bunch of fake gibsons and i'll rat for the right price.

lots of those fake gibsons are really good guitars, for real. sorry, Gibson.

Skydog1010 and WetBandit like this.
  11. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted

You're the exception. Got it.

Sure.

12. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

In fairness... with the amount of Chinese spam, that is certainly a possibility. :D

13. Chunkocaster

The flame would have been a veneer though, metric posts, probably a scarfe joint and poly finish. Epi pickups, wonky knobs and cheap plastic pickguard. No nibs. Not hard to tell the difference between them and a real Gibson.

Tom60 likes this.
  14. MattyK-USA

Out of all the people in the world that own a Gibson or a copy, how many do you think have the wherewithal to tell? Be honest.

CFFF likes this.
  15. Chunkocaster

Maybe 1% or less don't know they own a fake. Hardly worth a court case over.

16. MattyK-USA

BS, IMO. But hey, thanks for playing. I did ask.

17. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

They are getting better at it, nibs, small post ABR-1 bridges, no scarf joint, wings on the headstock, but the cutaway is almost always wrong and they are always poly encased. Pretty easy to spot.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  18. Chunkocaster

I haven't seen one yet I couldn't pick as a fake. I'm no expert. I just own a few gibsons and have played many over the years. Before my first purchase of a Gibson I did some research like a normal person would before plonking down a large amount of cash. There were no fakes back then either. The same Chinese fakers have also been making Fender fakes for years. They are also easy to spot.

If the fakes were bang on like a real one then you wouldn't have much to complain about anyway as a buyer.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  19. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

You gotta be out of your mind to buy one of those Chinese fakes. They're made our of God knows what and probably with dangerous chemicals, not to mention that probably they're exploiting people to produce them.

What bothers me is the fact that Gibson is asking people to help them with this, I take this comment in the context of others made by Gibson related to completing brands manufacturing somewhat similar models, like ESP, PRS, Ibanez and others. Copying the exact les paul and using their brand on a product not even remotely associated with Gibson is one thing, trying to go after the competition and asking people to help them do that is quite another.

I'll say it again, Gibson needs to concentrate on what they do best, or did best, making quality guitars and it wouldn't hurt if they made the guitars available for a reasonable price. But these days, all they do is living out of some past reputation and seeking endorsements like crazy, from almost anybody willing to put his or her name on a Gibson, including probably the Jonas Brothers. That's not a guitar company, it's just a publicity stunt.

20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Many years ago I saw a counterfeit Flying V...complete with a great Gibson logo. It was built in L.A. one of the foremost experts on Flying V’s asked for permission to pull the true rod cover while Dan Erlewine and I watched. He pulled the cover and just as quickly replaced the cover...thanked the fellows, and we walked off. The size of the truss rod cavity told him it was a fake....it had a price tag of $15,000 on it.
    Slash has played a famous fake Les Paul ‘burst for many years. There are more “bursts” in the world than Gibson produced during those last three years of the decade ending in 1960 due to fakery. Teles????? Those fakes are everywhere.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.