1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson Asking Players to Report Counterfeit Guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

A good point, well made. It does seem that they don't care too much where they buy stuff. I don't go there often, too many people out to try and get an angle on you, and although I love them, too much talk about Jazzmasters. Dear Lord I love them, but overkill I don't. Anyway FWIW I like Jags way more.

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. nick0

nick0 Tele-Meister

I used to have a S/S/S model, mine had a hocky stick headstock

3. nick0

nick0 Tele-Meister

It looks like a "qualrry instrument" lol

4. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    this whole thing plays out to be a HUGE media campaign that costs what - some legal fees??? When you are sucking air through a straw doing anything beats just laying there under the hot water of debt

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. LouBiffo

LouBiffo NEW MEMBER!

Being a fellow lefty, I'm very much of the same mindset. There are a lot of things I want but they aren't made in left-handed orientation. Which leaves me to either go without, pay astronomically to a luthier, or consider going the AliExpress route.

My current lust is for a lefty Rickenbacker Combo 450, tulip style body. RIC still owns the copyright on it, but haven't made the body style in 50+ years. So I'll have to get it custom from somewhere.

knockeduptele likes this.
  6. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Very few, as I understand it. The typical approach to complaints from Chinese companies is to apologize profusely and offer to give you a discount on your next purchase -- but not so big a discount that they won't still make a profit on the second sale. They know that after waiting a month or more for the guitar, nobody wants the hassle of shipping it back and waiting another two or three months for the replacement to arrive.

Chunkocaster and telemnemonics like this.
  7. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

I have had full refunds on Aliexpress. Without sending item back. If you cannot agree with a seller solution offered let Ailiexpress decide. Similar to ebay.

8. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Friend of Leo's

Regarding “chibsons, I have one. I had been jonesing for Moderne for years. For a long time only the eighties Gibson and epiphones were available, at stupid prices.
    One day I was surfing AliExpress and saw a Moderne copy. I agonized for a while, then decided it probably would be similar to an epiphone.

Boy was I wrong. That guitar was the biggest piece of **** I’ve ever played.

Let’s see...
    Badly cut nut, didn’t matter anyway because it had the hardness of playdough.
    Pickup routes were badly cut, needed fixing with a dremel.
    Crappy hardware. All of it.
    Holes for the tailpiece bushings were too big, they were pulling out of the guitar.
    The neck had a hump in the upper registers and made it unplayable.
    Pickups sounded like crap.

It was awful. I was going to flip it but a friend talked me into making it right. I did, but at great cost. Basically everything that could be attached or screwed to the guitar was replaced.

It plays great now but I’ll never do it again.

Ironically Gibson came out with Gibson and Epiphone versions and I bought the epiphone version last fall.

I’ve heard stories about guys buying chibsons that were good, but not me.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    CFFF, telemnemonics and Fendereedo like this.
  9. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

This is a counterfeit thread. Duly reported.

10. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Some really good points/observations, here.

11. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

Gibson Asking Players to Report Counterfeit Guitars

Golly ! I'll get right on it ! Oh wait, I really don't know anyone that has one.

12. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The culture in China is to rip you off if they can get away with it. They will ship a defective fake to you knowingly in the hope that they get away with it. Then offer a discount if called out on it or eventually accept the loss if a full refund is forced. Its a percentages game to them. It's not like customer satisfaction or honor and business reputation is important.

13. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

At the international post office pickup depot...I once saw customs officers going through some dudes boxes of fake t shirts, sunglasses, leather goods, copy watches all copies of designer label products. The entire shipment was being confiscated and the guy was pleading for mercy as it was his livelihood selling this junk. The sad thing is as consumers, we know it’s junk, it will fail and fall apart but somehow accept it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.