1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson Asking Players to Report Counterfeit Guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

2. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

With the recent fabulous public relations event, i predict overwhelming success. :D

nick0, wulfenganck, Doug B and 9 others like this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The only counterfeit gibsons I have seen have been the Chinese ones. What are they hoping to achieve by having people call in about those. They are available all over the internet and easy to find.
    They must be trying to compile a list for future court cases against the little guys so they can lock down their monopoly on the market and pricing.

I think things will only get worse for Gibson with the recent further tightening of restrictions on shipping rosewood.

The knockoffs might end up being more authentic than the real deal.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    awasson, Toadtele, savofenno and 5 others like this.
  4. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

"If you see something say something."

upload_2019-6-25_11-49-17.png

This might not be what they meant.

Attached Files:

nick0, awasson, Rockdog and 17 others like this.
  5. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Court cases are expensive. I wonder if Gibson's legal reps sit on the board, cos that sounds like advice that only benefits lawyers.

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I have bought all the Gibsons of any kind that I'm ever going to. I kept buying them there for a while expecting to like one (even after I got it home) but they just never panned out for me. Thanks for the URL, but I won't be needing it. Now on the other hand, you just gotta wonder how many counterfeit Esteban guitars are being used to swindle honest folks out of their hard earned dollars.

jman72, Andy B, Skydog1010 and 2 others like this.
  7. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

Slow news day? That page on Gibson's site has been there for years. o_O

8. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

If you see something, say something. If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to be afraid of.

That's sarcasm by the way. I'm so tired of the surveillance society we now live in, where everyone is turned into a cop. If they want us to do that, we should charge them whatever our usual rate of pay is, or perhaps better still, insist on a salary.

MickM, savofenno, Jimmy Owen and 5 others like this.
  9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Next at 10 - dude puts up fence in yard where one wasn't before. Neighbors who used his yard as a shortcut outraged.

nick0, Owenmoney, Telemarx and 10 others like this.
  10. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

I bought my sole Gibson guitar when they were still genuine and well built products... It was in 1980. A LH ES-335TD model, built at the Kalamazoo factory, in batches of 40...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I won't help Gibson in this step. if they are reduced to that kind of strategy ... Not for me.

I'll buy an Epiphone instead. And a used one... ;)

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln

DonM, savofenno, GuitarKid and 3 others like this.
  11. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Yes ! :rolleyes:

-tbln

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

The last Gibson I bought was in 1969.....a nine year-old double cut Les Paul Jr in cherry red.
    ....and if I come across another just like it in a pawnshop for $60 (w/ original faux alligator case) I'll definitely check it with Gibson AFTER I've paid my money and got it home.....and I'll probably tell them my name is something like Toto Chunkocaster or whatever.....;)

boredguy6060, Torren61 and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

The fakes should be easy to spot, they won't have broken headstocks .... :):)

DonM, tubedood, Fendereedo and 19 others like this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

At Sam Ash in Hollywood, they have a gadget over by the guitar repair area that sits out on the counter that has like a gazillion thumbscrews sticking out of it that repairs a broken Gibson headstock. I've NEVER been in there when there wasn't a Gibson stuck in that thing.

Steve Holt, DonM, Wobbles and 2 others like this.
  15. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

They should be worried about actually improving the quality of their own brand, there's lots of room for improvement right there. Recently, at the store, I saw a Les Paul that, honestly, looked like it was finished by a 14 year old with a spray can...

Oh, and their "faded" models? They should call them the "this is what we do if you want us to sell cheaper" guitar. And they still want some serious cash for them.

Gibson is going the same way others have in the past, and it's not gonna be good!

16. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

Hi, uh, Gibson? Yeah, um, I saw this guitar that seemed to be a counterfeit or a real close knockoff or something. It was an Epiphone and it was almost a direct copy of a Fender. Is there anything you can do about that?

[​IMG]

nick0, Toadtele, 8trackmind and 12 others like this.
  17. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

They're so concerned with other makes copying them... I wonder why they're not concerned with breaking the law by importing wood illegally into the country, repeatedly. How about them apples oh mighty Gibson?

Fender should take notice, that "firebird" headstock looks strangely familiar...

I hate it when these big makes go on these wars of attrition. People should by from a brand because they make the best product, not because you can't buy from anywhere else.

18. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

So I don't have to report my H150 or H535?

19. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted

MMmmmm all this tasty hate over a page that many businesses have, and has been around for ages!

C'mon, haters! Let's pump up the jams! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:)

20. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Honestly, I'm surprised it's taken Gibson this long to go after counterfeiters. I work in publishing, in a field where pirating of copyrighted material via PDF torrents is a huge problem. As in, shockingly huge. Now, downloading a copyright-violating PDF from a pirate website and buying a counterfeit guitar from China aren't quite the same thing, but they're not entirely different, either. The worldwide web has institutionalized this type of crime to an extent that was never possible before.

The company I worked for in the early 2000s went after PDF pirates in a major way, and it made us very unpopular for a while. In the end, even though we got convictions against some of the biggest torrent abusers, it probably didn't gain us much. And this probably won't gain Gibson much, either.

Wyzsard, Obsessed, Loco and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.