Gibson 61' SG Refinish help

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by troyanderson, Sep 21, 2016.

1. troyanderson

troyanderson NEW MEMBER!

I'm looking to get my 61' Gibson SG refinished. The guitar was already refinished in white before I bought it. I'm looking to have it repainted in and lightly aged gold. Is it necessary to have it stripped before its refinished, or should it be okay to be painted over with the new color? About $275 or so difference in stripping vs. not stripping so it is a substantial amount. Don't want to have my guitar ruined but also don't want to pay more than I have to. Thoughts?

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Is there a spot on back you can test. Gold over white might take a bit.

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

If you want a pro refinish, I'd say strip it. You can do that yourself. Just keep stripper away from plastic (binding and the like).

The "Finely Finished" section of this forum would be a good place to ask questions.

4. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

One other thing is that you might want to use a red (like a red automotive paint) primer under the gold.
    For some reason or other, the red primer helps the quality of the gold finish. This is something I've seen on gold finished picture frames. Just something to think about...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.