Gibson 57' classic on a Tele

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Baboon, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Baboon

Baboon TDPRI Member

Hello everybody. I've posted this guitar in a couple other threads here. Now's time for asking for a bit of help. I'm building this partscaster out of whatever i find, or whatever's on clearance.
    Going for a ratrod kinda vibe. I've got some questions , though..
    For the neck i have a 57' classic humbucker.. Polepieces dont really line up (not that i think it'll make a huge difference) but should i worry?
    Next i was thinking of using 300k pots, should i just go w/500?
    Finally, i was considering pulling out the 57' & just running with the bridge pup & a single vol pot..
    Any opinions, comments or advise would be great!

Attached Files:

2. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

You might experience a problem with relative string volumes, but I suspect that's more of an issue if the HB is too narrow. Still, I reckon you could adjust the polepieces to iron that out somewhat.

I would stick with 500k for a Classic '57 in the neck, and definitely try it out. PAF copies sound great in Fender-style guitars. In a Semi, I can picture getting a really lovely 60s vibe. If that's a Little '59 in the bridge, I think you'll get some interesting tones between the two.

3. Baboon

Baboon TDPRI Member

Thanks, Matt. The paf's poles are actually a little wider than the string positions. And, yes, it's a little 59 (good eye)
    I am leaning towards keeping the humbucker in there.. But with some hesitation. Thanks for the nudge in the right (?) direction.
    So no to the 300k pots, huh.... Have you ever heard of anyone doing that, though? When strats & teles are equipped with hb's, is it actually wired through 500k pots?

4. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

I would think the lil 59 would do better with 500k pots and they'd be great with the neck bucker as well. I have a tele with a Duncan '59 in the neck and it's great...

I don't really care for the lil 59 in the bridge except for overdriven rock and roll tones, but since you've got it, try it out....

Pole pieces rarely line up on any guitar (blade pickups are the best in theory) but you will be fine--you can play with the screw heights on the bucker if you need to. Look at a strat--all 3 pickups are the same width and the bridge pickup (which needs to be widest) is canted, making it the narrowest.

I love rat rods,
    Good luck,
    George

5. Baboon

Baboon TDPRI Member

Thanks, George
    500k pots seem to be the general consensus. So 500k it is, then.
    Thanks for all the advise, guys!

Long live the ratrods!

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I set this lefty/strung righty up for a mate last year.... Epi HB bridge with a P90...

I was just talking to him about it..... he's still grinnin'..... :twisted:

I never care too much about pole pieces being a bit out of line.... mhea... your string moves enough to get into the field.... if you play them hard enough...;)

Attached Files:

7. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

FWIW, Keef uses an actual Gibson PAF (Gibson spacing, not F-spaced) in the neck slot of his Teles. ;)

Also, I threw a non-F-spaced Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon in the bridge position of my Kramer Strat. I had no problems with the E strings being picked up properly.

8. D.Allen

D.Allen Tele-Holic Vendor Member

500k pots and .22 cap is the way to go with Buckers. If you got back to a Tele SC bridge just add a 270k resistor to the bridge hot lead and ground the other end and it will see the 500ks as 250's. Keep the screw poles on the neck even with the cover and you should be fine.

9. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Right on as David says. I have a Gibson LP Studio, and they come with 300K volumes (since '95) and changed them to 500's. Not earth shattering but it did open it up some (treble) and I like the results. HB's are dark enough as it is.

10. Baboon

Baboon TDPRI Member

Good tip should i ever go to SC.

11. Baboon

Baboon TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone. 500k's it is (anyone need a couple 300k pots?)
    Looks like i came to the right place for answers. Also, I'll be keeping the 57 in the neck position, cant wait to post some progress reports.
    Again, thanks everybody!

12. the velvet catfish

the velvet catfish Tele-Meister

I also have a 57 Classic in the neck. The string spacing on mine is good. I used a WD pickguard and everything lines up right. 500K pot for sure for the 57.

ForumRunner_20140427_125557.jpg

IMG_5930.jpg

13. wildkat-bob

wildkat-bob Tele-Afflicted

I will have two 57's in the 24" scale Tele build I am doing. Mine line up perfectly... but I am using a Tonepros T-O-M bridge on it.

14. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

500k pots for the hum, attach a 220k to the bridge position to start with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.