Giant Schnauzers: Has anyone here ever had one?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sean79, Feb 18, 2020.

1. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Our boxer, Darla, passed away in June. She had been with us for ten years, and she was just about the sweetest dog ever. When she died, we questioned whether or not we’d get another dog. We’re still not convinced, and we’re definitely not ready, but we are starting to explore some other breeds.

A non-shedding (or low-shedding) dog would be nice; we’re still finding little boxer hairs around - especially inside my car. Standard schnauzers appear to check most of our boxes, but they are a little smaller than we’d like. That realization led us to giant schnauzers.

On paper, giant schnauzers sound like they might be great for us. Has anyone here had firsthand experience with one? If so, what’s your opinion on them (the good, the bad, and the ugly)?

2. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I lived with a standard for a few years. Smartest damn dog I ever knew. Fiesty (terrier), but exceedingly malleable/trainable. Could size people up in seconds.
    A real character.
    Called him the Ultimutt.
    RIP

sean79 likes this.
  3. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Holic

Giant Schnauzers are great looking dogs. As with any breed, I would research their genetic disposition for illnesses, allergies, joint problems, etc.

We love our Goldendoodles; also non-shedding and real pleasant personalities.

[​IMG]

Kitarkus, Stubee, OldDude2 and 2 others like this.
  4. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Giant Schnauzers.. Great band name!

Slip Kid, jvin248, koen and 5 others like this.
  5. sean79

Thanks, johnnylaw and Dreadnut.

We haven’t ruled goldendoodles out, but I had heard that their degree of non-shedding varies dog to dog. Sounds like there are ways to improve your chances, but I haven’t read much about that.

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My friend got a schnauzer recently to replace his that died last year. It's not a giant, but not small. That dog is driving him nuts with energy etc. Some of those Terrier related dogs are very hyper, be careful you don't go from mellow to hyper..

sean79 likes this.
  7. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

How giant do they get?

sean79 likes this.
  8. sean79

About 40 feet tall.

Not really, but males can go over 100 pounds.

9. GuitarGeorge

GuitarGeorge Tele-Meister

How about a shelter rescue?

koen, Andy B and sean79 like this.
  10. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know anything about schnauzers, but this sounds like a giant airedale to me. I shudder to think what kind of damage a 100 lb airedale could do...

KyAnne and sean79 like this.
  11. sean79

Darla mellowed our as she aged, but she still had bursts of puppy-like activity every day. As a puppy, she was anything but mellow. Exercising her seemed to help a lot.

schmee likes this.
  12. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

every INSERTBREEDdoodle mix I've met has been a spazzy/dumb/useless pain in the rear.

even the guy that "designed" the breed said it's his life's greatest regret. o_O

13. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Mak was all of 72 lbs. One of the sweetest , gentlest and smartest dogs I will ever know . Read people like open books and totally comfortable in his skin . I still have an Airedale . I bred her mom and the Moose simply didn't sell . I am so fortunate . There is an interesting thing about her . I believe that I am the very first thing she saw . Yes , even before her mom simply by happenstance . She is thoroughly imprinted on me .
    Anyway , Giant Schnauzer or Airedale , you better be ready to be the alpha . There can be no question or they will learn to push you around . This means quality training maintained through life . Being Terriers , there is always an on switch and you need to be in control of that switch . With that said , Terriers can be wonderful and devoted companions . Should a child be fortunate enough grow up with one , I would consider that kid to be infallibly safe throughout the dogs life . They certainly will protect anyone and all they find themselves with .
    It sure sucks to lose any furry friend and I hope the your next one will fill the void .
    A word about rescue . If it is within your consideration , I highly recommend it for the both of you .
    Best of luck in your search .

14. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a miniature, I didn't know giants existed until the wife and I watched the dog show the other day.

sean79 likes this.
  15. sean79

I read something about that recently, but I didn’t know it applied to all the “oodles.” I thought the criticisms were specific to labradoodles. I haven’t met many “oodles” in person.

FWIW, my wife’s favorite dog growing up was a golden retriever.

16. sean79

I know we should consider one, but we’re really looking for the non-shedding (or low-shedding) trait. Maybe a breed specific rescue would work (our first boxer was a rescue), but, if the dog was raised by someone else, you still don’t know what you’re getting.

17. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Definitely look for a rescue dog. All of our dogs have always come from a shelter or we found them on the street. Best dogs ever. They appreciate their forever home and get very protective of the people who gave them a second chance.

Jim622 and sean79 like this.
  18. sean79

Otterhound, can you elaborate on this switch? What are terriers like when they’re switched on?

Andy B likes this.
  19. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

boxers are smart dogs and learn to like just about everyone. lots of other breeds are the one owner type dog. you cant go wrong finding another boxer. good dogs all around but will protect you and your family without being pushovers. mine just didnt like people in uniforms .. meter readers, post men, police, you get the idea but a jehove could walk right in the gate and never get more than a little nudge in the crotch..:)

sean79 likes this.
  20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I met a couple golden doodles this past week. They seemed sweet but spazzy.

Kept butting me with their heads.

I wanted to shear them right then and there.

Big as **** too.

LeftFinger and sean79 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.