1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ghosted

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nubs, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I'm sure this has happened to everyone here at some point or another. You reach out to someone (text, email, phone, etc.) and never get a reply back.

What do you generally do? There are a few factors to consider such as who the recipient is and such, but overall how do you handle being ghosted?

2. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Ha! Try one more time and move on. Unless they owe me money, then I haunt them.

3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    If they don’t have time for me, then its difficult for me to allow them rent-free space in my head.

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

some people care, and just suck at responding to messages. Some people don't care. The ones who have proven they don't care.. message received.

When it's a friend it's easier to kinda let it go, I imagine with family, it's harder.

Deathray and Nubs like this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Depends....are they a friend, a business associate, a merchant, or what? That affects MY response.

6. Easywombat

Easywombat TDPRI Member

Ghosting is psychotic, sadistic and pretty pathetic. Don’t worry about the opinions of such individuals. Their loss. Not yours.

Coloradotwanger, Nubs and Jim622 like this.
  7. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Friends come and go...enemies accumulate.

GFrank, Deathray, Nubs and 1 other person like this.
  8. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I had an old friend / band member that I had not heard from in years. He called me up one day and invited me to lunch, to catch up. Location and time agreed up. He was a no show and ghosted me after my attempts to call and text him.

TEN YEARS LATER

He called and invited me to lunch, to catch up. I didn’t even mention his previous no-show. I just told him where my office was, and that he was welcome to stop by anytime he saw my truck outside.

Haven’t heard from him since, which is fine. No hard feelings against him. Actually, no feelings at all.

MickM, Jakedog, Wally and 3 others like this.
  9. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Unfortunately, for reasons I can’t fathom, communication with my son, his wife and son, has dried up completely over the course of the last five years. Gave up sending Christmas and birthday cards 18 months ago after getting no response to any that I sent. A thank you was all I was loooking for, not even cards in return. Sad but, hey, it’s him and my grandson that are losing out. The latter has got six cousins all around his age that he’s barely met, let alone played with.

I shall just bide my time, and pray, it’ll all come good in time........

10. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    With this cyber/electronic/phone stuff constantly changing it can be difficult to know that someone is indeed getting your message.

I try to not let it bother me.

True story: I once had someone on staff come up to me in a huff. “What’s up?” Says I

“Why didn’t you answer my email?”

“what email? What was in it?” Me again

him- “I was letting you know my email wasn’t working”

That IS a true story

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Deathray, Nubs, MickM and 1 other person like this.
  11. KirbyBarba

KirbyBarba TDPRI Member

I had a VERY close childhood friend. We met many years ago at convenient city (I used to travel a lot for work). We had dinner, planned to get together again on the following day to hang. Well the next day, and for years afterwards, I never heard a thing back from him. I didn't know if he was dead or not - no response to emails, voicemails, nada.

Out of the blue he starts reaching out again, and I just plain ignored him - I was pretty pissed. He hassled my family, his mom hassled my mom - which just enraged me further.

Then just a few years ago, he, now a husband and father of several children, gets busted for embezzlement, cocaine, and hookers.

I thought for months about out interactions over the decades and came to realize he had been a bipolar sociopath all along.

There are bad people out there, and sometimes they are even your friends and family. Only now am I starting to become a better judge of character, but still often fail.

buster poser likes this.
  12. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

The last time I ghosted someone was a potential band member that after initial contact and a few red flags he then decided to tell me that I should get rid of the other musicians since they were not "professional" and he had all the other musicians I needed. Keep in mind this is with original music not a cover band and he wanted total control. He was an extreme type A personality and was clear he wanted to run the band without ever having played professionally or knowing what he was doing. I just decided I didn't have the time to waste. Keep in mind I am usually anti ghosting but this guy was special.

MickM, KirbyBarba and buster poser like this.
  13. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Don’t sweat it, I know this guy.

14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

If someone I know I might even call. If an ad or something I will resend in a couple days, then ignore.

15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I respond to ghosting with haunting mids.

gregulator450, 1955 and Rocky058 like this.
  16. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I’ll try 2-3 times over a period of time and the I just forget about the whole thing. Maybe it WAS something I said. We’ll never know

17. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If multiple attempts yield the same results, I move on. There are better things to do with our short time on this rock than chasing after someone.

18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Sorry Nubs! Yes I like back rubs and getting caught in the rain. I do like drinking rum at midnight and getting caught eating grain, I'm not much into postcards, but I do like refrains.

I meant to write back, its just that my mother in laws friends brother's wifes car needed claying and I was getting my lashes bobbed.

Masmus, P-Nutz, Nubs and 1 other person like this.
  19. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

If someone stops responding, that's a sign they are not interested. On the off chance they are playing hard to get, don't waste your time with those games.

Jim622 likes this.
  20. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

If you fill your life with enough things that make you happy, occupied and engaged in the moment then you won't even notice being ghosted by a particular person. And if you do notice it, you'll be too busy to care.

Nubs and Steerforth like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.