Ghost Riders in the Sky (mix content)

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by woodman, Jun 14, 2019.

1. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

I played this old cowboy chestnut for 40 years (can that be right? :eek:) in most of the bands that litter my dusty trails. There was always a better singer than me in the band, so I never got to sing it. But here's my chance!

The arrangement morphed over the years into what was sometimes a 15-minute jam/medley, but I boiled it down to 6 minutes and change for this version. (The one-minute Santana excursion across the border used to be four or five minutes, and the drum solo, only four bars here, used to seemingly go on forever).

But it was fun to reshape it once again, with my ol' saddle pal and former bandmate Tom Kuhn on bass and harmony vocal — a song that was super-fun to play and always brought down the house.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I love this song. I'll make sure and listen to it later, when I get the chance.

I've also been playing it about 40 years, I'm currently working up a version (based on Johnny Cash's) for my surf instrumental band

woodman and preactor like this.
  3. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Good job ! I hear you did the yippee yi ohh, yippee i aaa ; rather than yippee i aaa , yippee i ohh. The original version ends w ohh because it's a bring down cautionary tale. Aaa moves it up in energy and gives the song more of a just a good song vibe. lol I liked the Jingo break, sounded good and totally unexpected or would have been except for you that mentioned it.

woodman likes this.
  4. since71

since71 Tele-Meister

The world is suddenly a better place! Thank you! I like the Good Bad & Ugly quote and the changes you use. Not all versions follow this sequence. I notice that most versions I've heard are either in Aminor or C#minor I've been teaching it in Eminor for many years on the basis that its easier for a 9 year old. Its impossible to hear this song without smiling.

woodman and Boomhauer like this.
  5. Allan Allan

Allan Allan TDPRI Member

Nice singing, reminds me of The Blue Brothers

woodman and preactor like this.
  6. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Man that was fun, only listened on the phone so far and can't wait to fire up the PC for the full aural experience

Edited to say, had a listen through the monitors and it's up there as ever with a Woodshed production

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    woodman likes this.
  7. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

Elwood? Seriously a great version of the song. Love the Good Bad and Ugly bits and the Santana part of the song. Y'all did a great job on this.

woodman likes this.
  8. olewaylonfan74

olewaylonfan74 TDPRI Member

Outstanding work!

woodman likes this.
  9. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

lol......... you had me at Jingo! Great playin' brotha man!

You can hear the many years of playing this song live. I get it.

Question: P90's on the Santana lead part? Sure sounds like it.

woodman likes this.
  10. woodman

Appreciate it, Stu! Good to see you back here around the ol' RIP campfire. You've been missed.

Actually, those pickups are Seymour's '55 Seth Lover PAFs ... they're not wax-potted, so that may account for the P-90 similarity. Potting deadens pickups to my ear, although it's a necessary evil if you play live at loud volumes, but my work these days is 99.5% studio.

11. cottonmike

cottonmike Tele-Meister

Are you a fan of Hughie Thomasson's (Outlaws) version of Ghost Riders?

12. woodman

The Outlaws' version is truly kick-ass Southern rock done well. I love the acoustic intro (although it's not on the single). But once the band kicks in, they go from 0 to 60 mph fast, then take the last two-minute shred at 90. I like and admire their version, and it's fun to listen to, but by the time it was released, I'd been working my arrangement for five years, so it wasn't much of an influence ... my approach is a little different.

One thing I really like about this song is the twangy theme, so I kicked it off with that and acoustic guitar only — more country-rock than southern rock. Then each verse and chorus adds a layer or two, a little spaghetti Western and so forth, so when it gets to the Santana part, it's got a pretty good head of steam. Then it backs down after the drum solo but builds back up rapidly for the outro. So, dynamics play a bigger part in this production than guitar pyrotechnics. Besides, even in my prime I wouldn't be able to touch Hughie, much less in my current geezerly state! :D

preactor and cottonmike like this.
  13. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This a great version... :)

woodman likes this.
  14. cottonmike

cottonmike Tele-Meister

I really admire and like your version very much. The guitar work is excellent and unique. I think I hear some HT influence in there, still. I also agree with what you said about the more western flavor, as, GR is not a southern tune. You really nailed the vibe, and definitely made it yours.

Are you familiar with Diablo Canyon, title cut the 1994 Outlaws album of the same name? It's a fabulous western "rock" tune, complete with HT's wah Strat screaming like a raring horse. Hollywood should make a western around Diablo Canyon.

Peace,

Michael

15. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Mucho fun. Only listened on the iPad. The hat or maybe ride might be a touch hot on that, but it’s an iPad.

Sounding great, great performances.

Cheers,
    Geoff

woodman likes this.
  16. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, unpotted PAF's.......that's where the edge to your solo sound comes from.
    That upper mid, (engineer talk) but not quite outa control bite.

17. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I didn't even care because overall this kicks ass and I love it... BUT the ride cymbal on the right, and the cymbal over there too to a lesser degree was poking out to me too. Nitpicking and I feel silly mentioning it because this is great. It could even have to do with the right side being pretty bright overall somehow but i would tread carefully not to lose the great feel. Might even just leave it alone if it were me.

woodman likes this.
  18. woodman

I'll give it a re-listen. Thanks, y'all!

19. woodman

Busy week! Finally got this song file back open and tinkered with the cymbals. Yeah, that ride was mighty clangy! The last phase of the mix, I was getting the guitars tucked in, but never revisited the drums. :rolleyes: It doesn't help that my ancient ears really have a hard time with highs — my rule of thumb is, if I can hear them, they're probably too loud! :D But running the mix thru all speaker systems and the headphones, no question that ride was pretty harsh, and I had the crash cymbals pulled up to match them. As I was working on it, trying to get some dynamics going, it occurred to me that I'd violated one of the first rules of fake drum tracks our pal Larry F tipped me to, back in my rookie days: Always vary the volume on your ride cymbal! I found several stretches where it was banging out quarter- or eighth-notes at a uniform velocity of 127 on each hit. UGH!

So I rassled with it a while and came up with this. Let me know if you think I overcompensated! ;)
    (This replaces old file)

Teleterr and LKB3rd like this.
  20. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sounds great, Mr. Grand Wazoo!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.