1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

GFS tele bodies?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by TeleTown, Aug 6, 2013.

1. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Anybody try the GFS tele bodies? Ive got a neck that needs to be put to work. Thinking of a GFS tele body. Likes & Dislikes/ Thanks!!

2. NastyMojo

NastyMojo Tele-Afflicted

I've also been thinking bout tryin' em

3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I've used two, they're fine except that there is no straight edge where the output jack goes. That area usually needs fixing a year or two later. They are very light and fit Fender licenceds necks perfectly. For tone I can't really hear a great deal of difference- a little lighter than Ash JMHO.

4. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Their bodies are fine. Early on, some of them had issues but that's been corrected. I've got two Strats and two Teles with their bodies; 3 of them finished and 1 unfinished. The finish you get is pretty decent, especially for the money. The pawlonia is exceptionally light, and the unfinished mahogany I got was beautiful. For some reason, the red finishes in my pics look smeary-it's not that way at all in reality.

Attached Files:

5. Outcaster

Outcaster Tele-Holic

Oooooohhhh

How about a full length shot of the blonde with the Rickenbacher neck. I like that a lot

6. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

:DSorry-it's not a Ricky-it's a Dinky!:DI know-"Oh, the humanity!";)

Attached Files:

7. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

No issues at all with mine.
    [​IMG]

8. richinva

richinva Tele-Meister

The Paulownia body that I got from them was awful. Paint drips/runs, neck pocket too tight, string-thru holes crooked, etc. Had to chop out quite a bit to get the bridge pickup installed. It IS very lightweight.

Mine DID have the flat spot for the jack.

However, if you're handy and you don't care about finish perfection, it's a nice platform.

For $49.95, it was/is hard to pass up, but I'm handy and don't care about finish perfection.............For Teles, at least for me, performance trumps looks. And I would buy another at that price, but I wouldn't expect perfection.

As always, my $.02.............................

9. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

My paulwonia strat body is good as is my twin p90 P- wood.No issues.

10. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

crap shoot at best. I've gotten good and terrible bodies from them.

11. NewPort

NewPort Tele-Meister

A question about the Dinky. Does it have an extra long fingerboard overhang or an extended neck pocket? Did a little research, looks like you may have modified the neck pocket to fit the Dinky, if so it looks like a nice job.

The surf-green is my GFS blem. A few dings, but not bad, basic design is not too bad, very good body for DIY. 5-1/2 pounds.

Attached Files:

12. Wound3rd

Wound3rd Tele-Meister

I built 2 Teles with their bodies, one for me and one for my son. No issues with either one, very light-weight and the first neck I put on mine was an old Carvin I had used years ago on an Allparts body. It fit perfectly without even redrilling the holes. Replaced it with a Mighty Mite V shaped neck and it's pretty close to being my favorite guitar now.

13. comebackkid

comebackkid Tele-Meister

My Capri Orange had the same issues.

14. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, it was a 25.5 scale 24 fret neck with no overhang, and I was routing for the Gretschbuckers anyway, so I routed the neck pocket all the way to the neck pup chamber. Fortunately, the neck had an extra-long mounting surface so that I was able to keep the neck plate in the standard location. A very slick playing, unique sounding axe. Like your Tele, too!

Attached Files:

15. Outcaster

Outcaster Tele-Holic

You had me going with those inlays and pickups. I guess I'll have to try a GFS body to build my own Twangle-caster.

16. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Love it!

17. NewPort

NewPort Tele-Meister

Excellent, I've thought about doing what you did but haven't, been fighting tennis elbow by using 24 and 24.75 scale necks so the low frets wouldn't be as much a reach. The 24 works really well but the extra 3/4 inch of the 24.75 scale sounds better. So if I extended the neck pocket 3/4 inch and mounted a hardtail top load bridge 3/4 inch back my elbow would be real happy. The bridge pickup could be in the original route ala GE Smith or a separate mounting plate.

I like the look of the neck extended into the pickguard, very nice.

18. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

Love them overall-I've used five so far- for the most part,any issues have been minor.They
    are definitely light,and definitely worth the price,jmho.

19. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

I see where you're going-yes that would work with a 25.5 scale neck as long as you moved the bridge as well. I just checked a 24.75 scale, 22 fret neck and, keeping the stock location of the bridge, you would only have to extend the neck route to aprox 1" above the top of my neck pup, and the headstock end of the neck would still be about 1 3/4" closer to you! In my case, I wanted to keep the stock location for the bridge, and the neck, although the same scale as a Tele neck, was three frets longer, so there was nothing to do except extend the neck pocket right into the stock neck pup route, and cut a new route for the neck 'bucker below that. Thanks to you and the others for your interest and compliments-it's much appreciated.

20. wadeaminute

wadeaminute TDPRI Member

I bought a blem paulownia body in what must have been a sample colour - Cardinal Red. I made an Esquire using a Squier Vintage Modified tele thinline neck that is a 24.75". Love it.
    The body took some work to get it to work: thru-body holes were not right, control route was not right - but I made it work with just a Dremel tool and patience.
    I also just ordered a double bound black body to make another Esquire.
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.