GFS Set Neck Guitar Bodies

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by longbow, Feb 15, 2020 at 5:58 AM.

1. longbow

longbow Tele-Holic

Looking at the GFS website and I see in there clearance section a different assortment of set neck guitars. Its just finished pre painted bodies and necks etc. No electric parts etc. Tele's and Strats are what I am most interested in. Anybody build one out from these parts? I have not had very good luck in the past with GFS with any type of guitar so I though I would ask. thanks

2. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Those things end up being work... sorry so vague I can elaborate in a bit.

3. sk25

sk25 Tele-Meister

You need to specify which part in the clearance section you're talking about.

Factory Buyout--disassembled/never finished bodies and necks (and sometimes set necks) that were for some reason put into storage by overseas factories. These almost always need work to assemble, and most of them need some level of refinishing. This is the section most people will assume you're talking about.

GF Basics -- currently full of bodies that they say need a final polishing. Basic level, these are probably the sort that people here complain tend to have neck pocket/alignment/finish issues. Low end bodies.

Discounted Clearance Guitars -- seems to be all blemished guitars at the moment. They're generally upfront with what's wrong. I'm guessing this is the section you're talking about.

Necks, Bodies, and Kits -- currently full of necks and bodies in various states of blemished.

----------------

I like GFS, they are the cheapest place I've found to get readily available guitar bodies in a variety of finishes. Of course, they all require work to make sure everything fits. If you want a paint-by-the-numbers experience without any modification, you should probably look elsewhere. If you're ok with shaving an edge here, sanding a neck pocket flat there, or drilling new holes, go for it.

Danb541, crazydave911 and Rev Rhythm like this.
  4. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I picked one up a while back, looking for a potential project and they are dirt cheap,,,
    not shown in the picture was the 7/8" jack hole that's supposed to go to the control cavity was drilled off at an angle into no mans land lol
    lots of dings and scratches
    Had a trem route that was kind of mangled with a shim of some sort glued in there.
    I think it was advertised as a 25.5" scale but was really 25"

They are pretty clear about what these bodies are in the descriptions at the clearance and factory buyout section, but its really tempting at the price to take a stab that ya may get one that doesn't need that much work,
    you can make anything play... depends on skills, drive, and time I guess... I had that body sitting around for a couple years and just ended up selling it for 10 buck on ebay lol

5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That should be your lesson learned. There has been something wrong with every body or neck I have bought from them from string spacing on the nut to misalignment and incorrect neck pocket dimensions. Not that any of that can't be rectified, but it boils down to how much time and effort you want to put into making it right. I have a nickel that says anything with a set neck from GFS will arrive with some sort of alignment issue.
    My current build uses a GFS body with which I had to lay up veneer in the neck pocket to resize & properly align it with the string ferrules and pickup routes. Although it will be a nice guitar when I am done, it will be my last GFS project.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 4:17 PM
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I feel I have limited experience with them, compared to many of you. I've bought lots of hardware parts from them, with reasonably good results.....but I've gotten two bodies (both Tele-style). One was an XGP (or whatever it is) sunburst finish, and the other was an unfinished, un-drilled Paulownia body. On the first one, a 1993 Korean Fender Squier neck fit PERFECTLY, as well as other Fender or Fender-licensed parts. On the Paulownia, a Fender-licensed neck from Warmoth also fit like a glove-in-hand. Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead? ;)

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

re the set neck ensembles.. is the truss rod access at the headstock?? and .. there is no "tongue" extending from the heel into the body to provide additional support.. if there was you could see it in the neck pickup rout... since ya cannot, it would suggest the neck is just a regular bolt on that's has been glued in the neck pocket instead of mounted with a tenon extending into the body..

here's one I have currently under construction... and you will see similar in about any set neck guitar..

r

DSC_8088.jpeg

r

8. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

The OP is interested in the set neck teles, stated right in his post. There's only 1 page of these. Pretty specific guitar.

I have this unfinished one still in a box. Love the description... double cutaway?
    https://www.guitarfetish.com/SPECIA...ditional-Single-Coil-Rosewood-FB_p_21260.html

I got the unfinished because their finished offerings are awfully lazy looking around the neck pocket. As Ron mentioned, it's a bolt on that has been glued into a paulownia body.

It's a multi piece body with veneers covering all the ugliness. You can see from the images easily. I was gonna paint it anyway, so none will be visible.

I haven't even gotten around to getting some precise measurements regarding the route locations, etc. to make sure it will intonate.

The neck description is a laugh-"12" radius with a medium "C" neck profile with just the hint of a deeper V". It's nothing like that. It's an average depth C shape neck.

I always wait for their practically weekly sale before I buy anything from them. Surprisingly, their customer service has been decent for me lately. I wouldn't have said that a couple years ago. There have been some purchases that GFS shouldn't have bothered even posting on their site. One husk I got was filled with mold, covered in water marks. It'd obviously been wet for awhile. The neck was a disaster. I returned it & it showed up on their site for sale again. Someone else's problem now.

9. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Why would anyone glue the neck into a tele style guitar?

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

'Cause some feel that a set neck guitar has some advantages over a bolt on... Since "stuff" like that can get in your head, it's to their advantage to take the jump if at all possible.. If they don't, it gets in that head and rattles around making ya wonder if you made the right call...

Since bolt-ons can sound great, and set necks can sound great.. the "great" ya hear could just be part of that cognition going on in the brain.. and further, since it really doesn't matter how "great sounding" arrives, as long as it's hitched a ride on the back of great playing.. it couldn't matter in the least..

Remember it doesn't matter what the rationale is for having any feature as part of your guitar as long as that rationale is simply, " 'cause I wanted it that way dammit."

Rock On..

r

Old Deaf Roadie, Skub and LeftFinger like this.
  11. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

I recently bought an Epiphone replacement neck (not listed as one and not a second or clearance) for my L6 Express.It not only had the newer Epiphone headstock (could have bought a paddle headstock) but since Gibson gave Epiphone Division all their old tooling the neck fit my neck pocket perectly.People buy their clearance and closeout stuff here then gripe nothing stand fits :eek:. I'm like WTF did you expect? :lol:

LeftFinger likes this.
  12. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I bought the aforementioned "set neck" tele because it was different, not because of any perceived qualities someone might assume. I bought an unfinished to be able to paint it to my liking & see what becomes of it. That is all.

Feel free to ask any specific questions @longbow.

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

I don't get that place, I bought a tele body years ago, that was basically unworkable, and this wasn't a clearance item, I've heard that some of their stuff is a little better, but for 6-7 months, they have been out of stock on every tele or strat body I would be willing to take another crack at.

14. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Meister

I've bought bodies from GFS and never had any issues when I've purchased the more expensive ones. They have a cheaper bodies section, those aren't worth the money. The double bound tele body you see on my profile picture is a GFS body. I got it for less than $100 during a sale. It's excellent. Maybe I've just been lucky.

They did send me the wrong body one time and customer service never got back to me at all. I made several attempts through email. There was no phone number to call. I finally gave up and built a guitar with it. About a year later they contact d me and said they were moving the warehouse at the time, I fell through the cracks I guess. They offered me a discount in future purchase. I haven't ordered anything from them since then.

15. Spinaltap1

Spinaltap1 TDPRI Member

GFS, I have had good luck with them. About 2 years ago I bought a set Neck LP body/neck from GFS, I bought a set of 59 pickups with a plug and play wiring harness, with push pulls in the tone controls to split the coils. I bought all the bridge parts from GFS, everything but tuners, I had a set. The LP body had a thin flame veneer, but looks fantastic, its finished in a blue burst. I had 2 problems, the bridge should have been epi width, but they sent the parts, when I said they didn't fit they sent me a replacement, still didn't fit, but I filed it down so it fit. and the wiring harness had a short in it, it too was quickly replaced. The guitar plays excellent, has great sounding 59 pups, and I can split the coils for a single coil sound. It got a nice set up from a friend. It was everything I wanted it to be, even if it ended up costing more than I had wanted it to.

I recently bought a "hurricane" brand Tele from their factory buyout clearance section, and after a 30% discount my $115 tele plays and sounds great. It had a tone knob that needed a good spray cleaning, and a strap pin that was a bit corroded, both easy fixes.

They have a sale every holiday, so I would plan any buying, and be cautious of the factory clearance section, that's where lots of problems can be bought. I am very happy with my GFS guitars, just know what you are buying.

16. sk25

sk25 Tele-Meister

He's also talking about the clearance section on that site, which you know as well as I do, people here will see "clearance", assume it's the factory buyout clearance section, and spout the usual drivel when the subject comes up here. Just trying to clarify so the rest of us don't have to wade through three pages of incorrect assumptions, that's all.

---

On-topic - OP - My experience is with the bodies and necks as opposed to the glued in set necks, but I agree with basically everyone else: it'll probably require some work. There is no reason you can't make a great guitar out of it though, just be aware of what it is, and of what it is not.

crazydave911 and bender66 like this.
  17. longbow

longbow Tele-Holic

Thanks folks, think I'll just look for a body elsewhere and pick up decent parts etc as I go along. thanks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.