GFS rail pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by tombob, Jul 7, 2019.

1. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

Guitar Fetish single coil sized rail humbuckers.

2. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I was wondering about others experience with these. I have one in the bridge of a Tele that’s 10k and sounds great. I also have a Strat set that’s the 6/10/15k set. The 15k bridge is just too dull and muddy. I plan to put a series/parallel switch on it and use a 500k pot. I’m wondering if it might be worth a s/p switch on the 10k too.
    I remember they originally sold these as Bardon replacements which they are absolutely nothing like a Bardon but I really like the cooler wound ones. There’s more SD rail sounding than Bardon though.

BB likes this.
  3. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

I love mine. I have Lil punchers in my partscaster. I'm just a bedroom guitarist for now but I do love all the tones I can get with just my volume and tone knobs plus a coil tap on these.

4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I think a pot change to 500k or even 1 meg will fix your sound problem w out a need for rewiring. As someone always says , have you adjusted the height ? Very close should improve treble w- out string pull.

5. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I’m putting them in another pick guard anyway so I thought a parallel switch might be good since I’m rewiring everything anyway. The bridge wasn’t bad with overdrive but I thought it would help with cleans.

6. frankjc

frankjc TDPRI Member

I have one in one of my strats, good sounding pickup especially for the price. I also installed a 500k pot.

7. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I’ve wired up a set in a Strat pick guard. It already had a push botton switch so I hooked up a series/parallel switch.
    2FD46D5A-EA4E-440B-B972-3DFDBE53E22F.jpeg

Zepfan likes this.
  8. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

I installed a set my other guitar player's Strat. He loves them. They do sound good. I'm generally impressed with GFS pups for the price. I have the Texas 63's in one of my Strats & have had or installed many others in my own & friend's guitars. All have been well worth the cost.

9. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I like the look. Let us know how it sounds.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I had a set in a telecaster and I liked them. But, they did not sound like telecaster pickups. They sound great, though. More of a gritty rock sound, no twang.

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I use one I got from MusicLily in my PRS SE One in neck position. It sounds good, although I USUALLY just use the bridge P-90.....it's THAT good. pathfinder 15R 046.JPG

Zepfan and tombob like this.
  12. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I’ve had great luck with GFS pickups in general. The only problem I had had with these was the bridge doesn’t have much bite for clean tones. I’m hoping the s/p switch will fix that and give me a mean crunch in series and a little more bite in parallel for clean licks.

13. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

I have a set. They work just fine.

14. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I’ve got a 10k bridge in a Tele too I really like. I put another in the neck and a Strat single in the middle and it gives me a lot of range.

15. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

gfs pickups are as good as any and many folks love 'em, and why not? they all work quite well as designed.

the problem with all pickups is how will they sound in our guitars, with us playing, and through whatever modulation and amplification system we employ. it's always a gamble of sorts, no matter what. soundbytes can help, for sure, but none are foolproof - too many variables - but at least will get you in some manner of ballpark.

16. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I have the Lil Puncher modern lead (15k I think) in an American Standard tele, no neck pickup, no switch. It is a little dark at times. I wired it with a gfs kwik plug LP jr harness. Maybe a better quality wiring setup would help me find some more treble. But overall, I am quite pleased. I did not want to shell out too much money. This pickup is good enough to keep from from gassing for a Les Paul, so at $30, that's a savings of about $2,469!!!

17. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

500K pots would probably help.

18. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

My partcaster Nashville has Lil Puncher Cool Vintage neck and bridge, and a 6K Lil Killer middle pickup. They don't sound like single coils, but they sound good, and they don't hum. I use 500K pots. The only thing I don't like is that the Lil Killer is slightly larger than a strat pickup, and I had to ream out the pick guard some. If I ever wanted to put a real strat sized pickup in there, it would look stupid, or I'd have to get another pick guard. I tried the Modern Vintage bridge pickup, but it was too hot and muddy sounding for the set, so I went back to the Cool Vintage bridge.

19. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

The harness has 500K pots, but they are very cheap. I also wonder if the kwik plug arrangement is a bit of a tone suck. Maybe a 15k dcr pickup could use a 1meg tone pot?

20. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

My concern about the kwik plug thing is that at some point, the plugs and sockets will oxidize and require cleaning with Deoxit. That could happen at a bad time, like when you're in the middle of a gig.

You might benefit from a 1 meg pot, my real Fender Nashville has Vintage Noiseless pickups and 1 meg pots for both tone and volume.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.