GFS Pick-ups as bad as I think?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by JonnyPM, Feb 22, 2014.

1. JonnyPM

JonnyPM Tele-Meister

I keep trying the GFS kool-aid but it isn't working. I've bought three totally different pick-ups and everyone of them sounds like absolute crap. I know... why up to three before reaching this conclusion? I thought at $35 it's worth the gamble and maybe I didn't quite buy the right one for the application. Currently they are on the basement guitar tour - trying them in every damn guitar I have - and yes they still sound like crap. I buy a high-output one and it's too high-output and untameable (not nice sounding untameable - crap shrilly-ness no low-end) so I try one as close to the output range as my favorite pick-up, and it's dead as a doornail. Absolutely no output at all, I've got the thing so close to p/u's it's about to hit the strings. I keep thinking I'm buying the wrong ones, but I think I'm done spending anymore money on GFS paperweights.

Is there a consensus on these things or am I just not hitting the luck of the draw?

2. Anguslaing

Anguslaing TDPRI Member

I put a gfs hand wired pickgaurd on a squire strat very happy. Not quite as much quack as I would like but all and all minor complaint

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Having read comments here, some people like them...some don't. The price is right and they look good. I never thought I could hear differences in pickups until I started winding and playing my own. There is a big difference between machine wound and scatter wound to my ears.

4. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Tele-Meister

I don't know about those particular ones, but I have had good results with the GFS surf strat pups and their Mean 90 pups. I imagine that like all brands, some models are better than others.

5. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The Lil Puncher XLs I've got in my #1 are really nice. I've been underwhelmed by some of the other pickups I've tried, but it's all a matter of opinion.

6. twiggymac

twiggymac Tele-Holic

My mean 90 bridge pickup sounds great, but I haven't tried much of their other stuff. Then again, I've used 3 dollar pickups and enjoyed them. Usually the amp is all that matters, and each pickup/guitar needs it's own eq to sound its "best"

7. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

+1 on the mean 90, great pup, good price. Can't vouch for the rest of their line, but this ones good.

8. tweedtone

tweedtone Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've got a pair of their Filtertron copies in an old Schecter Pete Townshend and quite like 'em.

9. csdavidson

csdavidson TDPRI Member

The ones I like and still currently use-
    1960's Hot Tele Bridge (my fav, have it in an Esquire and it sounds amazing)
    Dano Lipstick repros, medium wound
    P90 Dogears

Ones I didn't like-
    Hotrail set for a Tele, medium wound
    Mean 90 (the jury is still out on this one, but it seems really dark)

10. 0018g

0018g Tele-Meister

I've got s a set of 50's style something-or-others in a Strat and love 'em. I had a rail in a tele, and a set of Liverpools in a Gretsch-y 12 string. The rail was a little bright so out it came and the Liverpools were absolutely the worst sounding pu's I've ever heard, at least in that guitar.

So, yeah, hit and miss but some good stuff. I'd take the gamble again if it seems appropriate for the project.

11. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

And I've got a set in my Epiphone and really like them too.

12. eMGee

eMGee Friend of Leo's

I put a GFS lipstick in the neck position of a Squier 51 and love it -- it's turned that two-pickup guitar into, essentially, a single-pickup guitar.

13. Jimo

Jimo Tele-Afflicted

Been Wonderin...?

I am thinking of trying a set of Mean 90's as well....do you think 500k pots would lighten them up??? I assume you used 250?........

14. superlightweigh

superlightweigh Tele-Holic

I love my Liverpools- very Gretchy sounding, as promised. Also put their Dream 180's in a couple guitars as upgrades over stock ceramics.

I havent tried their PAFs yet but I will someday. I never buy overwound pups, I just put a series/parallel switch if I want more output its right there.

15. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

I used 500k pots on mine, sounds great

16. Jimo

Jimo Tele-Afflicted

Hey Thanks Axedaddy---500K it is!!!

17. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Put an overwound set in my Strat. I definitely have to tweak the amp/pedals when I use it because now it's twice as loud as stock.
    I have a couple of Pro Series, a Tele neck, and a humbucker for the bridge that I am going to install in a project Squier 51 eventually.

18. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Look through the Artec line & you can find pretty much every pup GFS stocks for less somewhere.

... & going another step further the Giovanni line is much better for the same price.

19. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

I think artec makes many of the gfs line, or they have the same manufacturer. I have checked out the Giovanni line. Pretty good aye?

20. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

That's what I was saying. Artec is the manufacturer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.