GFS Partscaster Disaster?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by PingGuo, Dec 3, 2019 at 1:51 PM.

1. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic

So...

One of my coworkers got a little over excited about black friday and came in to work today with a bunch a GFS supplied parts.

The short of it is, I don't think it'll be able to intonate with the trem route that it came with.

What do you think? Would you even try to put the bridge on or is it just a return?

Note that the saddles are fully extended in the pictures... and the bridge is pressed against the edge of the route closest to the neck.

Normally I would try to set the 25.5" spot in the middle of the throw of the saddles if it were a from scratch build. But that said, I have much more experience with hard tails...

Thoughts appreciated!

*side note, 2 of the position locking screws for the saddles are stripped out of the box :lol:*

IMG_0020.jpg IMG_0021.jpg IMG_0022.jpg IMG_0023.jpg IMG_0024.jpg

2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

If you do that you throw away over half the travel - you will never have the break point ahead of the scale length measurement. I try to put the farthest forwards position at the scale.

3. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

How hard would it be to enlarge the rout in the neck direction and drill new pivot point screwholes? Seems like the bridge might hide the old ones once installed. It’s a cool-looking body.

(I never assembled a trem bridge before; apologies if I’m overlooking something dumb.)

4. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic

I could be stupid (it's always a possibility) but my well intonated strat sitting next to me has more than a few of the saddles closer than 25.5"

nojazzhere and telemnemonics like this.
  5. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic

Studs haven't been installed yet. My coworker isn't going to mod it himself (and I'm not doing it for him).

Mostly I'm looking for someone to say "yep that looks wrong" or "you idiot, it looks fine to me"

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Since the post holes for the trem mount screws haven't been drilled yet, I think you could cut some material away in the tremolo pocket and then drill the post holes in the right place. You need to ensure that all the cavities(neck pocket/pickup/tremolo) are all inline with each other before doing anything. Wood products from this dealer have been problematic for many.

The Tremolo should be returned for exchange.

7. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic

Do you agree with my knee jerk assessment of "it looks like it might not intonate"?

That Cal Webway likes this.
  8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think you need to just build it out as best you can and see what happens.

I think life is too short to be trying to return items to GFS. It was the plan all along at GFS to make anyone who tried to return something so miserable they would tell all their friends "don't attempt returns". This is strictly "The Lure of Salvage". Pretend you are working with a box of assorted parts bought at a yard sale. If the bridge won't work, look elsewhere for one that will.

+

See, this is what I do not understand. The whole reason for buying from Tommy Rosamond or Bill Lawrence was, if the part wasn't right, it never got shipped. GFS will ship ANYTHING and the frustration of something being wrong (and who knows what it is) totally negates any savings you pretend you got.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 2:22 PM
  9. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic

So, you think the bridge position looks good?

10. Zepfan

The Stewmac site says that the tremolo assembly should be 25.5" at the edge of the trem unit, but that's for a 6 screw vintage. Not sure about the 2 post type. Research that first.
    All the string lengths will be different for any scale. The lower strings will be longer and the higher string will be shorter.

11. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

i can think of several ways to fix as you really only need to go about 1/4-5/16". 1) cut the neck pocket deeper. 2) cut 5/16 off the heel of the neck. 3) cut the trem route another 5/16 towards the neck (not sure you have this). or take a little off all 3. with a router none of these steps would be all that hard, but since you don't have a whole lot of space tween the bridge and the bucker I'd opt for routing the neck pocket a bit more. can't see the heel of your neck and/or the shape of the pocket which might guide it one direction or the other.
    if you don't have a router or aren't comfy... you should return but it's not really gfs's fault imo.

matmosphere and mkdaws32 like this.
  12. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic

Do you agree with my knee jerk assessment of "it looks like it might not intonate as is"?

13. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I wish they just sold bodies without routes or holes drilled. My experience with them has been tele bodies & some known brand husks. Even then, they're questionable. There's too much risk in a routed strat body imo.

Not surprised that they re-listed something I returned to them & it sold again. It was specific & had a twisted neck.

Did that trem also come from them?

14. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic

Yeah, trem came from them too. But I give GFS a pass on that. It looks like the screws that lock the saddles were over tightened by the Wilkinson licensed manufacturer.

I agree about the drilling/routing. If they can't do them right, they shouldn't do them.

I warned my coworker before his order that it was a crap shoot. And now I'm just looking for some confirmation before I tell him to give up. He *could* mod it or beg me to fix it. But that's not really the point.

He had a strat neck laying around. And wanted to bolt it to a cheap body. Now, it looks like that's not possible. Easier just to scrap the project.

He's not hurting for guitars

15. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Good For Salvage.

PingGuo likes this.
  16. Zepfan

The stewmac page says 25.250" from nut to pivot post on Stratocaster style trems and lists 25" for Floyd Rose Types. This is a bit confusing because the 2 point Strat trem was made to be like the Floyd type, but I don't know which is the right length.

You should contact them and ask.

PingGuo likes this.
  17. Zepfan

Lots of GFS partscasters have been built with great results, some need a bit of tweaking and some are too far off to be fixed unless you fill the cavities and start over.

Their hardware has been very good for me so far except a bad tuner once.

Rev Rhythm and PingGuo like this.
  18. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted

Did he get a modern bridge for a vintage routed body? That will turn out that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matmosphere and bender66 like this.
  19. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic

Just looking at it makes me think the trade distance makes more sense.

20. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic

Are you saying that the trem cavity moves depending on a vintage 6 screw trem vs a 2 point trem? (asking in earnest)

Dismalhead likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.