GFS Parts-Lester, A Cautionary Tale

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by R. Stratenstein, May 22, 2016.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

2. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

[QUOTE="R. Stratenstein...
    I wonder if I could challenge GFS on their advertising this thing as mahogany? It's really misleading, and at that price, they really don't need to lie--they could always say something like "special Asian tone wood" or something like that.

But if I ever sell this baby, I will definitely brag about the scientifically designed MAHOGANY TONE DISK that creates extra resonance in the switch area, making for that endless sustain and rocknroll tone everyone loves. An Exclusive!

Thanks again, James![/QUOTE]

Wait....weren't you talking about truth in advertising in the first part of that post?

...and on a totally different subject, I wish I could send all of my builds to James for finishing. Or Herb. Or just about anyone but me............

3. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Preach, my brother! :D

4. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oh, Jeez, nibs or nibless, gold or nickel, set neck vs. screw-on, too many decisions! Well, actually the last one is made for me, it's a screw-on (LOL, just occurred to me, hopefully not a screw-UP) But I suppose I could really scrape all the paint and undercoat and plastical crud outta the neck pocket and glue in the neck, right? End of the neck doesn't need to be shaped like a tenon does it? It would have more of a tenon than an SG, I'm pretty sure.

My sonic grails are little orange plastical bullets full of farads, that are gonna stay that way long after I give a flying flurpus. C'mon, say it along with me--"farads-is-farads".. :p

Cool, you should hand your neighbor a guitar and have some photos taken with him. Unless he's stoned all the time like the old Joe used to be. . .

Yeah, I won't tell you what I thought when I woke up the day after I botched that one !! It was not the day for much of anything, as I recall!

I agree with you, Joe Walsh used to be, to me, just some guitar-playing punk who happened to have talent, and trashed hotel rooms and broke other people's property just because he could get away with it(and apparently pay for it), and abused just about anything he could get his hands on. I liked his music, but not so much Joe Walsh. I couldn't believe it when the Eagles brought him on board--what, do these guys have a death wish? But it turns out one of the levers in turning Joe around was Glenn Frey coming to him and telling him they wanted him to rejoin for a reunion, but they needed him sober, and couldn't use him if he stayed screwed up.

It is very engaging now to see how honest, open and yes, humbled he has become. He doesn't try to hide or make excuses, but mans up to all the crap he used to do. He's very open and public about his struggle to reclaim his life which takes a lot of guts, IMO, even the fear he had for years and years after becoming sober, that he'd lost his talent, and could not do the things he used to do.
    IMO, his Analog Man album pretty well puts that last bit to bed. It's got great Joe Walsh licks, clever lyrics, it's well produced, and yes, has several songs about his incredible turn-around in life.

Mr Green Genes and HockeyPop98 like this.
  5. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

I'll have to give Analog Man a listen. It's funny, I grew up so poor that I didn't abuse anything because I saw irreplaceable value in everything. A different perspective I suppose.
    Rob

HockeyPop98 likes this.
  6. R. Stratenstein

Wait....weren't you talking about truth in advertising in the first part of that post?

...and on a totally different subject, I wish I could send all of my builds to James for finishing. Or Herb. Or just about anyone but me............[/QUOTE]

But that's different. There will actually be a small disc of mahogany--and I elect to call it a tone disk. You can actually see James glue it in right in this thread. On the other hand, there is no discernable mahogany at all in the body they advertise as "all mahogany".

Do you speak of finishing in the sense of "applying a pleasing colorant and protective film to the wood" or as in, "get them damn mandolins off the dusty shelf and finish buildin' em?"

Enquiring minds want to know.

[/QUOTE]

I like Analog Man quite a bit.

I suppose if you're trashing your brain cells continuously, not much else has any value.

7. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I saw that documentary too! Very interesting.

I found it odd that he sorta credits Don and Glenn for being better songwriters. But he has a bunch of unbelievably iconic songs (Life in the Fast Lane, Turned to Stone, Rocky Mountain Way) to his credit. I honestly don't think he gives himself a lot of credit for being as good as he is. He was really influential to a lot of guitarists.

awasson likes this.
  8. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

[QUOTE="R. Stratenstein...Do you speak of finishing in the sense of "applying a pleasing colorant and protective film to the wood" or as in, "get them damn mandolins off the dusty shelf and finish buildin' em?"

Enquiring minds want to know.

[/QUOTE]

Actually I hadn't thought of having one of them finish building the mandos. Hmmmm......Nah..I'll do that one day. Really.

No, really.

9. R. Stratenstein

K. If you say so. I believe you. No, really, I do.

10. Moldy Oldy

Moldy Oldy Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I saw the Eagles in Anaheim about a year or 18 months ago. Not taking anything away from the other guys at all, because the entire show was great, but they let Joe sort of take over the second half and it was life-changing. The skill, energy, showmanship were just off the charts.

And I love that stupid goofy grin when he goes into his Joe place.

11. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

I wish we could have a double like button when needed.
    that stupid goofy grin reminds me of a very special friend. LOL

12. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Nice repair work James , can't wait to see it refinished ;)

Nosmo , you can send me the mando anytime , don't use the same carrier as the bass though , that one never showed up :confused::D

13. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Perfect color coat - check
    I should sand that one little spot just a tiny bit more - check
    Perfect sand-thru - check

One more coat and back to perfect - not checked yet :(

R. Stratenstein likes this.
  14. R. Stratenstein

LOL, James, Glad to see you're approaching perfection, even if it's a perfect sand-through. No telling what it woulda looked like with me behind the gun!

15. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Wasn't a low spot on the color coat, was absolutely perfect - then this.

16. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

17. R. Stratenstein

Won't that buff out??:eek:

18. R. Stratenstein

That one on the right, that's mine, right? I recognize it. Yup, that's the one OK.

19. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Lol, just saw your comment about the one on the right. Sure, but let me move yours to the right and take another pic...

Anyway, in other news... Shiny is good.

[​IMG]

20. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Wow!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.