GFS Necks

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by IMadeYouReadThis, Jul 17, 2018.

1. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

I'm looking for a dirt cheap neck ($40-ish) for a dirt cheap build. I found this GFS neck and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it, or if there was a better option. I don't care if it takes some work, I just need it to be functional with preferably less than 30 minutes worth of sandpaper, files, and elbow grease. This guitar is a from scratch, Esquire build under $250 with all new parts (a friend and I are having a competition to see who can make the better tele under $250 USD).

chemobrain likes this.
  2. IMadeYouReadThis

3. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I was going to buy this for my 12-string build a year or two ago, but I needed a true paddle neck both sides, and without the holes drilled. GFS didn't have that, and I was afraid that the angle/alignment of the drilled holes wouldn't work when I had to drill the other side.

So I bought a piece of crap from Eden, but it's a chunky neck and I got it to work, just about. For a 12, you want chunky and fat.

I have two partscasters with GFS necks, one with a slant-back headstock. Both of mine are just fine, although GFS isn't known for 100% perfection.

But for the money you're talking about for this neck, you gotta go for it. How can you go very wrong?

4. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

My tech won’t touch GFS bodies or necks. Kind of glad. For not significantly more than what it would have cost me to put a GFS together, I have a nice MIM Standard Telecaster Partscaster that I could actually sell if need be.

nojazzhere and thegreatshocka like this.
  5. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I've used them on a handful of builds, tried both the kind you're looking at as well as the "upgraded" xgp necks. In my experience the xgp necks weren't really any better than the cheaper ones, so I wouldn't spend the extra money on one of those. Some were better than others, but all of them needed work on the nut and fret leveling, so you may need to spend a little more than 30 minutes there. One (an xgp actually) had a few nicks on the back of the neck that had been filled, that was the only one with significant flaws. Overall they are pretty nice for the money, just keep in perspective that they are something like half the price of a used MIM neck and temper your expectations accordingly.

6. IMadeYouReadThis

I already have a strat build (Yeah, it's the tele forum. Bear with me.) with a GFS body I got for $50 flat. It was Northern American Ash, mid weight, with complex, beautiful grain. The important routes, like the neck pocket, were flawless. The other routes, like the control and pickup routes were rough, but covered by the pickguard. The body has several pieces, but they are matched well enough that I could put a transparent stain on and nobody would guess the thing has several seams. My point is that GFS will cut corners on everything that you don't care about and give you decent quality on the things you do. In the end, all the imperfections are covered up and nobody will ever know it was a cheap part. That's why I love GFS, but my worry is that this neck has nothing to cut corners on and not matter. It worries me what they might have screwed up to cut costs. So that is largely why I ask. Sorry about the long post. Rant's over.

7. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

It's 32 freaking bucks.

Are you going to be disappointed if they CUT CORNERS!?

Let's get real here, okay?

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  8. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

GFS is the opposite of Kenny Rogers Roasters-

its the wood that makes it not good.

9. IMadeYouReadThis

I know they're going to cut corners, but how bad is it really, for 20% of the cost of the Allparts neck I put on my strat?

10. IMadeYouReadThis

On second thought, I might make this a slide guitar. In that case, does the neck quality even matter? It only needs a functional truss rod, the correct scale length, and some half decent wood, right?

11. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

I like GFS pickups, but my one experience with a GFS body makes me not want to take a chance on a GFS neck.

If I was in your shoes, I'd probably spend $150 on a neck and try to squeeze everything else into the remaining $100 :)

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Just add $13.76 to $15.40 for shipping.

13. HolyTele Tube

HolyTele Tube TDPRI Member

14. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

I used one a long time ago..It wasn't anything great but not really junk either..

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  15. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

In that case, it hardly even needs those.

16. IMadeYouReadThis

I guess I'll just show you my parts list:

▪(Amber Poly Finish)

▪Tonerider TRT1 Vintage Plus Tele Bridge pickup

MacDaddy|$47.99

▪Fender Esquire Tele Telecaster Eldred Mod Loaded 3 way Control Plate, Chrome

Amazon|$49.99

▪Copper Shielding Tape

▪Wilkinson Compensated Tele Bridge Brass Saddles

GFS|$29.95

▪Wilkinson Fender-Style Nickel Tuners- Six for Strats and Teles

GFS|$28.95

▪Nickel Vintage Tuner Conversion Bushings

GFS|$6.95

▪Fender style neckplate, screws and black mount plate

GFS|$3.95

▪Pair of Roller String trees Chrome finish

GFS|$5.45

▪Unfinished Telecaster-Fit Neck Paddle Headstock maple Fingerboard

GFS|$32.95

▪ElectroSocket Jackplate for Tele Chrome

Amazon|$6.84

▪Musiclily 8 Hole Tele Pickguard Blank Outline Scratch Plate for Fender USA/Mexican Tele Esquire Guitar, 3Ply Black

Amazon|$10.64

I will be building my own tele body, I'm skipping strap buttons and the headstock decal to save money. The bridge is a toploader also to save some time and money on string-through construction. I don't have lacquering equipment, so I have to settle for poly instead of a proper lacquer finish.

17. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Those kmise necks on amazon & ebay are easily worth the $29 they charge. I've not needed to return any but know I can easily if needed.

Mr Green Genes likes this.
  18. IMadeYouReadThis

I have seen some of these in the past. How do they stack up against GFS?

19. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I ordered an unfinished neck for a build I'm doing. Seems to be good. Haven't really put any instruments to it, but I went in knowing it will need some work done to it.

20. IMadeYouReadThis

Where did you order it from?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.