GFS lil puncher

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by fishingjude, Nov 16, 2016.

1. fishingjude

fishingjude TDPRI Member

I recently installed a pair of gfs lil puncher pickups on my cv tele and was curious about something. I have another cv tele that I installed some fender 52 reissue pickups with some mojotone pots and I really like the sound . I was interested to try something different on my other cv tele so I tried the gfs lil puncher. Not expensive and generally good reviews. I changed the pots to 500k pots split the pickups with a mini switch . The pickups sound good but the one complaint I have is that when I roll off the tone it is not subtle at all . It doesn't seem to have much range . It is mostly all or nothing. The tonal response I get from the 52 reissue pickups is truly beautiful. I tried both 250k and 500k pots and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Is this because the are basically humbuckers or is it the quality of these pickups. I was hoping someone could help. I have also tried a few different caps and
    I am using the cap I have on my 52 reissue pickups . Thanks
    Rey

2. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Might be a silly question, but... are they linear taper pots?

3. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Try a smaller value cap like a .02 or an .01. Gibson generally uses .022 with humbuckers while Fender uses .047 with single coils. Also interesting is a .005 cap.

4. fishingjude

fishingjude TDPRI Member

They are Rotary Potentiometer from mojotone. I will give the smaller cap a try.

5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I did not like those pups but that's your call.
    I like linear pots as a 5 is 5 (1/2 volume etc.)
    IMHO use 500K pots as Lil Punchers are essentially humbuckers
    and I did find little / no noise.
    I think the.022uF cap is a good idea from Andy B. JMHO
    Good Luck:)

6. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

I had a set of "Cool Vintage" Lil' Punchers in a homebrew Tele. I found that they sounded much better with 500K pots.
    Since they really are HB pickups, they were a bit dark with 250K pots.
    They weren't exactly "vintage tone" pickups, but I like them for what they are - which, to me, is a bigger, bolder sound with no noise.

You also may want to consider adding a treble bleed circuit across the volume pot, to prevent them from getting darker as you roll the volume back.

7. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Try the Fezz mod too. Makes the tone knob more usable through the whole range.

8. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Besides which being more in line with Gibson HB guitar tone circuit wiring...

I have some of the vintage ones too. With 500k pots and Gibson Tone circuit it is articulate pretty much. Unless the front end of the amp is pushed and the git vol pot is wide open. I like the HB compression better on them than the SD lil'59d for example. Seems less tight to me.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  9. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Try a smaller value cap on the tone control. I'd suggest a value lower than the typical 22nF//47nF values. I typically use caps in the 2.2nF to 10nF range. Makes the treble cut less dramatic, and leaves more upper midrange frequencies in the signal, so it 'warms up' the tone rather than 'muffles' it, IMO.

Pot value only makes a practical difference with controls at '10' or maxed out. 500k will have a sharper resonant peak, which will generally make pickups sound brighter or more articulate, with the pots wide open, compared to 250K.

10. 13ontheB

13ontheB Tele-Afflicted

I installed a GFS Lil' Puncher in my Mex Esquire. didn't change the pot. It tamed the ice pick tone and added some balls! it's the least expensive guitar I own but is my go to.

Doug 54 likes this.
  11. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

Linear taper pots suck!!

vid1900 likes this.
  12. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Don't linear pots have the full range consistent sweep from 10-1? Whatever it is, that's the one I prefer.

Audio pots sweep is the huge drop then nothing, which is what it sounds like he got in the new harness. How is that desirable? Don't tell me about how the human ear perceives nonsense. ;)

I have those mid model range Lil Punchers. I like em with 500k pots.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.