GFS Gold Foil pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by JohnS, Jan 3, 2015.

1. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

Anyone ready to report on the new GFS Gold Foil pickups? Thanks.

2. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

I've been waiting too. I think there is another thread, but I don't know that anyone has reported actual experience yet. I love those old guitars with gold foils, but most of them play like crap. A new true gold-foil pickup would be awesome.

3. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Meister

I have a set of the soapbars with ferrite magnets in one of my guitars. I'm not sure how close they are to the sound of real gold foils, but they sound great to me.

4. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Just put a set of the alnico single coils in humbucker casings on this Squier strat. They sound nice. I am going to flip the bridge pickup so the poles are closer to the neck to see if that gives it a little more oompf from the string vibrations. I wired mine with a 4 way tele switch.

[​IMG]

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

6. blowtorch

And... it's here

7. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

I'm really looking forward to the reports and, I hope, sound / video clips.

VC, that Strat punches almost all of my buttons (if it were mine, I'd lose the torment bar). Two-pickup Strat with appropriate knob placement: YES!

8. KeithJ

KeithJ Tele-Meister

9. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I've been curious about these as well.

Funny, another member just mentioned in a pm that he really likes his AP foils in a tele he built earlier this year & then this thread pops up.

That pic in offsetguitar of the dissected HB form version blew my theory out of the water.

10. blowtorch

I've got mine hooked up, but I'm still trying to get the 'bucker shell seated into the pickguard. Soldering is all done and solid, but I am having trouble aligning the screws through the springs and into the base of the pickup. (Yes I am a clutz.) Hopefully tonight I'll be able to finish it up.

Edit, this is the guit that I'm putting the goldfoil in, a prototype of this same guitar, which came originally with dual humbuckers. The goldfoil is going in the bridge:

http://www.puresalemguitars.com/models/classic-creep/

One major obstacle with me being able to get this pickup seated is that underneath the pickguard, the selector switch has a cavity that is separate from the cavities for the pickups. So I can't lift the guard high enough to steady the pickup underneath, to guide the adjustment screws in. I already connected the pickup to the switch, I may have to dissemble that, to get the pickup seated with it's screws, and then wire it up again.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  11. blowtorch

Well I got it all together, with help from a second pair of hands. First impressions are good. But it's late and everyone's asleep here tonight, on a school night. Tomorrow I'll get a chance to crank it up

12. blowtorch

crappy pic:
    [​IMG]

13. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Holy moly Mother of God.

Buzzardeater likes this.
  14. blowtorch

Right? :D

15. blowtorch

Looking forward to blasting it tonight, to see what it sounds like nice and LOUD

16. blowtorch

OK so my initial reaction was kinda "ehhh, it's alrite".

BUT, last night I got my first chance to play it with one of my bands, in rehearsal. We were just goofing around with a bluesey jam, which normally bores me to tears, but THIS was different. Sizzling, slippery, greasy JackWhite-ish DanAuerbachesque tones galore!

Awesomeness

Now, the ferrite single coil that I'd specified is pretty microphonic, and probably too noisy for a lot of folks. But I love it

17. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

OK, this is stupid, but this thread is making me want to try one of those. Or two of those. Problem is, for once I don't have a guitar that's wanting a p'up swap. So I would have to build/buy something to put them in. I'm outta here.

18. luckett

luckett Banned

Anyone know how the tone of these gold foils compares to the Dream 90s?

19. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

I've been interested in these for awhile. Anyone know how they compare to Gretsch Filtertrons?

20. blowtorch

To my ear, Dream 90s are full, smooth, rich sounding pickups, especially when used in bridge/neck combination position. I had a pair in a big hollowbody, and I swapped the bridge out for a Mean 90, wanting more oomph available for leads, and that magic in the combo position disappeared. I need to get a Dream 90 back in that bridge.

Filtertrons are , well, Filtertrons, hard to describe the tone of them but I do love them in my 6118 Double Anniversary.

These goldfoils, or at least the single coil ferrite one, is much more spiky, primitive, and garage-sounding . Think Hound Dog Taylor, Jack White, and Black Keys.

I should say that I didn't much care for the sound of the gold foil clean. It wasn't until I'd put it into a modeled cranked Bassman (with a Rat) preset that the awesomeness shone out.

Buzzardeater likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.