GFS 'Filtertrons' - any good?

BoogerRooger

Poster Extraordinaire
I've got some cheap parts and I want to make a 'Cabronita' style Tele, and I need an inexpensive Filtertron style bridge pup. Are the GFS Nashville or Liverpool pups any good, or are there any other pups like this that are worth considering? I'd like to hear your opinions. Thanks!

Colt W. Knight

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I like the Hot Nashville Retrotrons a lot.

IMG-20110104-00022.jpg

100_1839.jpg

The only problem with a Cab clone is that these are built with humbucker mounts, and not p-90/tv jones style mounts. So they wont mount as cleanly in the body as real Powertrons.

Jeff_K

Friend of Leo's
I have the Liverpool Retrotron in my Cab and love the sound. BUT I would probably get the actual Gretch Filtertron for $60 instead...yeah, more than the GFS but half the TV Jones--and it has the authentic look and sound, obviously. But if you're leaning to the GFS, it's a great sound in my guitar. Much more Les Paul than Tele, though. Mounted with a HB bracket.

Whiskey_Joe

Tele-Meister
I also love the Hot Nashville. I have one in the rhythm position of an electra rock'n'soul. It is a very thick, yet well defined tone. I love gfs!

GI Joe

TDPRI Member
I've had the memphis models in a thinline i built and they were nice. I have a set of nashvilles in an epi dot studio and they are magic - in that guitar. The bridge position is one of the first humbuckers that i actually like and will use. Just the right eq, not too bright or shrill or thin.

Whoa Tele

Friend of Leo's
I have a set of Nashville's in my Gretsch 5120. While they're a marked improvement over the Gretschbuckers, They lack a little definition and chime when compared to the filters in my 6120. I couldn't spring for the TVs and these get you in the ballpark.

JDRNoPro

Friend of Leo's
A lot of folks like them, but when I replaced the pickups in my Gretsch 5120, I found brand new HS Filtertrons on Ebay for nearly the same price - about $100 for the pair as I recall. Seller had these for sale on EBay regularly at that price.

If The Filtertron sound is what you want, it may be better to just go with the Gretsch HS-F. Also, should be easy to sell if you don't like it.

Just my $0.02

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I don't have a lot of experience with Filtertrons, but I can say that my Nashville Retrotrons (in a semi-hollow) are one of the few HBs that have made me happy.

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
I tried GFS pickups years ago in cheap upgradable guitars and on a scale of 1-10, I give them a 7. Not good, not bad. I have a couple of sets of the TV Jones filtertrons and can't understand why someone would want something else. They are incredible to my ears.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I have Gretsch Filtertrons in a few guitars and a pair of TV Jones FTs in a custom build. They all sound great and they sound like Filtertrons should (twang and growl).

The GFS 'Trons and Gretsch humbuckers (full-size HBs designed to look like FTs...sorta) really do not get close enough to the FT tone to differentiate them from any other standard humbucker. I tried their Liverpools in my Flying V years ago and I installed a set of the Nashvilles in a pal's guitar.

I'm not implying they sound bad; they're fine as pickups go. But they don't sound like Filtertrons.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I have Nashville Retrotrons in a hollowbody and they are terrific for what I play. Chimey, sparkly. My favorite humbuckers. The Liverpool Retrotrons were not as much to my taste

BorderRadio

Doctor of Teleocity
Repeating: the two pickups OP mentioned are nothing like Filtertrons.

GFS now offers their own Filtertron-sized pickups, and no, they are still not like your vintage-style Filtertron. I tried their 'vintage' GF'tron and it was way too 'hot' (i.e. 'dark'), even the neck pickup was silly at 5.8k. Now I don't know the gauge used and other factors, etc. but the use of 1/8" tall Alnico 2 magnets is already off the mark. The Hard Vintage and Modern Lead pickups are at least A5, but are intentionally wound up for that TVJ Powertron vibe. Those are also, you know, not a vintage style Filter sound.

I'm assuming if you want a Cabronita, then it will have FT routes. If so, I'd go with Gretsch HS Filtertrons. Might have to do some additional bottom pickup cavity routing, since the pole screws stick out, but they are fine pickups, and are made correctly: 1/4" A5 magnets, wound to around 4.0k.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/GFTron...lnico-II-Pickups-fits-FilterTron_p_33539.html

GF'Tron.JPG

Antigua Tele

Friend of Leo's
I agree the Gretsch Filter'trons are good. TV Jones makes good pickups also, but the Gretsch models cost a lot less and have more vintage correct looking filister screws.

Most of the GFS versions are a more like PAF spec pickups.

Whoa Tele

Friend of Leo's
I tried the Nashville’s but couldn’t get any sparkle or chime from them as they were dark and didn’t have that Tron clarity to my ears .

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I have a reverend revtron that seems to outpunch a few of them.
PRobably made by tvjones or someone.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I had a Memphis briefly that I liked. Always felt it would have been good on a 12 string.