GFS bridge pickups - anybody tried 'em?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by davidbund2, Feb 10, 2013.

Do you like GFS pickups?

1. Yeah, they're great for the money.

50 vote(s)
    74.6%
  2. No way, they suck.

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. Haven't tried 'em but I'm tempted.

15 vote(s)
    22.4%
  1. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

I've liked the Tele bridge picks I've gotten from GFS, but the Lawrence Keystones are far better for about the same money.

2. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

3. Psyclone

Psyclone Tele-Meister

I have the Lil' Puncher installed on the bridge of a couple of telecasters.
    I wouldn't have used it twice if I didn't like it the first time.

4. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Agreed ;) It's not rocket science for these little bastards :eek: Either they are crafted well, or they are cheap pups like the SX guitar pickups that will literally brittle apart in your hand :eek:

I have Fender and Boutique pups, the GFS Pro Series, hangs right in there with them in all honesty to my ears and visual inspection for quality craftsmanship. No doubt, most players have their own favs when it comes to pickups...I just try to keep an open mind. Lots of great pups on the market today :cool:

5. timmytVA

timmytVA Tele-Holic

I had the GFS Professional 52 slightly overwound in a CV50 that was converted to an Esquire. It sounded great. Bright and twangy when clean, fat and punchy with some overdrive. The tech that did the work for me recommended the GFS. I figured it didn't make sense to put a $100 pickup in a $300 guitar.

For my current project - updating my MIJ 85 Tele Custom, I went with Cavalier pickups.

Tim

6. keeffan

keeffan Tele-Holic

I had one of the thin lines of theirs and didn't like the stock GFS pups at all ( I forget what they were). I have had a hard time with all the pups from them I have tried except I do like the Liverpool Mini HB and the P90s they sell.

7. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

The GFS pups are okay for the money. The other pups they sell are just generic pups and are probably not any different than the stock pups in any import guitar.

8. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

I have their Strat ridge with the plate underneath it.
    Sounds great.

And the Fatbody neck pup in my T. Also great

9. Johntodd

Johntodd Tele-Meister

I have a Fat Pat, Crunchy Pat, and a calibrated set of Lil Punchers Cool Vintage. Love every one of them.

They seem to be real sensitive to height. Be sure to spend some time dialing them in.

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Buy one of Ron's Lion pickups, he offers several versions. When you shuffle the guitar down the line just pull it back out and put in the next one. I really don't think you can buy anything better or deal with a better guy. I have the original Cavalier Lion, if I were to get rid of the guitar it's in, I'd put the stocker back in and keep the Lion.

11. avagadro

avagadro Tele-Meister

Just put "lil puncher" modern vintage in a project, they sound great.

12. davidbund2

davidbund2 NEW MEMBER!

I noticed that the Admin moved this thread to 'Just Pickups'. I hope I didn't break any rules. I'm new to this forum.

13. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

Just installed a "Crunchy PAT" in an Epi Les Paul Jr. and for the $28 (including shipping) I paid for it, I'm impressed. Nice power. Didn't split the coils, just straight ahead rock 'n roll.

14. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

I have the 63 pro series hotter wound in my Tele bridge and love it.

15. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

I have a set of GFS "Lil Punchers" in a GFS Paulownia body and a set of Keystones in another. If you A/B them, you will be totally wowed at the difference! AINEC!

GFS has their pickups made for them in China. Wilde makes theirs in California under the direct control of the designer. My GFS set were shoddy, my Wildes have been beautiful. One company's pickups fit perfectly and one company's baseplate separated because the holes weren't drilled correctly, guess which ones!

My GFS set cost fifty dollars plus shipping. The first set of keystones were sixty four, plus shipping. One price is based on market and one is based on costs. GFS are a middleman. Their "Lil Punchers" are thirty dollars of profit margin, if you admit they are just generics from China. Wilde pickups are made in house and priced according to cost of materials and meticulous manufacture.

I like GFS a lot. They are friendly, helpful and seem like nice folks. Give them your money.

16. randomhitz

randomhitz Tele-Meister

I replaced the tele bridge in a Peavey Generation with a GFS Fatbody. Sounded bad at first with some buzz at first until cut the connecting wire from the pickup ground to the baseplate. I think I had to swap the polarity for the GFS to be in phase with the Peavey pickups.

17. Monotremata

Monotremata Tele-Afflicted

I threw a Hot Puncher in my old MIM standard. Didnt have any problems with the order/shipping/quality. I just didnt dig it because it would NOT get clean hah. I play mostly really grindy metal anyways and it was great for that but once in awhile i like to clean it up. It was so hot it would distort the BBD in my Boss BF-2 all by itself with no dirt pedals on.

Im probably getting the HOT 60s Alnico for my Classic 60s soon. Theyre usually who i look at first when i think about pickups cause for the price ya cant beat em!

18. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

The coil tap makes it clean up quite nicely. Most buckers sound meh split imo. The Puncher actually pulls it off.

19. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's

I have only purchased one pickup from them, a Hot Overwound Retrotron Nashville. I put it in a 51 body and wired it like a single pickup La Cabronita. Love the simplicity of the guitar and the pickup works well.

Attached Files:

20. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

GFS Lil Punchers Cool Vintage demo:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.