GFS body - and my first partscaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Sharkblues, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Sharkblues

Sharkblues Tele-Meister

Got my body yesterday. The Cardinal Red is stunningly beautiful! The body really feels soft, like its going to dent and scratch VERY easily!

[​IMG]

Already, I know the neck holes won't align with my MIM neck. I've already made imprint using the trick of screws in neck then put pressure on the neck in the pocket. I'll remeasure today to make sure before i drill.

Thanks to CrazyDave911 for this tip!
    http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g179/nadzab/Strat%20Build/100_3653.jpg

I got a length of 3/16th dowel and today I plan to redrill the original holes with a 3/16th bit and start filling them.

[​IMG]

The other problem I found is the 2-way switch on my MIM control harness is bottoming out in the cavity. I think I need to dig out about 1/4 inch to make it fit, or use a smaller switch (which I don't want to do). Did you have that problem? The depth of the body is 1 3/4 and the control cavity is 1 1/4. I'm not sure how much more I can dig out.

[​IMG]

2. alscort93

alscort93 Tele-Meister

I think the control route is 1-1/2" deep. I'd compare you're MIM body if you still have it.

3. samato

samato Tele-Afflicted

I'm considering buying the same body so I'm looking forward to more pics. I find it really hard to judge the color from the pics on the GFS site. In general red is hard to judge in pictures for me I think.

I'm thinking about buying one of these bodies and adding binding to it (double bound maybe). Might be better to just start with an unfinished body, not sure.

4. vinman

vinman Tele-Meister

From my experience, the GFS bodies always need some kind of work. The finishes are usually fine. I have used several including the paulownia. The control pocket always has to be routed deeper and I have had to make adjustments to a pickup route and the string through holes are always off. So, what you're seeing is common. I still would use GFS bodies knowing that I will have to do a little work on them. IMHO, they can't be beat for the price unless you go for a used body.

5. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

That's my pic in that link from CrazyDave911...it shows the CIJ neck I put on an SX Strat body, and did the old fill & re-drill. Worked great.

That looks like it's going to turn out to be beautiful. Can you perhaps bend the solder lugs on the switch to get a bit more room in the cavity? Might not give you that much, but if you do that and route out between another eighth and a quarter inch, I bet you'll be OK.

6. Sharkblues

Sharkblues Tele-Meister

Coming from a family that has no practical skill like this, and having opted for Home Economics (I'm not a bad cook) instead of Shop in school, I know I'll make mistakes and will make a point of documenting them. So those of you looking at this project and asking yourselves if you should try, well, hopfully this thread will help you answer that question.

Thanks to nadzeb! Sorry I missed that that was your pick and idea. So, credit where credit is due.

Samato, the Cardinal Red is very close to the first pic.

I to thought of bending the solder lugs, but nope; still not a fit.

So, any suggestions for digging out the control cavity?

7. samato

samato Tele-Afflicted

I'm no expert but I'd say a router is your best bet though I've seen people use a hammer and chisel to deepen a control cavity. It works but it's a lot messier and you have a better chance of messing up and going too far. Still, I'd probably try the hammer/chisel method instead of buying a router and bits for 1 little job.

8. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Tele-Meister

I really don't know much about the process of adding binding, but the finish on my GFS is very thin and brittle. If you need to chip any of the finish away I could see problems .

9. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

I'd suggest a Dremel if you have one, but I'm thinking that the shank wouldn't be long enough to get down there. If you have a drill press, or can get access to one, you could probably do the job with a regular drill bit, just by drilling, moving over a bit, drilling again, etc...and you could set the depth so that you're sure not to drill out through the back.

You could try the same thing with a hand drill, marking the bit with a piece of tape so that you don't go to deep, but you would have to be extremely cautious.

10. JG806

JG806 Tele-Holic

I'd get a sharp wood chisel and carve out the space you need. I've done that on several of my bodies. Easy and only one tool needed...maybe 2 if you need a hammer.

11. KenH

KenH Tele-Holic

Or use the Asian 3-way box switch which isn't as deep.

12. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

Good idea, as long as it works and isn't scratchy, a switch is a switch is a switch.

13. Sharkblues

Sharkblues Tele-Meister

Well, I’ve learned why these bodies are $49. The neck holes are REALLY OFF! The new holes had to be moved so far forward that the neck plate has a little over hang.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if the proximity to the edge had anything to do with the paint chipping, or maybe the tight fit of the dowels, or if it was my carelessness, or all three, but I did get a lot of damage to the paint when drilling the new holes. I wanted to start with a small pilot hole and gradually get larger, but I didn’t have small drill bits long enough. The neck plat over hang pretty much covers the damage, but I know it’s there.

[​IMG]

This wood is so soft that I had no trouble digging out the Control Pocket in just a 10 or so minutes. I used a drill tool i borrowed from a neighbor and a chisel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall, the project wasn’t too hard and took only a few hours. The bridge, lined up with the pre drilled holes nicely as did the stings on the neck, the pick guard, and control plate lined up well too as far as I can tell. Other than the neck holes, all the other holes drilled without problem.

On the plus side of using the GFS body: I love the color, the body is SUPER LIGHT, the string holes are drilled right, and of course the low cost. Even with my limited setup skills I was able to get the intonation and string height to a very acceptable level.

The only real downside was the neck holes, but that is HUGE if you ask me. A little off is not only acceptable, but expected due to what I've read from other threads. But to have that kind of overhang of the neck plate was very disappointing.

I guess these bodies are really the luck of the drew. So know that going in. I really don't get why they can't get all the holes drilled right in the first place! I would pay $10 and probably more knowing I was going to get something that didn't need to be redone. I bet they wold sell more too.

Anyhow, sorry for being so long winded! But again, I’m adding the detail for guys like me without much experience with these things.

Finally the guitar:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. samato

samato Tele-Afflicted

I like it. Good work.

Thanks for the details and pics.

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yeah, i've found that my GFS clearance body will not line up with a wilkinson half bridge, when i line up the ferrule holes with the string holes on the bridge, the opposite end of the bridge protrudes slightly over the bridge pickup route.

16. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I'm just curious - why couldn't you just drill new holes in the neck?

17. Sharkblues

Sharkblues Tele-Meister

Gearhead, I could have, but I figured the neck hole were drilled right and why alter a perfectly good neck for a $49 body that could turn out to be junk.

Blowtorch, are you like me? Would you have paid more to have the holes drilled right?

18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Shark, I paid $31 for mine, so I really dont feel I can complain at all. BTW the drilled neck holes on mine lined up fine.

You are right about these being super-soft. Also, I cracked the finish pretty well in a couple of spots just screwing a neck on.

19. collectiveoasis

collectiveoasis Tele-Meister

Thanks for the pictures and information regarding these prefinished bodies from Guitar Fetish. I was wondering the quality because it's just good enough to bite on for the right price. I never want to spend a ton of money on my builds even though they end up that way in the long run. Do you think that an unfinished body and one of their necks would have better luck fitting than their body with another neck, like the experience you had with your MiM? I'm really thinking about spending some extra cash, skipping the soft wood and thin finish I've heard about and going straight to one of their bare wood unfinished ash bodies or something. I really enjoy the painting part. I was thinking Ash or Poplar. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

20. Sharkblues

Sharkblues Tele-Meister

Collective, I have no idea if their bodies and neck would line up, but I bet it too is a gamble. I don't like GFS necks, radius mostly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.