GFS Basics Tele Body

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Strato50, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

i grabbed a lake placid blue one. They have that fall sale going on. I’ve had great luck with the poplar XGP ones. These are full size thickness and Basswood which I’m a fan of. Hope it turns out to be decent. It’s getting a Warmoth neck on it. Anyone tried these basic bodies? Will report back when it arrives.

brbadg likes this.
  2. mikestearns

mikestearns TDPRI Member

I have not tried one, however a friend of mine did and it needed a lot of work to be able to fit a neck right. I've found that with GFS stuff in general things tend to fit a little weird and need a little help when they arrive. Though some people get them and their fine, so who knows?

Tippy likes this.
  3. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I’ve never had any issue at all with the fit and finish on the XGP bodies. These I’ve never tried. Hope they have the same specs. Jay has been good so far. Hope it’s okay.

4. mikestearns

mikestearns TDPRI Member

That's good to know, I've considered the XGP bodies a few times. The only issue that I've had with GFS stuff is that I bought a loaded SSH Strat pickguard a few years ago and had to file it a little to fit on my strat, then later when I bought upgraded single coils I had to file out the pickguard more to fit them, but it was a $30 loaded pickguard, what are you gonna do? I wouldn't expect perfection at that price.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I'm currently putting together a Tele from a Paulownia GFS body and a Warmoth neck. I've finished Tru Oiling both, and I've done preliminary fitting together. I've discovered the pre-drilled "neck mount" holes are not perfectly "synced up" with either the neck or the Fender neck plate. The body holes are also too small for the screws to go through without binding. I'm going to have to fill them with glued dowels, then drill properly positioned holes. Oh well....nothing but a "thing".
    BTW....there was NO issue on an XGP body I used several years ago. EVERYTHING fit precisely.

StrangerNY likes this.
  6. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Like most things, you get what you pay for. I've had good luck with them but haven't bought much.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I bought two of them, both pawlonia. A double bound black one that I put a Strat neck on...

[​IMG]

And a white one - the one on the right with the Babicz bridge and Hipshot bender.

[​IMG]

The only work I had to do was shave out the neck pocket a little on the black one, otherwise everything worked as advertised.

I know a lot of people have had problems with them, but I did all right with mine. Good luck!

- D

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    zippofan, brbadg, djh22 and 1 other person like this.
  8. nojazzhere

How did the overall weight on the paulownia guitars come out? My body came in at 2lbs 9.5 oz.....and the neck about 2 lbs. I'm hoping everything combined will be under 6lbs.

9. StrangerNY

The double bound one is ridiculously light - just under 6 pounds, most of it the maple neck (with locking tuners). The white one is around 8 pounds, probably due to the Babicz and Hipshot.

Both bodies are crazy light, though. The Danocaster has become the standard since I play it so much (6.5 pounds), but the black one is even lighter than that!

- D

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. nojazzhere

My #1 Telecaster, which has had a ridiculous amount of modifications, is exactly 8 lbs......not as much as many, (especially Les Pauls) but on a three or four hour gig it gets heavy and tiring. The one I'm building has all the features and specs of the #1, but should be considerably lighter.

11. StrangerNY

That's definitely the way to go! Between the Dano and the black Tele, I can breeze through a full night with minimal ache.

Humbucker gigs, though - LP Standard, 10 pounds, Trussart Steeltop, 9 pounds. Kind of a pain, but I love that sound...

- D

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

I haven't tried them yet, but a youtuber I follow built three telecasters using the GFS necks and bodies. Very deep tutorials he did on them. Worth watching. He did have to tweak on them (the XGP necks and XGP bodies did not fit together out of the box.) He also got a standard body, but the GFS pickups he bought for it would not fit. Cavities were too small.

His name is 2bikemike

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oh yeah, I built 3 last month. They all turned out well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

I have to mention mine sorry but I had such bad luck, not only did it have dents all over it but the neck pocket was chipped and way too narrow, i'm sure your luck will be better than mine but as far as i'm concerned I will never use them again. I fixed a few things but then realized that the neck holes were completely out of wack so I just put the damn thing on the fire! they offered no refund what so ever for a defective product. but of course you get what you pay for and I went the cheap rout. they gave me a complete piece of junk at the end of the day, when I think about it I get quite annoyed...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  15. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

My experience with multiple GFS bodies is that the neck pockets are all over the place with size & alignment, thru-body string holes don't align with the tailpiece, ferrule bosses do not share the same center between the 1st & 6th strings, plus all the stuff that others on this thread have mentioned with the exception of those saying everything fit because I haven't seen that happen yet. For the amount of work that goes into a "ready to use" body, I have decided that future builds will be built with wood components sold elsewhere. I only buy pups & knobs from GFS now.

ben smith likes this.
  16. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I’ve bought about 25 or so bodies all XGP only one had a bad neck pocket. I’ve only used AllParts necks on them. I had no problem returning that one body. Maybe because I’ve bought so many? Any for 40 bucks and basswood I’m willing to give it a try. If it has a few finish flaws that’s okay. I will post pics of it as I go. This one gets a Warmoth neck and some Fender 52 pups.

17. stuffinplays

stuffinplays TDPRI Member

Which body is $40? I tried using the codes on the LPB XGP body and it came out to ~$90 shipped.

I've used one of their XGP strat bodies before, there's about 10,000,000 threads about XGP bodies on the internet and reviews are certainly mixed but I don't recall having any issues with my XGP body. The only thing I really noticed was that the color was off. It was a "seafoam green" that was less green, more seafoam, pretty much a mix of Surf green and daphne blue.

18. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Body came today everything looks right. Finish is good. Routes look good. It’s got way more weight than their poplar line. This is basswood. It’s getting a Warmoth neck. I’m thinking a Mint Green guard. For 40 dollars all in all not bad. The Color looks a lot better in person. Pretty spot on to my lake placid blue Strat.

Attached Files:

stuffinplays likes this.
  19. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Fender bridge lines up well

Attached Files:

Jim_in_PA and stuffinplays like this.
  20. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

Nice! Lake placid blue is my next one too! Looks great

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.