1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'Gettysburg' 1993

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Northern Tele, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I didn't have the heart to tell him that jheri curl is a hairstyle not somebody! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

2. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Are you a Canadian national or an American living in Canada?

I ask because I am curious about the curiosity of Canadians in the American Civil War.

We think of it as a dark period with a lot of deaths in the range of 600,000. But there was a civil war happening in China (the Taiping Civil war from 1850-1864) during that period that made ours look like a jousting tournament at a Renaissance Festival. Some of the estimates would subsume more than 600,000 deaths in a year, maybe even in a really bad month when the extended casualties from famine and diseases were included.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taipi...ch is,the theocratic Taiping Heavenly Kingdom.

Northern Tele likes this.
  3. Guitarzan

4. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Very cool. And I stand corrected, very happily.

Northern Tele and Archtop Bill like this.
  5. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

The book Gods and Generals is sooooooo different from the film. The book was essentially the story of General Hancock with a dose of George Custer. The film was “Stonewall Jackson was a nice guy. “ i spoke with Jeff Shaara in Gettysburg (mostly how von Richtofen met George Patton at the 1912 Olympiad. Both medalled In equestrian competition) and he was not happy how his book Gods and Generals was perverted into the film.

6. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Good movie. I haven't seen it in awhile. It is THE battle, in my opinion, that shows the hype around Lee as some kind of military genius to be absurd. All of Lee's boneheaded moves are on display in that battle. Sent his boys into a meat grinder through his own arrogance. Good on him. It was the battle that had the largest number of casualties of the war and broke the Confederacy's back. They did right by turning Lee's property into a national graveyard. I'm sure Lee felt the shame of that. I'd take a Sherman over a Lee any day.

Northern Tele and Archtop Bill like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Absolutely wonderful story!

Archtop Bill likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

If possible without breaking any forum rules can you tell me why that is?

9. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

Sorry my first reply got deleted as it contravened posting guidelines(my apologies to admin.)

Anyways, yes I'm Canadian, I live 10 minutes from the border in Southern Ontario and I find most people in this area follow US new/events far more closely than our Canadian news. It is simple. What happens in America directly effects us, more than domestic issues. Gettysburg PA is only 5 1/2 hrs away so really close as well.

The civil war interest is simple. It is fascinating, bloody,heroic and tragic-for anyone interested in history it is impossible to ignore. It is also not that long ago when you think about it,150-160 years ago is nothing.

10. Guitarzan

Shelby Foote has been frequently quoted for his statement, "It was a very strange war". And it was. There are many tangential paths one can take in exploring and learning about the war, and one good one is the lack of monolithic thought, reluctance, and lack of total commitment to war on both sides.

Neither the north nor south were monolithic in their thinking, desire for war, or their sympathies. The votes for secession were close and narrow, and it took several rounds of voting in some of the conventions to get the numbers. S. Carolina was a little different. That meant a lot of division and pain from majority rule.

Some friends own a property in N. GA mountains in a voting district known as "Canada" that was formerly a militia district known as "Canada". A creek there known as Canada Creek is a headwater to the Toccoa River which flows into TN and is known as the Ocoee and a significant whitewater destination. The reason it known as Canada is that the people in the area declared secession from the Confederacy and professed to be a part of Canada because they did not particularly like the Union either. The Confederacy had a conscription policy that mimicked the union policy and allowed people to buy their way out, and the draft was very unpopular on both sides among those drafted. The Confederacy had a very high desertion rate among conscripts from certain areas, specifically mountain folks.

Some info on what has been referred to as the "Inner Civil War" in the links below. Charles Frazier wrote the fiction book Cold Mountain and likely relied on books such as Bushwhackers, a tale of conflict, deserters, and the homeguard in N.C.

https://www.americanheritage.com/souths-inner-civil-war-0

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1595584757/?tag=tdpri-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1581825870/?tag=tdpri-20

https://www.gainesvilletimes.com/co...left-many-families-divided-georgia-mountains/

11. duzie

duzie Tele-Meister

image.jpg
    I believe his son Jeff Shaara continues to write books in the style of his father.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    stormsedge likes this.
  12. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

I thought this was about the Brandos song.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.