1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'Gettysburg' 1993

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Northern Tele, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

People complain that it is too long at 4 1/2 hrs but personally this is a film I can watch over and over again. I wish it was 10 hours ha ha.

Always been a bit of a civil war buff but it is the superb acting that draws me in. I really think Richard Jordan as Gen Armistead is some of the finest acting ever featured in a motion picture. He died soon after filming so I think it must have informed the performance.

Anyways. ..just rambling

Dan R, duzie, Unionjack515 and 3 others like this.
  2. Northern Tele

Also, I'm kicking myself for never visiting the military museum/Park when I had the chance. I live right on the border but who knows when that will be open again.

Also, if anyone can tell me (I've looked cannot find answer). When Gen Hood followed orders but 'under protest' what exactly does that mean in military terms? Like is it just noted somewhere in the historical record that he thought it was a bad idea or is there the possibility of repercussions . Just curious.

3. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

I remember really liking that movie- though I probably haven't watched it in 20 years. Tons of great actors in that film.

I went to the Battlefield museum with my family when I was a kid. I bought a bullet from the museum store for a dollar. Apparently the battlefield is still covered with them:

Bullet.jpeg

Unionjack515 and Northern Tele like this.
  4. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

Sp
    Spooky. I need to watch this film. I can’t say that I’m convinced in the existence of ghosts but I love to hear peoples’ stories. I’ll bet that battlefield would have more than a few.

Jlwctn and Northern Tele like this.
  5. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

I *believe* in those days "under protest" simply means he expressed his opinion that the order was not 100% to his liking, but being a good soldier, he will follow the orders given, and do nothing less then his best. More of a "cover my a** " type thing.

ie: don't put the blame on me if this ends badly, I didn't like the idea from the get-go.

As far as repercussions...kind of depends how things played out.
    If it worked and the orders were a good call....I'd imagine some crow would be eaten, and he might have fallen out of favor....and probably should not question orders again anytime soon.
    If he made the correct call, and the plan fell apart.....well...."told ya so...don't put this on me".

Northern Tele likes this.
  6. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Been there many times, we take our Scout troop to do the hikes every couple of years. The local council has a special patch for completing all of the legs of the hike.
    My brother-in-law was an extra in the film, he was a reenactor with the 20th Maine, so we actually picked him out of a couple battle scenes.

7. Northern Tele

That is so cool.

8. Northern Tele

Awesome story. I'm so mad at myself for not going, we went to Virginia a few years visit the Luray Caverns (which were amazing),went to Washington DC,drove almost right through Gettysburg but it was a bus tour and they wouldn't stop.

zippofan likes this.
  9. Northern Tele

Thank you. I kind of figured it was something like that. I read that years after the war Longstreet sent a letter to Hood and asked him to give an account of the battle. He obliged and it was basically his "I told you so" moment. but really, Longstreet did everything to try to convince Lee not to try this attack so he was just following orders.

10. FenderBenderNY

FenderBenderNY TDPRI Member

Aw man, never expected to see a thread about my favorite movie on here. I’ve been going to Gettysburg at least once a year for the last 30 years. I plan on retiring down there in another 30 years or so. Something about that place just draws me in. And the movie is great. At this point it’s partly out of my obsession with the Civil War/Battle of Gettysburg and partly out if nostalgia for the early 90’s when I was a kid and just getting into re-enacting. Could watch it on an endless loop. There’s a shop in Gettysburg called the Regimental Quartermaster and they actually do play it on an endless loop. Have you seen the prequel Gods and Generals?

11. Northern Tele

I'm waiting for my Blu ray of God and Generals to show up, I'm hoping it arrives tomorrow so I can watch it on the weekend, I saw it on tv many years ago but it was cut so I am really looking forward to watching the uncut version. You are a real expert on the subject so I will kindly shut up lol. Aside from the Killer Angels,any books you could recommend. I was thinking of getting Shelby Foote's 3 volumes.

A place where events like that(not that there are many events like that) takes place somehow it must do something to the land, not in a spooky way but in that it commands an awesome respect and I have heard many say they feel it is a special place of reverence and awe. So many brave men on both sides dying there. like 50 thousand in 3 says...it staggers the imagination. I hope to visit one day.

Unionjack515 likes this.
  12. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

This is the battle that prompted Lee to say,"It is a good thing that war is so terrible, otherwise we should like it too much."

Stubee likes this.
  13. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I’ve never seen the movie. I read “Killer Angels” and found it extremely compelling, then played it in my truck on a road trip with my wife. She is unlike me not a fan of war movies or books, but when we arrived home with the audiobook not finished she went inside and listened to it until the end.

I’m mostly a WWII history buff, probably because my Dad was active in it but have read a number of books about the Civil War, too. The Gettysburg battle is nearly inconceivable. I’ll have to watch that movie.

Teleguy61, Dan R and glenlivet like this.
  14. FenderBenderNY

FenderBenderNY TDPRI Member

My favorite book on the battle is called Gettysburg (A Testing of Courage) by Noah Andre Trudeau. Very good single volume history. If you really wanna get nerdy you can get Harry Pfanz’s works on the battle. He wrote 3 highly detailed volumes that I find really helpful when I’m on the battlefield itself. If I’m just feeling like reading about the battle and I’m at home I usually grab Trudeau’s book. Stephen W. Sears has a good single volume history too.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I hate when someone asks me if I know the Gettysburg address. Why don't they just google it, or better yet use the GPS on their phone, how hard can that be?

16. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Great film...I gotta watch it again!

But some of the casting was WAY OFF!

Martin Sheen as Gen. Lee?! Pleeze!

Tom Beringer was almost as weird for the part he played....

I thought Robert Duvall would nail Gen. Lee in "Gods and Generals" but that was a true snoozer!

17. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

I am nearly sickened by the fact that the SCORE hasn’t been mentioned yet! You all should be ashamed of yourselves. Not only was it a wonderful film but the score was absolutely incredible. There’s even some really nice acoustic guitar playing sprinkled in there. Give it a listen.

Northern Tele and ataylor like this.
  18. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

Yep. I was gonna say — great film with an equally wonderful score.

Unionjack515 and Northern Tele like this.
  19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Haven't seen it, but a selection like that, creates serious doubt of all other aspects.

20. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

Great film, watched it several times.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.