1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Getting the most from a Bigsby and 3 barrel bridge

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Esquire1, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Esquire1

Esquire1 Tele-Meister

Hey all. First post here. I did search and found a good thread on mounting a bigsby and an ashtray bridge, but figured this was specific enough not to bury it in that thread.

So I've mounted the bigsby, ground the bridge plate. Everything lines up, but the threaded steel barrels make a TON of noise in use. I rub a pencil point over it, and get quiet operation for 2 days or so, then the "CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK" comes back:mad:

I'm tweaking the nut, and getting better tuning stability, but is this something that will settle in at the saddles? Is there a trick I'm missing, or do you bigsby/ashtray boys just do something like I do with the pencil?

Thanks in advance!

2. SteveY

SteveY Tele-Afflicted

Try the chromed steel barrels with just two relieved bands areas each, like on Customs.
    The early sixties "threaded" or allthread type put an angle where the string rides.

This prolly belongs in "Tele Tech."

3. starjag

starjag Tele-Meister

One of my friends used the saddles from a Squier CV with good results and tuning stability.

4. WrayGun

WrayGun Friend of Leo's

Hmm. My threaded steel barrels don't make a sound that I'm aware of. Is it just unplugged that you're hearing it? Sure it's not the spring on the Bigsby?

5. Esquire1

Esquire1 Tele-Meister

Got these which were mentioned here and in another thread. Low E now stays in tune through a whole session! And no squeeks! Thanks guys! [​IMG]

6. Esquire1

Esquire1 Tele-Meister

Hey Bad Porcupine.

It never made it through to the amp. It was incredibly loud unplugged, but thankfully never made it through the pickups. And I needed to retune every 3 or so songs. The new saddles have solved all that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.