Getting the band back together.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
For the last year one of my gigs has been playing bass in the host band for a Monday night jam at my favorite local dive bar. It’s had its up and downs in terms of success and attendance, but it’s definitely been much more good than bad. All good things must come to an end however, and the other guys have decided it’s just not worth it and it’s done as much as it’s going to.

I disagree. And so does the bar owner. So I’m staying and continuing it. I called up a couple old friends to help me out. Twenty years ago we did two of these a week. One every Tuesday and one every Thursday. Both were insanely successful. But we (mostly me) moved on to other things. Though come to think of it, the bass player is STILL doing the Thursday one we started. We stayed friends though, and I have played with each of them sporadically here and there.

The bass player (I’ll be moving to guitar) showed up to the jam last week. I hadn’t seen him in quite a while and we ended up sitting and talking and catching up long after closing. The drummer has been one of my very best buds since I first arrived in Cleveland 25 years ago. We don’t see each other much anymore as he owns a business that takes up most of his time these days, and it’s about an hour out of town. But I always give him first crack whenever I need someone, even if I don’t think he’ll be able to do it.

I spent Tuesday thinking about how cool it was to talk to the bass player and catch up, and started thinking about asking him to do the Mondays with me.

Wednesday night when the dust settled and it was for sure that the other guys are out, I had a meeting with the bar owner, then I hit both of them. They both said yes immediately. No questions asked.

So a new era begins, with a rather old band. I’m looking forward to seeing what we do together now that we’re all grownups and have so much more experience under our belts. None of us have ever stopped gigging, so it’ll mostly just be a matter of knocking the rust off playing together with each other as a trio again. Here’s to hoping it’s nothing but a real good time.

A pic. Ca. 2002.
L-R: Drummer, me, bassist.
8C840952-683D-4D67-9AAE-B46CC25F03FC.jpeg

Last edited:

Teleguy61

Friend of Leo's
For the last year one of my gigs has been playing bass in the host band for a Monday night jam at my favorite local dive bar. It’s had its up and downs in terms of success and attendance, but it’s definitely been much more good than bad. All good things must come to an end however, and the other guys have decided it’s just not worth it and it’s done as much as it’s going to.

I disagree. And so does the bar owner. So I’m staying and continuing it. I called up a couple old friends to help me out. Twenty years ago we did two of these a week. One every Tuesday and one every Thursday. Both were insanely successful. But we (mostly me) moved on to other things. Though come to think of it, the bass player is STILL doing the Thursday one we started. We stayed friends though, and I have played with each of them sporadically here and there.

The bass player (I’ll be moving to guitar) showed up to the jam last week. I hadn’t seen him in quite a while and we ended up sitting and talking and catching up long after closing. The drummer has been one of my very best buds since I first arrived in Cleveland 25 years ago. We don’t see each other much anymore as he owns a business that takes up most of his time these days, and it’s about an hour out of town. But I always give him first crack whenever I need someone, even if I don’t think he’ll be able to do it.

I spent Tuesday thinking about how cool it was to talk to the bass player and catch up, and started thinking about asking him to do the Mondays with me.

Wednesday night when the dust settled and it was for sure that the other guys are out, I had a meeting with the bar owner, then I hit both of them. They both said yes immediately. No questions asked.

So a new era begins, with a rather old band. I’m looking forward to seeing what we do together now that we’re all grownups and have so much more experience under our belts. None of us have ever stopped gigging, so it’ll mostly just be a matter of knocking the rust off playing together with each other as a trio again. Here’s to hoping it’s nothing but a real good time.

A pic. Ca. 2002.
L-R: Drummer, me, bassist.
View attachment 1049847
Rock it Jake!

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
love it! would love to hear you guys.. would really love to play with you guys!
JD, post a list of tunes you play one monday, I'd like to live vicariously! I had about 5 years or so backing a bunch of different people and I loved how 'differentiated' it was... glad to hear it, thanks for sharing.