Getting That Ventures Sound - How?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by castpolymer, Jan 28, 2010.

1. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I used to own a 60s Ventures model Mosrite, and have played many of them. The pickups are hotter than Fender pickups, but not as hot as Gibson pickups. Other than that, you're completely right. I got to meet Nokie Edwards once, and he said the sound on Walk Don't Run '64 was created with that Red Rhodes fuzz, not the amp being overdriven. It's a very mild fuzz effect, you almost wouldn't even think it was a fuzzbox. I have never, in 20 years, been able to find a fuzz that would make that sound. And yes, he always used (and still uses) very light gauge strings.

I honestly don't think there's anything really special about the sound of Mosrite pickups. P90 pickups will get you close enough.

The earliest Mosrites (like the ones played by Joe Maphis and Larry Collins) had Carvin pickups, and those DID have a very unique sound.

2. Unseen

Unseen Former Member

One has to be careful. The studio amps are one thing; the stage amps may be something else entirely.

3. Unseen

Unseen Former Member

Bob seems to be playing fairly close to the bridge, too.

4. roscoe10

roscoe10 Tele-Meister

Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a technotard so I could post this -- but check out The Ventures "House of the Rising Sun" on Youtube. Live, with Mosrites, so not what I think of as the typical recorded Ventures tone -- but totally badass!

5. Unseen

Unseen Former Member

Wild tangent, but here's Larry Collins (of The Collins Kids, if you know who they were/are, since they are apparently still at it) and he's playing a double-neck that is either a Mosrite or is Mosrite-inspired:

6. ibobunot

ibobunot Poster Extraordinaire

The Ventures

The Sun Also Rises, Penetration, Walk Don't Run - Gerry McGhee

Walk Don't Run - Nokie Edwards

7. Unseen

Unseen Former Member

I'm realizing one doesn't hear that bum-dip-dip-bum-dip drum pattern hardly at all anymore. It used to be the standard rock-n-roll beat and now it's largely a thing of the past. :eek:

8. ibobunot

ibobunot Poster Extraordinaire

Everclear - Walk Don't Run

The Shadows - Walk Don't Run

Roy Buchanan - Short Fuse & Walk Don't Run

U900 - Walk Don't Run... :cool:

9. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I'll guess Fender bassman, bandmaster and tremolux amps. No?

10. Ricky Fung

Ricky Fung NEW MEMBER!

I too am a Ventures fan. There is a certain period Nokie got that illusive sound and get recorded in the album "Live In Japan". During my days as record producer and engineer, one approach to getting that "Live In Japan Sound" is using Mosrite hot pickup guitars, drive it through a Japanese guitar amp of the era which doesn't use guitar modelled speakers but more like full range speakers. The amp distortion will provide that top edge not possible by any pedal I have tried so far.

This has been one tone I sought after.

The modern overdrive pedals are too smooth, whereas the Germanium pedals is more of a "Satisfaction" tone.

11. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Getting the Ventures sound . . . you'll need a second rate drummer and a complete aversion to practising.

12. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I concur with the flatwound strings theory, for Bob Bogle's early leads. Love it all!

When my ex-band played "Walk Don't Run" and "Perfidia" I definitely switched to middle/both-pickups position for "that sound." Vibrato arm helps in tunes like "Perfidia" which they did in a surf medley with "Walk Don't Run."

13. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

A Jazzmaster or Jaguar will get you most of the way there. Otherwise the middle setting of any Fender guitar will also work.

I'm a huge Shadows and Ventures fan and I've covered a load of their songs over the years using loads of different guitars. Any electric guitar on a clean setting with perhaps reverb or echo will get the vibe. In my experience it's more how you play than what guitar you play that conveys the character of a music genre.

14. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, a new sign up and resurrection of a 9 year old thread in the first post.

Chip likes this.
  15. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I get pretty close with this setup! 004.JPG

d barham likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.