Getting Phone Calls From Microsoft

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Sep 21, 2019.

1. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, right.

We have gotten 15+ calls today on our home phone; the caller ID shows our home phone number calling our home phone for each of them.

My Wife answered one - it was a recorded message saying it was "This is Microsoft calling. Your IP address has been compromised globally. We need to change your IP address, or your license key will be invalidated. Press 1 to speak to a representative..."

OK. I can see getting a few of these, but we have been getting them every 20 minutes for 5 hours now.

Relentless fish poops.

Fretting out and Greggorios like this.
  2. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yup, I've gotten the same as well as a variety of other similar calls. I no longer answer any number I don't recognize. Am told this helps to reduce the robocalls as the automation may delete the number as not active. In any case if it's real and important they can leave a message.:confused:

Fretting out likes this.
  3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I hope you know that's not how Microsoft works and most likely someone using your phone and social engineering as attack vectors.

4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Amazing how many scams are out there! I would comment further, but I need to hurry and get the Money Order off to that Nigerian prince before the mail runs.

5. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

I'm moderately confident that @unixfish didn't pick their handle at random

6. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Those people are fun to mess with for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bloomz and Greggorios like this.
  7. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah - I know it's not Microsoft.

They don't have our home phone number. They don't have our IP address; well, they have it in relation to Windows machines at home, but our phone number is not attached.

Microsoft does not call anyone. They don't scan for viruses and notify you externally if you have one. They don't call about IP addresses. This is all a scam.

I am sure if we connected to a "person", they would need a credit card to "fix" these issues.

Last time I got one of these calls, it was because "Microsoft was calling me because my computer had a virus". Yeah, no. It was a live person calling; I played for a few minutes, then told them I was looking at my router logs, and there was no reference of us sending a message to Microsoft. The guy hung up on me.

My issue is not that they called - but that they have called every 20 minutes today. Give up already!

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've been getting calls from "Apple" lately...

9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Bill Gates calls me all the time for financial advice ...

10. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Well shucks. I use Linux most of the time and have still get calls like this.

11. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I get a call nearly every day on my answering machine (yeah, I'm old school, only a land line, no hand held god) with a robotic female voice telling me that I'm guilty of fraud and my SS checks and bank accounts will be frozen unless I act immediately, no doubt by sending them some sort of payment, which in these type of scams, they often ask for gift cards. I'm pretty sure that the IRS doesn't accept gift cards as payment for tax violations. The other popular scam used by these scum to prey on seniors is a frantic call from a granddaughter or grandson, who've been arrested, or in an accident, and desperately need money.
    But, it's been a long time since I've gotten the call from Microsoft telling me my computer has a virus.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    2blue2 likes this.
  12. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Bastards!

13. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Holic

You get the calls from American Express also...I love screwing with them.

bloomz likes this.
  14. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

My elderly father got one of those ransomware virus things a couple of years ago. He called the number and conned them into releasing his computer without paying. They even apologized for his trouble.

Don't cross my old man. :lol:

15. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

FBI has been calling me and saying if I don't come clean on my taxes they are gonna jail me!

Chunkocaster, bloomz and DougM like this.
  16. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My sister in law received one of those "Microsoft Calls" last year. The caller messed with the wrong lady. She quickly turned it around on him until he got frightened and hung up on her. She repeatedly called him back and threatened him bodily harm until he asked her to please quit calling him. Like I said, that caller messed with the wrong lady! True story.

jimilee likes this.
  17. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I guessed you knew that but my work has me in a seat where I never cease to be amazed by the fooling that does occur and at times some of the wrong info or ideas that people have about security.

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I got a very official looking email from spectrum today saying I needed to contact them immediately. It had their logo, the tweeter, facebook, and a couple other means of contacting them on the page. The LARGE click here to give them my personal info gave me pause so I called Spectrum. No one in billing seemed to know what I was talking about so they transferred me over to a nice lady on the technical side, she also didn't know about the email, but while I had her on the phone I had her change my email password, and my Spectrum password. I gave it a little while to allow it all to take affect then emailed myself from my cell phone. My email bounced so I knew the change was in effect I then went to my email management page on my computer and changed out the password, tried it again, and it worked.

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I have gotten ominous calls from Microsoft saying that my license was going to expire and I would need to give them some information immediately or my computer would stop working. First time I got that call was a couple of years ago, so I guess it must not be something you have to be in a big hurry to respond to.

20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I get calls (voicemail since I don’t answer) like this:

“your serious attention ignoring this will be an intentional second attempt to avoid initial appearance before a magistrate judge or a grand jury for a federal criminal offense this is the final attempt to reach you to resolve this issue immediately and to speak to a federal agent call back number xxx-xxx-xxxx....yada yada”

The syntax is always awful...
    I must have have more IRS, fraud investigators, federal agents etc chasing me down than someone the FBI’s most wanted list. I’m a bad man!
    Funny, they never show up but prefer to leave voicemails. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.