1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Getting over the plateau

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by xtelesquirex, Oct 27, 2020.

1. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

What's your method?

When I hit a plateau and can't improve I usually take a break. A few days, weeks, months. When I come back I make improvements again until I get frustrated at the next plateau. Rinse - Repeat.

2. Jeremy_Green

Jeremy_Green TDPRI Member

When I reach the near summit of a new plateau and I begin to grow frustrated, I drop all the trying stuff and just learn some new songs that I have always loved. Or I go back to one I always tried to learn as a kid - only this time do it perfectly. Or I start writing more and more. Writing usually removes me from the whole 'trying to improve treadmill' thing. It's just such a different part of the cranium and the result can be just so much fun.

SRHmusic and xtelesquirex like this.
  3. Reivaj

Reivaj TDPRI Member

Start using a tunning that’s not too difficult but different enough to spark something inside you.
    Like, being able to play properly those Stones’ songs or Tom Morello Riffs, Zeppeling, Sound Garden ... there are golden compositions by all of them, and you may need to develop a proper sound to match.

A particular challenge for me was and still is the riffing oh Keef in Can you hear me knocking’
    What a master class in rocking and rolling. Wow.

That said, I need to switch to bass and to keys to keep my overall musical interest alive, Spanish style guitar is also a quite different approach, makes you think differently and really use your right hand fingers.
    Programming rhythms in a drum machine is something that helps as well. You really take oxygen and at the same time develope a feeling for constructing rhythms that will help with the guitar and with finding the proper space of it in different scenarios (in a full band, a duo, just you, you and a looper etc).

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.