Getting Old vs. Being Old

feldkeen

Tele-Meister
I'm almost 62 and i suddenly feel really old. I'm wondering if it will affect the quality of retirement if I keep working in this unbearable Florida heat. I feel I've had enough but, the economy and my personal finance require me to keep at it. I already have screws and rods holding my lower back together.

I try to stay positive but, it doesn't matter if your cup is half full or half empty if it smells like pee.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
My dad married in 2018, at 71 years old. He was also talking about buying a sea kayak. He shimmies his way up between two rock faces instead of the trail at his favourite point on the coast. When he bought a new Martin a few years ago he was as excited as a little kid to show me.

Like him, I have no plans to get “old”. That’s a mindset that some people adopt early in life too. I’ve met 25 year olds who are ready to buy a timeshare in Arizona. And there’s nothing wrong with it - everyone has different things that interest them and it doesn’t have to defined by societal expectations of whatever is “age appropriate”.

Aside from medical exams becoming a bit more adventurous and maybe needing a fire permit for the sheer amount of candles on your next birthday cake, it’s nothing more than an integer value.

cometazzi

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The one thing I can't seem to get past is looking at women half my age. I do realize that if I spend any amount of time with them I'll lose interest, but I just can't get over that vain side of myself. There are some older women (my age, and my age plus some) that I find beautiful also. There are also a whole lot that... aren't.

Of course, I'm about as handsome as a bucket of dog turds tumbling in a clothes dryer, so I've got no leg to stand on. Being broke, dumb and ugly is no way to play the Romance Game so I don't.

Looks are free, I guess.

Dennyf

Tele-Afflicted
At 66, I have some minor aches and pains that don't go away, but I don't feel old. So far. I just completed a 3500-mile two-week solo motorcycle trip, camping for most of it, and did not struggle with any age-related issues. I currently do not take any medications. My attitude seems to be more congruent with that of younger folks than with people my age.

OTOH, I used to exercise because I wanted to, now I do it because I have to. Not in a heavy-duty gym-rat way, more like simple calisthenics and stretches to maintain strength and flexibility. And the bloodwork from my last physical suggests I better make some other lifestyle changes if I want to stay healthy and off the medication spiral, so I'm doing that. Some are easy, some others take constant attention. Anyway, the point is I have to make some concessions due to age, but so far they don't limit my activity choices.

So while the evidence is stacking up that I am indeed getting old, I'm also doing a pretty-ok job of not being old.

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
well this thread sure brought us out of the woodwork! I’ll be 70 in a month and I’m feeling old, not mentally, but there’s an acute awareness because of lower back pain and knee pain. I can still squat fairly easily, but walking downstairs is pretty painful at times, as opposed to climbing them. Go figure. I still play in a band but don’t know how long that’ll last.

To the OP, the 40s ain’t squat. My Dad is 94. That’s old anyway you look at it! Yes, I have seen OLD.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
As i approach 70, i realize that it feels weird to be the same age as old people.
I was talking on the phone with my younger brother this morning. I had asked him about the funeral of our cousin. He was talking about seeing the our cousins and, as an aside, said "I don't like going to 50-year reunions. Just a bunch of old people there!"

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
I thought it was ironic that about three days after I turned forty I woke up in the morning and my eyes wouldn't focus. Had to sit there and make an effort for a few minutes. Sort of a sign that no matter if I feel old or not, stuff wears out and breaks down.

I try not to be that old guy that always talks about their aches and pains etc. (that used to amaze me as a kid to listen to older members of my family do that) But I'm very conscious of taking care of my health as I get older. Surviving a heart attack that my doctor called a widow-maker will do that to ya, lol.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
When you reach my age, you quit worrying about making it through December, and just hope you wake up in the morning!

Tarkus60

Tele-Afflicted
My father passed when he was 53.......
When I reached 53.....I was like that's fubar!
Now at 62 and old but functional.
I realized what he missed.

bromdenlong

Tele-Meister
The good news on that front is most young women hold no interest for me anymore either. If you stop to TALK to one, you tend to realize you live in TOTALLY different worlds. Hell, I have two daughters who are in their mid-30s, not that far from middle age. They're delightful, wonderful women who've both married great guys and one of them as made me the proudest Pop-Pop I could ever want to be. They have some friends that they (and I) have known since they were kids. Some of whom are quite attractive, but I just can't look at them that way. I can see it, but I don't feel it. It's hard to be attracted to anyone as young or younger than your daughters - it just is. I mean, women in their early 20s, as hot as they might be, look like little kids to me these days. No interest.

OTOH, I saw a movie with Emma Thompson on Hulu the other night. She's about a month older than I am at 63. And I think she's freaking gorgeous. There was a scene toward the end of it, where this newly sexualized (in a good way) old-ish woman is buck naked, looking at herself in the mirror and appreciating her highly imperfect but nonetheless perfect body in a way she never had. Again, freaking gorgeous to me. If I wasn't happily married for almost 37 years and if she's not, and if I thought I'd have even a remote shot, I'd be all over trying to get together with her. Her daughter, almost certainly not (if she even has one). I've been noticing this for a long time. I think I was still shy of 40, on a long weekend guys trip with some old friends, and we were having dinner one night and at the table next to us, was a really amazingly hot 17-18 year old girl. And her family. And while most of the guys at the table were going on about this kid, her Mom was just about as hot but with the wisdom in her face that comes from having lived a bit. Probably about my age at the time or a little bit older. I couldn't take my eyes off of the Mom. I like this about myself, believe it or not. It somehow feels healthy...

-Ray

I wish I felt the same way. In my late 20s I was engaged to a woman 10 years older than me. About the time I turned 30, I found myself focusing on females in their late teens and early 20s. Annoyingly and frustratingly, I still do. One friend in her forties still gets to me, but mostly it's the young ones.

Frisco 57

Tele-Holic
I've got a 17 year old that lives in my head and sometimes, I let him drive!

Ever since I turned 70 (I'm 71 now) I'm turning into an f'ing old man! It honestly shocks me.

jay4321

Tele-Meister
I'm 46 and have been feeling it lately but looking around...

Yeah I'll just come back later

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
I guess this year has brought perspective. My grandma and grandpa both passed months apart at age 94. My best friend got colon cancer last year and is about to pass any day now at 47.

It’s all relative. Sure, I feel old (I’m 37), but I’m sure that’ll seem young in a few more years. Hopefully age informs decisions and makes you do things that will enhance your life. No matter how much life you get.

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I have shoes that are 48.
Why?!? If they match your underwear…yikes!
;)

I‘m 50 in a few weeks. I never thought I’d live this long. I have no idea why. I told my partner last night that I can’t smoke weed anymore because I turn into a junk food eating machine. I can’t handle that garbage anymore. I’m sitting here feeling like poop because of that. Well ok that and all the chemicals, coatings and paints I’ve worked with or sprayed over the years.
It’s not all bad as age should improve your perspective of and appreciation for life and those in it.

It’s why I’m selling most of my budget stuff to get a few really nice pieces.