Getting Old vs. Being Old

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
. . . Sure, I feel old (I’m 37), but I’m sure that’ll seem young in a few more years. . . .
Not necessarily!

I'm seventy, but the oldest I've ever felt was when I was nineteen and squashed by the weight of the world. Couldn't imagine seeing the far side of thirty. Now ninety looks like a cakewalk.

Love the Dylan line "Ah, but I was so much older then, / I'm younger than that now." Describes me perfectly.

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm almost 62 and i suddenly feel really old.
Well, snap out of it!
I'm wondering if it will affect the quality of retirement if I keep working in this unbearable Florida heat.
There's your problem! Come to Maine, the air-conditioned state.
I feel I've had enough but, the economy and my personal finance require me to keep at it.
I took early Social Security opt-in at 63. One of the two best things I've ever done. If you've been paying into it, it might work for you.
I already have screws and rods holding my lower back together.
Ow. I don't feel your pain. Yet.
I try to stay positive but, it doesn't matter if your cup is half full or half empty if it smells like pee.
Thanks! Best line I've heard all day!

Can't wait to tell my urologist.

kookaburra

Friend of Leo's
In a couple of months I turn 48. Whether you consider that 'old' or not likely depends on which side of that line you stand.

When I was in my teens, I used to think 25 was 'old'. Specifically, "when women got fat and ugly". Boy was I stupid and wrong. Ye gawds.

When I was in my 20s, I thought that 40 was 'old'. I'd seen all the "Lordy Lordy, <name> is Forty" cakes among people who were twice my life away in age. I understood that by time you're in your 40s, you're all broken down and decrepit. 'Old' people talk about aches and pains, being tired, and there are endless cartoons about 'old people' and their decline.

When I was in my 30s, I felt like I was in my second 20s. I was dating women in their 20s, and I didn't feel a lick older than 23.

On my 40th birthday, I was overcome with a feeling of dread. I felt as if "it was all over" and that from this point on I would decline into decrepitation and nothing would be easy, fun, or painless anymore. I've stopped dating (various reasons), but it seems like I'm wrong again.

Maybe I've never outgrown the stupidity of youth. I spring out of chairs no differently than I did when I was 14, I bounce back from binge drinking like I was 20 and I seem to have more energy than my peers. I'm a bit overweight and definitely out of shape, but I feel like I could be twice as fat and half as capable, given my lifestyle choices. I truly feel I could (with motivation) get back to the shape and condition I was 10 or 15 years ago, if i put in the effort.

My best guess is that most people on TDPRI are either around my age or older. I've seen a lot of posts about health woes and problems. I'm only mildly overweight, I am on blood pressure meds, and I'm greying, thinning, and ugly as hell, but I'm otherwise fairly unfazed by age.

I know that all this can turn on a dime, but am I lucky somehow to not feel 'old' at almost 50, or am I (yet again) wrong about what 'old' means?
You’re overthinking this.

Uncle Daddy

Friend of Leo's
I have a theory. Once you start wearing high-waisted Dad jeans, yer done for.

Still have the same size trousers as when I was 35

fatty2.jpg

Lonn

Poster Extraordinaire
i'll be 60 in 10 days. 40 and 50 didn't bother me but 60 just SOUNDS so old. SIXTY. There's no way I'm turning 60. Just can't be happening. Doesn't help that my wife will only be 44 a few weeks after my birthday. Well, actually that DOES help quite a lot. :)